I just finished the Marvel UK run.

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AngryChad, Mar 13, 2012.

1. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It took a lot longer than I expected it to, a little over a year, but it's done. I have finished. It was good.

Anyone else read or re-read this lately? Does anyone know if the G2 stuff will be taken into consideration in Regeneration?

2. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:

No it will not. Not specifically at least. Furman has said he will probably include G2 "concepts" but the specific events of that series no.

-ZacWilliam, basically Jhiaxus coud show up, but he'd be a slightly different character than before...

3. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks. I might still read it then, but I wont be in a hurry. I think I need a break from the old school comics for a while...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    No, and the Marvel UK G1 stuff won't be taken into consideration, either.

From the point the '86 movie hit, the US and UK continuities started branching off in their own directions, eventually becoming irreconcilable with each other, despite the original mandate that the UK comic must incorporate all the US stories into the series. Ironically, it was Furman's own Unicron storyline in the US comic that put the final nail in the coffin of the UK and US comics existing in the same continuity.

Anyhow, Regeneration One takes place in US continuity, so everything like Target:2006, Space Pirates, Time Wars, etc., etc., is all excluded.

5. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not quite true e.g. Furman is using Ultra Magnus in "Regeneration One", who never appeared in the main US continuity. Also, the Wreckers will be there as well.

You won't be hit over the head with UK references, but they'll be there (and so will the characters)....

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    But the UK continuity is excluded. No one EVER said that Magnus and the Wreckers didn't exist in US continuity, regardless of whether they were seen in the comic.

But the fact is, UK continuity includes the '86 movie and carries on from it, whereas US continuity does NOT include the movie, and the movie's events never happened. And never could happen. Because things went down completely differently.

7. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    I can still imagine magnus dropping the odd reference to city of fear and whatnot, mabey not timewars or legacy of unicron as they had major plot points that the original U.S audience never read.
    I dont think it'll just be a case of 'oh hey magnus,whats up? an 80 issue mission you say? well glad your back with us! and who's this? the wreck-gars? ah cool, nice to meet you all!':) 

8. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Not entirely. I recommend you read the continuity notes of James Roberts excellent fan novel Eugenesis

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Any continuity notes that require god-induced amnesia officially count as "a stretch." It works ok for the backstory of the novel, and it's certainly creative, but it's still entirely fair to say that the continuities diverged and are practically irreconcilable.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, yes and no; remember, the movie happened in 2006. Present day Ultra Magnus had plenty of wacky adventures before then.

There's a great website that also talks about the multiple timeline theories for Marvel UK - you might wanna hunt it down.

Bottom line - they may never reference "Buster Witwicky And The Carwash of Doom" in this new run either, but it happened. As long as nothing outright contradicts the "present day" (as in 1984-1990) UK continuity (which remember, branched from "Timeline A" and the movie happening in issue #78, the moment Galvatron travelled back in time; he ALTERED the path of the "present day" timeline) then it happened.

You can bet there'll be some sly references in there, which - if you reread my post - is what I said I was expecting....

11. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Yeah but the book is awesome so it more than makes up for that :p 

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Too late -- I think they already did in the Free Comic Day preview.