I honestly find Transformers (2007) to be an objectively better movie than Transformers (1986)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Seth Sunthay, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I find it interesting how this largely depends on if you grew up with the original movie or not. If you grew up with the original, you're more likely to prefer it whereas it's the opposite otherwise.

Both movies brought in an equal share of fan's so I'd say they're good in their own right. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the 2007 film.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I grew up in the 90s but missed Beast Wars, so Transformers Armada and its sequels were my touchpoint for the franchise. By early Cybertron I was growing out of it (with attention shifting to Star Wars as Episode III was gearing up).

Transformers 2007 felt like my Star Wars, or my Jurassic Park. For "tween" me it was the most jaw-dropping movie experience I'd ever had, and the definitive, most advanced use of special effects in film up to that point.

As for the 1986 film, I watched it during the Armada days as a younger kid, and just grabbed it off the shelf from Blockbuster because it said "TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE". I know better know, but I was so confused and turned off by all the characters looking and sounding different, and all the names I did recognize just dying halfway through.

Transformers 2007, meanwhile, succeeded with its slow burn approach. Yes, you had to wait an hour to see Optimus Prime, but the build up to that singular moment allowed it to land with the full force and amazement it deserved. And then, those characters are essentially present for the rest of the film. Prime may have sounded different (I grew up with Chalk, not Cullen), and I might not have known who Jazz, Ironhide, Bumblebee, and Ratchet were, but just as the previous series were always introducing new characters, I fully accepted them. The action was compelling, all of the Decepticons had really cool "boss battles", the score was triumphant, and the movie got a standing ovation at the end. I will always prefer it to the 86 film, which both relies on your previous knowledge and then throws it down the drain.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

Not necessarily. There are movies I saw as a kid that I never want to watch again. Jumanji back then was crappy enough that I had no intention of watching it's remake.

And there are movie remakes that I think either did it better, or are just as enjoyable to watch. :)  Titanic is just as good as A Night To Remember.

4. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    You =/= fact.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I meant in terms of Transformers. But in reality, this behavior usually applies to everything unless the original was just really bad or the newer version was really good. Of course, there are exceptions like in your case.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

I’ve tried enjoying the original movie, but I just can’t. My main problem with it is the fact that so many of the original characters die within minutes of the movie starting. I know that Hasbro wanted to just sell new toys, but it’s pretty jarring when you consider that most of the characters that die were literally untouchable for three seasons. And Optimus Prime, leader of the Autobots, dies because one of his companions got in the way. Oh, okay.

7. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    They killed optimus prime in tf the movie so that's a automatic failure imo

8. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I've watched and enjoyed both movies.
    That said the 07 movie resonates with me more because it's about humans discovering Transformers-much like how the movie was my first real exposure to the franchise. There was real sense of wonder when the Autobots arrived in that dark alleyway, and Optimus starts transforming, accompanied by that memorable "Arrival to Earth" soundtrack.

9. CopperPuppet

CopperPuppet Probably a Robot

Well, I'd go ahead and agree that from an objection standpoint '07 was a more competently made film, and in that regard it is better, however...

I don't think I have any attachment to either. When I was young I watched '86 constantly on an old VHS tape from my dad, but I was really young at the time and understand none of it. Presumably I was only attracted to the colors or something. On the other hand I did see '07 around when it came out and was old enough to actually understand what I was watching, but I was very neutral on it.

Now that I'm an adult and actually have recently gotten really into the franchise, I did decide to properly sit down a few months ago and watch the '86 film and at least the first two of the Bay films. Here we are months later and I can safely say I barely remember '07 existing. Like I'll agree it's a better made film, but beyond two characters, and a plot point or two I hardly remember the movie at all. I won't sit here and say the movie is absolutely awful with a garbage soundtrack. I actually listened to some of the score while typing this, pretty cool actually. Just a shame it nor the movie made any real impact on me, not enough for me to remember it anyway.

Then we have the '86 film, an honestly complete mess that made me realize I probably should have watched the G1 cartoon beforehand... That aside, while it's hardly well made... it did leave that impact on me. The characters and their portrayal here, quotes of theirs, they certainly are memorable for me. I actually like Hot Rod at least in concept, though he is poorly handled in the movie if you as me. (I think I like him more than Bumblebee, please do not hurt me.) I'll admit the soundtrack most of the time didn't leave a huge impact on me either, but... The Touch.

Well, my personal opinion is if you tell me '07 is an objectively better movie, I would agree with you.
    But as someone else has already mentioned, the '86 movie feels like the better experience, even with its faults.
    The original movie carries an essence, a spirit, one that I feel works best with the franchise. Something the '07 film, to me, lacked, and it doesn't make it or its sequels very fun to watch. Sit me in front of a TV with the 1986 movie and dare me to watch it for 24 hours, I'd probably do it though, and I'd make fresh popcorn for every viewing.

• Like Like x 2
  10. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    You need to remember that the 1986 movie isn't really a movie...it's an endcap to two seasons of a TV show in which you grew to love the characters and were invested in them.

Sooo....I would say

Seasons 1-2 + first 30 minutes of 1986 Movie > 2007 movie.

But, the 1986 movie unto itself is a colossal mess of storylines that really go nowhere until they conveniently steer back to Cybertron, where everyone is saved by the hot shot hero and the McGuffin.

You can also say that the 2007 movie ALSO is a colossal mess of storylines that really go nowhere until they conveniently steer back to a city battle where everyone is saved by the human hero and the McGuffin. However, 2007 does a better job of setting itself up to be a self-contained story...you don't require 2 seasons of TV viewing to be invested in the characters. Sooo....

1986 - Seasons 1-2 < 2007 movie

In the end, I'd rather watch either of those before watching any other Transformers movies. TF 2, 3, (maybe not 4, I kinda liked AoE) and definitely 5 can go suck eggs.

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Armada is a series I'd really like to see cleaned up, narrative and animation wise because for all its frustrations I believe the seeds of something great lay within.

12. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 All hail Duke.

Energon was objectively better than the 2007 movie. At least Energon had better characters, a far better art style, and better voice acting.

13. CopperPuppet

I think you may be abusing the word "objectively" in this instance...

14. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

Wooow. Your reading skills are truly phenomenal buddy. Nowhere did I say in any of my posts, that my opinion=fact.

• Like Like x 2
  15. electronic456

electronic456 擎天柱

News Credits:
    Ouch....

I feel a little sad that you had to diss Peter Cullen like that. Along the likes of Jess Harnell, Robert Foxworth and Charlie Adler etc.

16. TFfanatic88

Please, they were all phoning it in, that if you listen closely, you can hear them count down the very seconds till their pay cheques from Paramount clear. The voice acting in that movie makes Mega Man 8's English voice acting sound Shakespearean in comparison.

17. CopperPuppet

I can understand not liking the movie, or thinking lesser of it than some other not-that-good products but... I find it incredibly difficult to believe anyone can say this and remain intellectually honest.

18. TFfanatic88

It was so wooden and I can barely tell who's who for voices. It was just bad voice direction on top of bad writing, bad pacing, bad characterization, terrible art direction, and bad directing. The 2007 movie has no soul or heart, it's nothing but another cynical cashgrab that was shatted out from a creatively bankrupt industry.

19. electronic456

electronic456 擎天柱

News Credits:
    *tries to resist laughing*

Just don't mind what I think of your opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TFfanatic88

The Cult of Bay, ladies and gentlemen. They wouldn't know a good action movie if one came up and smacked them in the face.