I just had a notification from the SPCA for animal cruelty.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, Jul 11, 2007.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Well this is just dandy, my roommate has two cats. We got a notice from the SPCA saying that we are providing unsanitary conditions, ill treatment, and have a flea infestation.

Well, I know the apartment can use a bit of a clean up but we've keep our eye out for mildew and mold and we -do not- have a flea infestation. To make this matter more agrovating is that we are not informed of anyone entering our apartment to investigate this. We came home from work to see the notice on our table.

What I'm doing about this now is trying to fix as much as I can that the notice is claiming. Just seeing if anyone has any advice.

Serously, we don't have fleas. I don't know how much I can illistrate for that but I'll lay down on the carpet, using the couch as my pillow, playing my Xbox and havent had any fleas jump me at all.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Time to go headhunting. People cannot just enter your apartment without proper notification - I'd start with the landlord.

3. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Something is fishy...dont they need official documents to enter the appartments to do such things, and , AND on top of that to notify you?

on top of that a document on your table? say what...yeah heads need to roll here.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Is the SPCA a government agency? I thought it was like PETA--just a bunch of folks with strongly held opinions, but not anyone with real authority.

And yeah, MMM's dead on the money. I'd really, really wanna know who gave them the impetus to set that notice.

Far as the actual complaint--having a dirty apartment is to be expected from what I'm guessing are two guys in their early twenties. But I certainly hope there isn't even the slightest basis to the accusation of "ill treatment."

EDIT: Yeah, as far as I can tell from the internets, they're not a government agency. Someone trespassed in you apartment to place that notice--even your landlord is subject to certain specific restrictions on when he can enter a residence leased by a tenant. I'd sure as fuck call the police and ask them if anything can be done. Use words like "harassment," "trespass," and "deeply concerned." But make damn sure your place is clean and your cat's shots are up to date.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  5. DaggersRage

Actually it's 1 guy and two girls *wink*. Anywho, I dont know if SPCA is country wide but they're defently a Central Florida group.

I find it even more annoying that on the notice there is no name marked that the SPCA is complaing about. I also have no signature for the "owner/keeper" of the notice as well. I have the name of SPCA investigator at least.

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    makes u wonder how many times the landlord has entered before without notifying you.

7. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i'd look to see if anything went missing....ever. If they were able to get it this time, who knows if they were in before. I'd file a complain to the landlord (and if need be, the police)

8. Xplosion

Xplosion Banned

are you roomates hot liek Juxs? anyway maybe it was a joek by one of them because its illegal for even the cops t osearch your house without a warant so idoubt the SPCA could. they have it here in jersey to but they dont do shit about anything.

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

Sounds screwy to me.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPCA is a nationwide group, but they're a non-profit charity-type organization, NOT a government agency. Even if they were--even the police need a warrant to enter an apartment, and they need cause to do that.

I seriously doubt the SPCA 'investigator' is an investigator in ANY official sense of the word. You need to call the police, BUT! Only after you speak with both of your roommates and confirm that it wasn't a hand-delivered notice left with one of them.

11. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Get a camera. And a gun.

12. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I think you have a case for breaking an entering, you may want to consult a lawyer.

13. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

If the landlord let them in after getting complaints then it's completely justified. Check your lease, but I imagine you will find something that allows it. You don't own rental property and leases always have something in them to allow the landlord to "inspect" the property. He/she doesn't have to notify you of anything.

Here's a hint...CLEAN YOUR APARTMENT and take care of your animals. Flea infestation or not, clean the hell out of the place. While you're at it, give the cats a bath and give them some flea powder afterwards. Check their ears and around their mouth and eyes for evidence of fleas. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they aren't there.
    Also, make sure their litterbox is cleaned daily. With two cats it doesn't take much for it to get disgusting.

14. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Defiently check if the landlord gave them any authority to come in...

15. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Local police would be the only ones that could do an 'official' notice. Someone's messin' with you. Maybe it's all the scratching behind your ear using your foot that's making people nervous. :) 

-Tony!

16. butz

butz slippery when wet

Wait a minute; if somebody is breaking into his house, why get two more things for them to steal??

17. DaggersRage

If anything's stolen I sure as hell dont know what it is. My 360 is fine, the comic books are fine, the DVDs havent been touched, my airsoft guns are still here. If somebody took somthing then I am not missing it.

18. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Get a Pitbull. Gotta love the irony.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:lolol 

20. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    I believe the rule of whether a landlord can enter an apartment with/without your permission is at the state level, possibly even the municipality level. In New Jersey, a landlord cannot enter your premises.