I just bought Gundam Wing

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Dalarsco, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I've wanted Gundam Wing on DVD for years, but I've always hated spending a lot of money at one time. Thank god they released those new sets. Each half of the series is less than $50 CND, so I bought them both today. Now I just need to track down Endless Waltz.

2. tranzfan

tranzfan Well-Known Member

Cool. I had a friend that introduced me to Gundam Wing several years ago. I bought the boxed set with all of them when it was released and then she bought me Endless Waltz for my birthday that year. Your post is making me want to dust off those DVDs and watch it again. Good luck with getting Endless Waltz.

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I enjoyed Gundam Wing, although I never finished it. A lot of Gundam fanboys hated it for one reason or another.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    gundam "fanboys" hate it because it's derivative of every series that has come before it, and doesnt have so much as one original idea.

5. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

So what? These same fanboys treat Zeta like some amazing sacred cow. Zeta was only good because it was terrible. At least the first five episodes were. I watched them at an anime convention and it was like SeeD if Kira was a whiny bitch boy and Muu and Rrau (or however that hell those are spelled) didn't even try to keep thier pasts mysterious. It was so terribly 80s how it was obvious that that one dude was really Char Aznables without the mask. It was foreshadowing with a hammer. Wing was a fun show that introduced Gundam to the west on a large scale. Is it the best Gundam series? God no. I found SeeD way better, but Wing was my first series, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. Wing was my first anime since I didn't realize that Sailor Moon and Dragonball were Japanese when I was a little kid.

6. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I never liked wing... way too preachy, super powerful Gundams with no rivals unless the plot called for them to be destroyed by units they had no problem fighting before... Wing was trying to cram the plot lines of MSG, Zeta, and Chars Counter Attack into a 50 episode series and never really doing it right. The only good thing that came out of it was introducing me to Gundam.

If you get the chance, watch Gundam X. Great series, though a bit rushed near the end (was cancelled due to being up against Neon Genesis and getting its timeslot thrown all over the place).

7. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Ya, it does get a wee bit preachy. Another reason I prefer SeeD. I will have to buy it at some point. Maybe I'll start once FMA finnishes.

8. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

I like gundam wing, just not as much as some of the other series.

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    G Gundam all the way, baby! :D 

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

where'd you get them for such a good price?

11. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    At first I despised that for using the cliched "everyone gathers to find out who is best!" concept. But I found myself watching it anyway, and I was intrigued by the use of Gundam designs that represent each country.

12. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

As I remember it a lot of Gundam fans hated Wing for one reason above all and that would be "Wingers" i.e. the fans who saw Wing on CN and then bitched about every other series not being Wing or asking a million retarted questions about Gundam. My personal faverate was when one Winger or another would call Char a Zechs rip off. Thankfuly they disapered for the most part a year or so after Wing was on CN. As to the merits of Gundam Wing it self I don't like it that much nowdays but I still have a sort spot for it as it got me in to Gundam and thus in to anime as a whole.

13. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Nice find! I've got a chinese set of Wing that's not too bad, I do prefer Gundam X though, flows a lot better IMO

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I watched a little of Wing when it was on CN, but G was the only one I've actually seen all the way through. Couldn't really get into W or Seed, and have only seen a couple episodes of a few of the other series.

15. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

They were recently re-released in 2 sets. Best Buy has them around $40/set. I liked Wing, it introduced me to Gundam as a whole and had some cool designs. It did get too preachy in the end, but whatever. Still SEED and Zeta are better.

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I'll be honest. Wing has a few really nice robots, but not many. I liked the Tallgeese, Deathscyth's, and a few other mobile suits. The other shows had much better designs overall.

17. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I'm a little low on cash now, but I might buy G Gundam some time soon. It's also out in the new two volume set. I've heard it's good, but the Gundams of the World thing seems a little bit cheesy to me.
    Most of my favorite designs are found in Wing. I love Deathsythe Hell Custom, Epyon, Tallgeese III, and my favorite suit ever is the Wing Zero Custom with the giant wings. Though it bugs me how in Endless Waltz they destroy the Gundams right after they should have realized that destroying them was a bad idea.
    It would be really cool if they made a follow up with Milliardo off at some far away colony cluster where Mobile Suits are still being made, and discovers that a new army is preparing to conquer an unprotected Earth. It could have a bit of a wild west feel to it, with a lot of people owning customized Mobile Suits. And we can all use more Zechs.;)  THat is another thing I love about Wing. So many sentences become hilarious double entendres when you replace Zechs with Sex. I love how Noin thinks to herself during her first appearance "Zechs. It's been one year, 2 months, and 9 days." Always cracks me up.

18. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Seconded. Favorites are the Epyon, Wing Zero and Maganac.

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    To be honest. I don't really like the Wing Gundams. They're ok, but not close to pretty much any other Gundam design. Take a look at them without the wings. It really shows how plain they are.

Personally, my favorite gundam is Master Gundam.

20. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Gundam 0079 for teh win! :D