I have turned a corner in Collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Necare, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only really started collecting in the last decade or so. When I began I had very limited aspirations and thought I only needed one of each of the main characters without any need for completing lines.

Then I got sucked in, buying everything that looked great and even only semi good.

When the ROTF toys came out I bought them, though luckily did not open most of them. See I was waiting to see if based on reviews I saw or interests in the character gave me more interest in what I had bought.

Luckily for money's sake and for my addiction I returned 3 voyager and 5 deluxe figures (unopened of course) to the stores as I really thought those figures were pretty meager.

The addict a year ago would have opened them immediately and left them on a shelf. I still collect figures but as space has become an issue I have really become very selective. The Alternity line looks great though the price and the metal is stopping men AND THAT IS A GOOD THING.

Could I have just turned a corner? How has your collecting the plastic crack evolved over time?

2. woolypanda

woolypanda Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I first started (about 6 months ago) I was doing pretty much the same thing you were doing. Buying each and every figure I did not have from whatever line. But after being disappointed in several figures (after opening them of course) I've started to change what I buy. Plus, after spending over $1000 on Transformers the last 6 months, money has become a bit tighter. Thus, I will only buy figures that look really good to me or ones that I have researched extensively.

I find one way to help with overspending is to wait for a sale (either at Target or TRU who seem to always have some kind of sale going on). That way, if I get a figure I thought would be awesome and it turns out to be mediocre, I'm not so devastated at throwing down a lot of money on it.

3. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

For me my lines on interest are g1, animated, rotf, alternators. I'm fairly picky when it comes to the lines. At first it was all/only g1. Then animated came out, and the design of the toys won me over. I went on to aquire all of the animated line w/ the exception of leader Bulkhead (intentionally), and Cliffjumper + Dirge. I havent gone "all-in" on any other lines beyond animated and g1. I felt compelled to get all of the animated line, and all of the g1 that interests me. Figures from childhood, and the ones I never had. I "turned the corner" in collecting at some point near the end of the animated line. I realized I had aquired many hundreds of TFs, and my open and enclosed shelving had taken on proportions that I had only seen in the "collections forum" threads. I'm very impressed so far with the ROTF line, so I'm getting those as they come out.

4. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

Unless money is no object, the completist's road leads to poverty and madness.

5. err76

err76 Well-Known Member

EPIC QUOTE for sure!

6. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I havent turned a corner, however no extra money keeps me from buying stuff :)  And keeps me drawing.

Do you think you'll ever get back into it? I think if I could afford it I would have more new stuff.

7. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    You only live once, enjoy it, feed the joy.

8. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Maybe you lost interest. Maybe you found something else that you enjoy more. It's all good. For most people just a matter of time.

9. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let me say that I haven't stopped collecting. Not by a long shot. However, I have evolved into a very selective collector and just felt REALLY free returning those figures that I knew I wouldn't want.

I know, I know...how many of us have passed a figure only to realize when they are long gone and being sold at triple the price on ebay that they are a MUST BUY.

But with many of these ROTF figures I don't think that will be the case for me.

10. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

As collectors many of us have gone to a different end of the spectrum than most. Most TF buyers (kids, etc) buy them because they saw them in a cartoon or in one of the movies and had to have them because they were cool in it. But many of us study the figure and if the figure speaks to us we got to have it and end up buying many more than we really care about.

You need some kind of personal connection to drive your collection. Animated did a solid job, as originally I hated the concept as much as most and had no interrest in buying any of the toys. But I ended up liking quite a few characters from the show and got quite a few of the toys. Hopefully the next series does as good a job.

11. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    I'd say I definitely turned a corner about 1 year ago when I sold off some 75% of my Trilogy & '07 Movie figures. I only kept the figures I truly liked & got rid of all the pointless repaints... :lol 

Since then I've focussed on completing my Classics/Henkei (which I've since done) as well as picking up the G1s/BWs figures I've always wanted (while also grabbing an Animated/ROTF figure here & there... heh). I reckon I've definitely become much more selective/picky in regards to what I'm acquiring these days & that's definitely a good thing (from my wallet's perspective, that is :) ).

12. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    It makes sense. Not every figure from every line was win. There are some that are either just bricks, or epic fails.

13. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

4 years ago, I used to have my collection on the shelves at home and my office. Eventually had my first son, so I decided to box everything up (this was after he dropped a G1 Mirage breaking him at the waist). :D 

I still bought stuff... even bought the USS FLAGG... but everything was put in boxes. Just recently, I finally decided to redo my office and put up my entire collection.

Took a month of putting everything together and up... and now I see how large my collection has grown since 4 years ago.

I've become more selective and what I buy now... mostly because of lack of shelf space... but also Animated has ended.. ROTF toys are not really too interesting to me. Gi Joe Resolute and the Movielines are also not too interested to me.

So I'm currently happy to say that I am complete with my collection (apart for the new animated toys that will come out). :D 

14. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I was in school I thought Alt were cool but didn't have cash. When I got a job in Dallas I picked up the odd Alt and Classic here and there but didn't get the full line. Didn't even know which ones were rare or not. Moved back to Houston right when the 1st movie was coming around. New job, new paycheck. Missed the boat on the Alts and Classics so I hit the movie-line hard. Got two of each. One for loose and one for MISB. That hurt my pockets. When the non-movie characters came out I had realized I wasn't that into bayformers and started buying only one of each because I liked the non-movie movie toys better (stockade, wreckage, etc.). When the Target allspark came out I drew the line.

