I just have a quick question for you all about pricing

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Capovin, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Capovin

Capovin Well-Known Member

Ok, so I just recently started to get back into transformers, I had the orginal 80's ones when I was a kid. So I go into chinatown the other day and I see the original Megatron (metal bout a foot tall turns into gun w/ scope) and I ask how much it is and they say $130!!? Is that a rip off? or do the toys really cost that much now.

2. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah a foot tall is masterpiece, and yes he costs that much lol, but worth it, moreso than the original

4. Capovin

It won't let me see it, come to think of it, it did look a bit different than I remembered. They also had what seemed like a white repaint of optimus prime labeled Ultra Magnus that was the same size. They're both in boxes that haven't been opened, I'm struggling cos the Megatron looks VERY awesome but I don't want to shell out that kinda cash if I can find a better deal somewhere else.

EDIT: Just searched google yeah that was masterpiece Megatron. I just found it strange cos I walk into the place and everything is TakaraTomy (not hasbro) and they got these old school transformers like hot rod and starscream. I thought I walked into a time warp or something.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Sounds like a pretty cool store.

But yeah, the Masterpiece line is TakTomy. Hasbro's released two of the Masterpiece figures here (20th OP & WalMart Starscream).

Remember though. Hasbro doesn't make the toys, TakTomy does. They always did. Hasbro is just the North American distributor.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Not quite accurate. The more you know, and all that. :) 

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wrong on many levels. Hasbro isn't just a "distributor" - Hasbro INVENTED the Transformers - as in the story, the characters, the mythos etc (well, with a lot of help from Marvel).

The original toys were from old Takara lines, it's true. But nowadays, it's equal input in terms of designs (if you wanna get technical, both TakTom and Hasbro use outside factories to "make" the toys)

8. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    $130 is a rip off for MP Megatron. He can easily be had for under a $100.

The original G1 Megatron has been reissued many times. Going rates are $60-80 for the Encore or TFC editions. Both are only available by import and don't expect to see a domestic release because of gun toy regulations.

9. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    And to add to this if you are in the US, some US online stores that have imported these figures (MP & Reissue Megs) have an orange tip glued to the end of the barrel of the gun for safety purposes (due to gun laws).

10. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, the white repaint of optimus prime is masterpiece ultra magnus, im guessing.. and the old school transformers ur talking about, hot rode and starscream.. those are henkei, i think.. Takara's version of the hasbro classics line...

11. Capovin

Ah, thanks for the help guys. So it does seem to be over-priced. The store itself was alright it was part of a shopping mall it wasn't really the best place to get transformers it seemed like. Do you all have any recommendations for stores in the LA area (namely hollywood) that could have a wider assortment of TF's?

12. Coinhound

Coinhound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Try a comic store first for a referral. Some comic shop workers know exactly were to find the good stuff.

13. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:

I dont know about that.

If you can make the drive, every Socal person should go to the mecha. Frank & Sons.

Or you can try the elevated prices of Anime Jungle in little tokyo.

14. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Back to the original question...

IF that actually had been an original Megatron for sale for $130, that would have been a pretty good deal. Original toys in top condition really do cost that much now.

15. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    ^ QFT. Love it when people remember that.