I inherited a parrot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Talathia, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

Like I said, I inherited a parrot. Name being; KC. I was supposed to get him after my pseudo-stepmom died. But she decided she "didn't want him anymore". And thus, I have a new friend. Well he was my friend before. But now he's "mine". He might very well out live me.

8) Now to teach him new quotes. *CACKLE*

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

Very nice. I think that's an African Grey, if I remember. Correct me if I'm wrong. My aunt has about three of that particular species in her garage, as well as numerous other birds, reptiles, chickens, etc.

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

My mom had an African Grey when I was an infant. When I would cry at night, my mom would always slip the parrot some peppers on her way back from checking on me.

Once I started sleeping through the night, the damned bird mimicked my cry for years to wake up my mom and get his midnight snack.

4. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:

I think you're right.

If so, they're supposed to be remarkably intelligent. And very long-lived; average life expectancy is somewhere around 60 years.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Pretty neat bird, Time to buy a ship, an eye patch and sail the seas for booty.

6. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

QFT. If you don't, you're just a fool.

7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

My friend had one actually. It stayed in the basement near my friends room. His father would sometimes call down to him and then the bird started to mimic that. It's pretty amazing. Got me fooled a bunch of times.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I want a parrot! Can you teach it to smoke?

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    that is an ex-parrot!

i always wanted to say that.

10. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Aww, pretty adorable. Gonna teach him some TF lines? ;) 

11. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

How long did your step-mom have him?

My girlfriend works at Petsmart and says that they get so attatched to their owners after awhile that if they become seperated they will get severely depressed and start pulling their feathers out and shit.

I think it's crazy that an animal can get that attatched to a human.

12. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

you now have to teach it to sit on your shoulder and tell brats in the supermarket to f**k off

13. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Parrots, especially African Greys, may be the most intelligent animals on the planet after humans. They're certainly right up there with the great apes (the ones that aren't us) and the corvids (ravens and crows). And they're communal animals, to boot; many parrots hang out in flocks. Separate a human child from its mother, and they'll get just as agitated.

(Now that I think about it, most of the really smart animals are generally communal. Humans certainly are, as are gorillas and chimps, parrots, ravens, dolphins... Orangs and octopuses are the only solitary ones I can think of.)

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Congrats!

15. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

Thanks everyone.

Yeah he is.

I have a boat, alls I need now is an eye-patch. And the Chesapeake Bay will never be safe again.

Thanks :3. And I am- They make this device that records short phrases and repeats them every 30 seconds or so on a loop.. and you just leave it by the cage when you're not home. And the bird picks them up sooner or later.
    October 16th... *GRINS*

Ten years. And I know, I used to work at Petsmart too. Although for a good number of those years I lived with them, and visited often. So he is also attached to me. The sad thing is- towards the end she never let the bird out of his cage, and pretty much ignored him.
    If you wanna know another crazy story about pets and humans. My Grandmother had to get her knees replaced and was unable to come home for about three weeks. Her dog was under our care. The second to the last night- before she came home. The poor little guy became very sick, pissing blood and just wouldn't move. Would huff and mope around. We were terrified he'd die before she got home, reaching the age of 15. I rushed him to the vet and all they could do was offer some kind of medication. It helped a little. But bet your ass as soon as my Grandmother came home, his health went back to 100%. He lived for another year and a month after that.
    I think KC will be okay, I'll smoother him with love and attention. He's already mumbling stuff to me. X)

I read somewhere that greys have the same mental capacity and so on as a five year old human child.

Eeee I'm so excited. 8D

16. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

nice!!!!!!!

17. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    mmmm captain morgans rum!

18. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

Parrot are awesome, I have 3.

19. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I would doubt that quite a bit ... possibly some of the cognative skills, but I would doubt the full intelligence.

Most of the debate around African Greys is centered around how much of the language skills they exhibit they actually understand.

20. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Jux has point. If talking African greys understand the context in which they say what they say, then it would be reasonable to call them pretty freakin' intelligent. I don't know if they exhibit tool-using behavior, like crows and ravens, or if they can problem-solve as well.