Then the universe line came out. But I'd learned lesson. One of each, and only ones I like. Then botcon. Damn botcon. After seeing them in person I had to have the henkeis and masterpieces!!!

So here's where I'm at now.
    1) an almost complete loose alt collection, a 99% complete MISB collection
    2) masterpiece seekers plus grimlock
    3) 3 binaltech, 3 kiss players
    4) a large seeker collection
    5) a large minicon collection
    6) 100% classics
    7) a good portion of universe 2.0 (bought on sale, yay!!!)
    8) a growing henkei collection
    9) a small dragon collection
    10) starting to hit the japanese imports, ouch

but on the plus side, all i have from ROTF are 2 HA, 4 deluxes, 1 voyager, couple legends = ~$100. And trying to dump my TFTM toys for cost.

15. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Yeah, for the forseeable future I'm going to be a selective collector. After Animated ended I wasn't sure if I was going to be buying Transformers at all. Some of the ROTF figures were really cool, so I had a short list of figures I'd get. But, as usual I got a little caught up and bought more than I planned. This time however my interest was fleeting. Now I'm back to being extreamly selective.

I know in the future I'll regret not buying everything. It's so easy to say I should have bought those when I had the chance. Because, there is no sacrifice in the future tense. Here and now these things cost money. If I could have them, i wouldn't mind.... but I'm just not comfortable throwing away money on something I'm not really that into. I mean there is nothing wrong with the figures, and Hasbro's not doing anything wrong. I just have so much already.... and it's just not much fun collecting toys from the movie -where characters don't get much (if any) screen time.

I'm looking forward to some TFs and will buy them when they come out....

Leader Optimus (hopefully a repaint akin to the Japanese Buster Prime)
    Leader Starscream
    Human Alliance figures (I really love these, it's really what I want from a movie figure)
    Twins (icecream truck)
    Arcee (maybe)
    All Animated x2
    Bludgeon
    Ratchet / Lockdown (maybe)

That's a pretty small list coming from me.

As an example of how much I've changed.... Until yesterday it's been 5 weeks since I've bought any Transformers. Something I've never done when there are so many new figures curretly on the market.

Hopefully the new cartoon will bring back my joy of Transformer collecting.... because I miss it.

16. Brenttoo

Brenttoo Well-Known Member

I am not in any way insulting or mocking this thread and its subject, because its something most collectors have to think about at one time or another...

But I have to admit the title had me laughing for like a goddamn hour!

It sounds like you were found holding yourself in an alley way, all pale and sweaty, mumbling to yourself, and trying to fit a transformer into a hypodermic needle...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Okay, I'm done.

17. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I think I may be coming to that corning myself.
    I ended up buying a few of the ROTF toys that I probably could have lived without. Namely Voyager Fallen and Demolishor. And HA Bumblebee.
    Yeah, HA BB. I'm just not so hot on this figure.

I'm thinking it's time I get a bit more selective with wich figures I really want.

That's why they call it plastic crack.

18. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

I consider myself fortunate, because I skipped everything from G1 up to the first movie. As far as I'm concerned, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Energon, Armada, whatever didn't happen.

Basically, my fandom looks like this: G1 -> The Transformers: The Movie -> Discovers Girls, Sports, Etc. -> Transformers (The Movie)

So, I'm not attached to a lot of the figures. However, some of them are worth getting. I bought Masterpiece Prime. I'll buy Masterpiece Grimlock. I'll buy Masterpiece Starscream and Masterpiece Megatron. I won't buy Masterpiece Thundercracker or Skywarp or Nemesis Prime or Ultra Magnus.

When the first movie came out, I bought Leader Prime and that was it. I saw Leader Brawl in the store and got him. A few months later, I heard about the Premium series and picked those up, which ended up being the best decision ever. I got good looking Bumblebee, Ratchet, Starscream, Blackout, Ironhide, Jazz, Prime, Megatron, and Barricade. I figured I was close to finishing the whole cast at that point, so I picked up Bonecrusher too. Then I decided to combine regular Blackout with Premium Blackout, so I picked him up cheap.

When RotF came out, I made a conscious decision to only buy figures with screen time, and to only buy the best example of said figures. That went by the wayside for a few figures that got combined with their Premium Series counterparts for more screen accurate bots, i.e. Preview Bumblebee and Premium Bumblebee, Premium Ironhide with RotF Ironhide's head and guns.

So now, I have two shelves for RotF toys. 3 Leaders, 7 Voyagers, 13 Deluxes, and 2 Scouts. The other shelf has 3 Leaders, 3 Voyagers, and 4 Deluxes from the first movie. Retail total: around $750 - $800.

So yeah. I get where you're coming from. It's too easy to get sucked in. And it's an expensive habit. I'm pretty sure that if you went to a financial advisor and said "I'm thinking of either taking up drugs or collecting toys.", he'd probably recommend the drugs.

19. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

Getting a bigger shelf wouldnt fix your issues? xD

20. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    That is so true its not even funny!!!