I just got the call, some questions for any servicemen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, Nov 30, 2011.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Hey guys, I just got the call from my USAF recruiter that they've got a position open for me and March will be my ship date. I guess I just want some assurance that what Im doing a good call, lemmie explain...

I want to go in with a electronics career for the USAF, sadly, my time for recruitment is almost over. I'll be too old for basic at the first of April (yes that is my birthday). The position that's available to me is a mechanical one, Special Vehicles and Equipment. While not a top pick, actually not I choose at all, I do think that it will give me some skills while working, and Im thinking I can then move onto a Electronics job after my first four years in there.

Does that seem like a do-able option, something to get my foot into the door and then proceed onto a career more of my liking? I just don't want my decision for these next four years of mine feel like they went to a waste.

2. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, right off the bat it does sound like a decent option, but do keep in mind that you can cross train after your 3rd year. Meaning that if you wouldn't mind doing more than 4 years in the Air Force, you can cross train into a different career field.....perhaps more one of your liking. Talk to your recruiter about that.

3. DaggersRage

That's exactly what he said too. I just hope I'm making the best call here. It feels like I'm more or less gonna be spending the next four years just kind of waiting.

4. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The four years will go by real fast man. It did for me LOL. And don't worry about it. Just take it day by day, and have fun! The worst thing you can do is over think your situation. I saw a lot of people doing that. Besides, you'll be getting the G.I. Bill (make sure you read up on that heavily.....) so you can use it for school, etc etc. Lots of stuff in store for ya.

5. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Hey,

I am assuming you are going on 28. The AF is VERY selective at this point, and steady booting people out at the moment, consider yourself lucky, that wait list hasnt been moving much with the current economy. Yes you have the guaranteed option to crosstrain at the 35 month mark, but into whatever AFSCs are in shortage. Yes your plan is a viable one, but be advised it still isn't fullproof...the most common electronics job would be in aviation mechanics.

PM me if you have any other questions

6. DaggersRage

Actually Im 27, 28 is the cutoff point, I'll be in basic just before that. I can't think of any more questions at this point, but I got you in mind.

I am aware about guys being let off (doesn't sound that different compared to some other jobs), which is probably one reason Im in this sort of panic mode.

Here's hoping to a good career.

7. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Go in and then retrain. and go to college part time and study if you think you're 'waiting and wasting time'.
    --MOony

8. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Also don't forget after your enlistment... or technically even before it's up you can go into the Reserves or Guard (yes they have fulltime positions too).

9. DaggersRage

Well a slight update happened. I wont be going in for Special Vehicles, but Aerospace Maintenance instead :D 

Still a mechanical position, not my best subject but doable, it sounds like a position that I'd enjoy more as I'd be working directly on the planes, yippie!

10. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Clairvoyance? :wink:  enjoy the flight line

11. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Don't expect to be able to go to college for the first year at least. You'll be working on your upgrade training, and any supervisor worth their salt won't let a new Airman go to school until their CDCs are done.

12. DaggersRage

^^ Good to know, as much as I want to resume college, I didnt imagine I could do that right off the bat.

What is CDC though?

13. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Career Development Course. You'll go to tech school and get your 3-level. Then between a series of books and OJT (On the Job Training), you do your upgrade training to 5-level. This is usually done within 1 year of being stationed at your first base. You're given 1 month to do each volume, so it depends on how many volumes your training has, supervisor's foot-to-ass ratio, and your own personal motivation.

Good luck man, the Air Force has changed significantly in the past dozen years. Just remember that you're never off-duty. They get to, and WILL, tell you what you can and can't do 24/7. I'm not even exaggerating here. Expect to do shit work til you hit E-7. :p