I honestly find Transformers (2007) to be an objectively better movie than Transformers (1986)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Seth Sunthay, Apr 14, 2018.

1. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

I can barely remember the 2007 film, despite it being hyped so hard and part of my first and only Botcon experience. Not something I can quote in my sleep like the 1986 movie.

Actually, I find Battle of the Rocklords to be an objectively better film than either of them. No big budget CGI, no deafening heavy metal soundtrack, but it has a clear structure, consistent animation, and no low brow piss jokes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Well, it might be a better movie technically, but I enjoy the 1986 movie a lot more. Although I'm not a fan of the rock music in it, but at least the Vince DiCola soundtrack is there as well which is a lot better.

3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    1986 for me. sure it was an 80s toy commercial at heart but its fun to watch, full of action, has memorable quotable lines and great music and voice acting.

of course the 2007 movie is more likely to attract regular movie goers since yeah, the 1986 movie is incapable of doing so. but for transformers fans, it should be high up there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

TF2007 is the sole reason the Movie Landmine Deluxe mold exists.

That toy is god-tier and there hasn't really been anything quite like it in over a decade.

5. vatarian

vatarian Wyrmspawn

The entire exchange between you two has been gold lmao. Love ya, TFW, never change.

6. electronic456

electronic456 Dog of Raw

News Credits:
    I didn't really say all that much. Honestly I don't mind opposing opinions from time to time.

But sometimes when I pick up absurdity and stuff then I think I'm gonna say a couple of things.

7. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    Whatever floats your boat. I prefer the original to the live 2000 movies. They're just awful. Both have some annoying new characters, but the original had an action packed story, great soundtrack and memorable moments.

Plus the humans don't treat their Autobot allies like a dog that pissed on the carpet. No enemy scrotum jokes. No humpy chihuahua bots.

ETA:
    The Cybertronians are ugly and unrecognizable. It's like if an Alien/Predator Hybrid attacked them and gave birth to...whatever the hell that was!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. electronic456

electronic456 Dog of Raw

News Credits:
    Action-packed(Blackout's attack?,Scorponok?) great soundtrack(Arrival to Earth?) & memorable moments. You're right... Whatever floats your boat.

Also this is just between the 1986 and 2007 movie. We're not referencing ROTF or anything.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

Can't remember a single song from the 2007 movie. The action was so-so. The pacing was choppy and the dialogue unbearably annoying.

• Like Like x 2
  10. electronic456

electronic456 Dog of Raw

News Credits:
    Here's a song from the movie.

To be fair though, I'm sure the original is memorable mainly because it has sentimental value to how you grew up. I know I remember it because of the fandom.

11. Sideways77

Sideways77 RIP Dandy Chiggins

News Credits:
    I honestly prefer every Bay movie to the 86 movie. As tacky as the acting is or bad the writing can be, it's not a shameless Star Wars ripoff made to sell new toys.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Not all that unusual if you look at film history. At the time the Transformers movie was being pitched Star Wars was still a huge force in entertainment. Return of the Jedi had came out in 1983 and every studio had this idea of hey if our movie is some sort of space adventure then people will flock to our movies just like they packed theaters for Star Wars. Every studio was looking for their Star Wars rip off, not unlike how every studio is currently scrambling to launch a cinematic universe because they think that's all they need for Marvel/Disney style money. There were a crazy number of Star Wars rip off movies from all over the world in the 80's most of them forgotten until they end up on something like Mystery Science Theater 3000.

I'm sure somewhere down the road someone will ask you why there was a period where movies were all dark, grim, gritty, and overly obsessed with realism and you will have to explain how studios thought they could Dark Knight their way to success. Hollywood's always been let's rip off what ever is popular until we run it in the ground.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JoshimusPrime1993

JoshimusPrime1993 Rev up and Roll out!

News Credits:
    While I do enjoy the 2007 Transformers movie alot because of the amazing CGI and the kick-ass soundtrack, I do have to say that the 1986 Transformers film is a far superior film overall. Mainly because the Transformers aren't shoved to the sidelines. Yes, we do get to spend some time with the Transformers in the 2007 film but not as much as the 1986 film. Does this mean I hate the 2007 film? No. I still enjoy like I said. Th arrival to earth is probably one of the most iconic scenes in the entire franchise. Please no hate comments.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    this

• Like Like x 2
  15. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

It's not hard to do better cinematography than 1986 TFTM, I'm afraid. Anyone half-competent will succeed at it. The bar wasn't set very high to begin with.

And yeah, watched without thick nerdy nostalgia glasses and judged only as a piece of a movie, a feat of craftsmanship on its own, TFTM is TLK rate of trash.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Not enough robot time in the first live action movie isn't actually a killer. While more could have been done with it a good deal of not seeing the robots is to build up tension and mystery. Barricade actually seems to work better lurking in vehicle mode than if he changed to robot mode the second he shows up in the movie. It's the later live action movies where a lack of robot time kills the enjoyment of the movie.

It's a bit like the Aliens franchise. The first movie it actually works that we don't get a good look at the monster for most of the film. But after you have seen the monster in the first film there wasn't a reason to hide the monsters in Aliens so it was better to go full blown wall to wall monsters.

17. MegaPrime1007

MegaPrime1007 The Great Defender of the Movieverse

News Credits:
    Everyone keeps bringing up the fact that the first film, as well as every other sequel, had a lack of Transformers but Michael Bay has already said that the reason Transformers lack screentime is because of the budget. He even said that with AOE they intentionally worked on changing this and finally had a budget to give the robots more screentime and emotion (and given DOTM's BO performance of $1 billion +, they were finally able to). Skip to 3:48, he talks about it up to around 4:07.

18. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    I agree that the 2007 film is better as a movie. While the 86 film is an overall better transformers story, as well as being more fun, random scenes like the junkion dance scene kinda just....yeah. everyone just starts dancing for no reason while they still need to retrieve the matrix from a fucking planet destroyer.

19. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly shocked at these opinions.
    ....true...

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    Yeah, that is a good point.