I just lost my job.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paladin, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    And now I don't know what to do.

Ever since being dismissed from my university, my job's been the main thing keeping me going.

Now that that's gone, I just don't know what's what anymore. I just feel numb......

2. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

I was laid-off from my first job after college after a couple of years and it was a punch in the stomach. I had a new baby and a new house and a family to support so I too took the loss hard. I found the new job hunt a big frustration but did find something a few months later that helped me get by. Just keep your hopes up, polish up any skills you have, network, and enjoy your extended time-off (play games, get outdoors, etc). It's always darkest just before the dawn.

3. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I'm sorry. Keep your head up, it is very likely something better could come along.

4. megacron

megacron THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!

Ouch Sorry To Hear Man.

5. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

That sucks, dude.

Tough it out, and look for the bright side. It might be for the best.

Can you draw unemployment?

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I know it is really hard to see this at the moment, but I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. There is something better waiting for you out there to find it. Good luck!

7. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    That says it all - get out there & find something to start over with......log off - now.

8. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As aggravating as it may be, you just may find yourself in a better situation in the end. DON'T sit around on your butt playing video games all day.

I had a similar situation where I got really comfortable at a job where I was making decent money, and some management decisions and cutbacks and other fun stuff happened and I was let go. Spent some time bouncing between smaller crappy jobs and unemployment for 6 months or so, and it was driving me nuts. Then next thing I know I got a phonecall for a job interview at a company I had never even heard of before(because I threw my resume all over the place and talked to everyone I could, someone referred someone who spoke to someone else who heard about me), and it was great. The next thing I know I'm making 25% more than I originally was at my old job I had for a while, better hours, better benefits, a year later I've had more pay raises, bonuses, stock options, etc etc to shake a stick at.

While that may not happen to everyone, keep your hopes up and you can find something as good or better than what you were doing before. Spend your time working on things that can add to your resume, even if it means taking classes at a community college and getting some certifications(like if you're in the field of computers), or go hit up every single job fair in your area(they won't get you jobs there, but you'll get to know people who can gladly pass your resume along, as a lot of larger companies will give bonuses to employees to get another person hired).

What you don't want to do is what I did, and sit on your ass getting lethargic for a month watching TV and playing video games all day, because when something does come up you want to be motivated to get it taken care of. Remember, you aren't in gradeschool anymore, so don't think of it as a summer vacation. This is crunch time to get shit taken care of.

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why did you lose the job? Laid off, or something else?

10. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that man. Keep your head up. Hope you find another job stat.

11. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Don't be discouraged.
    Something will come along. It may take up to 8 months but in Canada at least there is record unemployment.
    Keep your eyes and ears open. Focus on staying current and healthy. Polish up the resume and get into job seaking mode.

By the time you get a job, you'll be wishing you'd taken a few more weeks for yourself!

12. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    There is??? Here in Calgary the job market is brutal for employers. It is impossible to find workers. If you want a job here, just walk in and you are hired.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear about that.

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I would go sign up for unemployment immediately, let myself feel bad for a few days, then start getting back on the horse and get to work finding a new job. And in the meanwhile see what you can do to cut down your living costs (for example cutting out all premium cable channels, switching to a cheaper internet connection, or just plain doing without things, etc) , because you don't know how long that unemployment period is going to last, and you want your unemployment check to cover as much of your bills as possible, especially rent.

--Moony

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, for schadenfreude I wanna hear this also. Plus it'll enable us to provide customized, specific advice for your situation.

16. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

I can only wish you luck to find a new job. A better one if you can.

17. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No.

Lost job due to loss of my status as a student. Since employment is related to teh university, I'm no longer eligible (a fact they neglected to inform me after I informed them of my academic changes).

I don't know what I regret more- the fact that I didn't get to kick my supervisor in the balls or the fact that I can't blot out the memory of this with acts of debauchery because it's only Monday.

And it seems I'm not the only one having a horrible day here. One of the local businesses, where I once applied and had thought of going for again, burned down last night.

18. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    What was the job? If you don't mind me asking?

19. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Sorry to hear that buddy, I hope you find something better soon :) ...

20. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Oh MAN. :( 

Try and look on the bright sides.
    I know there aren't may of those when you get hit by bad news after bad news, but try and keep a positive outlook and things will sort themselves out.
    Every cloud has a silver lining, and all that shit.
    But it is true, as cliché and corny as it sounds.