I just found out that Optimus Prime was brought back to life in the G1 cartoon.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AngryChad, Mar 3, 2011.

1. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, last year anyway, when I got back into Transformers thanks to War for Cybertron.

See, I had kind of a strange reaction to seeing the '86 movie in theaters. I can't explain exactly what was going through my 10 year old brain at the time, but it had to do with realizing that most of my favorite characters were gone and not coming back. Especially Optimus.

All I remember is walking out of the theater thinking that there was no reason to watch the show any longer. I don't remember being angry, I think it was more like "well, I guess that's it. they're gone. no more reason to watch". So, I didn't.

That was where the story left off for me for 20 or so years, until the end of last year when I started re-watching the cartoons again (and reading the Marvel/UK comics for the first time). Tomorrow night I will finish Season 2 and introduce my wife to the glory that is The Transformers: The Movie (hey, I watch that American Idol crap with her so it's the least she can do). Then, I venture into unknown territory. Mostly.

Of course I know bits and pieces about what's to come from posts here and elsewhere online, but I've never actually seen any of seasons 3 and 4. Should be interesting.

Sorry if this was boring, but I felt like I needed to write it down. If you've read this far, thanks.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  2. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

I like the ROOP, its decent to watch as is Rebirth.

Season 3 itself is filled with fun animation errors and voice errors as well as some of the best Transformer history all at the same time. Some greatness and some badness, but I have been watching it again recently and I really did enjoy 80+% of the episodes.

Do not miss any part of Carnage in C-Minor, it is critical :eek: 

Have fun, especially if u have not seen it before

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And you've been a member here since 2006? Way to stay ignorant (used in good context). Wish I could with some things but people post things that I wish they didn't so I could find out about it myself (like red hulk's identity).

I did the same reaction with GI Joe after the movie. No Cobra Commander, what's the point.

4. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually don't remember registering back then. I think I must've been looking for news about the live action movie. I didn't actually start posting until last year though.

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Reminds me of that Futurama episode when Fry finds out about the Star Trek Wars (or was it the Star Wars Trek?) and rubs to Lenard Nimoy's head, "I just found out about what happened 700 years ago!"

I think you will like how Season 3 starts off.

6. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Yeah man, enjoy! It'll be a trip for sure. Let us know what you think of Season 3!

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It actually might be harder to find a continuity where a Prime HASN'T died and come back at some point, compared to those where he has.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Carnage in C-Minor is like the "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of G1!!!

9. mirage6530

mirage6530 Mtg arena tag-Rock on!!!#80178

oh the gaps to fill lol after 3 and 4 watch beast wars more history and starscreams spark lol

10. mirage6530

mirage6530 Mtg arena tag-Rock on!!!#80178

oh and dont bore the old lady ur b in debt lol

11. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

i promised myself id never watch Carnage in C-Minor again.

season 3 and 4 kinda bore me. i watched it all.

12. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Just don't expect Optimus to be in it much though... cuz he isn't.
    I really love season three though and the few episodes Prime is in are all awesome.
    I can't stand season 4/Rebirth though.

13. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The series was canceled before the movie came out. No other GI Joe shows aired until 1989 and CC was alive and well. I believe that '89 series had him in the battle armor, Destro was gold and Duke wasn't in charge of the Joes.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Season 3, is interesting, It's weird but i think some episodes have better writing that season 1 or 2 episodes.

15. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Carnage in C-minor is one of the reasons I love season 3 so much. It's just so unbelievably awful that you have to laugh.

16. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow, I had thought it continued for a bit after with serpentor leading the way. Again, childhood false memories. Must have been reruns. I never could get into that early 90s reboot. The Joes were on roids.

17. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

I had a similar experience. I didn't see the movie until it came out on VHS years later and I remember thinking, "Well, Prime's dead. It's all over. No point in bothering with this stuff anymore."

How wrong we were.

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO season 3 was pretty decent for its time. There were some pretty episodes such as "Five Faces of Darkness", "Dark Awakening", "Fight or Flee" and the "Burden Hardest to Bear". I think I should mention "Call of the Primatives" as many consider it the best animated G1 episode ever.

The downer for season 3 is that the animation can be pretty inconsistent and plot devices can be er, "screwy" like the Matrix powering up G1 Scourge, when the movie brought in the concept of the a Transformer "Messiah" aka Rodimus Prime.

19. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks like you missed the mini-series operation dragonfly that takes place right after the movie. It has cc turned back to human form and is a follow up to the movie.

Duke was going to die in the movie so he wasn't in the early half of the show. After awile he showed up again.

20. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    Plan 9 from Outer Space is the best movie ever. I was really convinced that was I really was in outer space waiting for a space missile when I saw that genius work of film.

I mean it's no The Thing With Two Heads, but c'mon what is?

Plan 9 from Outer Space was robbed on Oscar night, I think I deserved 1000 Oscars, and 500 Grammys.