Fan Art: I have the TF font, but how do I color it G1 style???

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Optimist_Prime, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OK, so I've downloaded the Transformers font, but I cant figure out how make look like this:

[​IMG]

Could someone please help me?

2. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    If you have a program like Photoshop, that'll work best. There's probably a few tutorials floating around the internet, but nothing I can think of off the top of my head.

Another way would be Microsoft Word and using the WordArt feature, typing your text in the TF font, click on the format button, and work with the blending for colors and lines. The only thing is that your file will be a .doc instead of a jpg. file which can be shown as an image on your web browser.

3. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Once he gets the formating of the word art done, he can just select it, then copy and paste it into paint. Then he can save it as a jpg. Ive done it a few times and the results are satisfactory.

4. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Publisher works great for it. They have that color scheme optioned. I'll try to do a sample real quick.

5. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    what software do you have? if you have photoshop then you could do it perfectly in about 5 minutes flat. alternatively, tell me what you want the text to say, and i'll do it in about 5 minutes flat.

6. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have Photoshop Elements 4.0

Sami, I've heard of Publisher but what is it?

7. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

The GIMP is pretty good for this. What I do for this should work in Photoshop, too, though you may have to make adjustments for your particular program. The program has to have the ability to handle layers for this to work.

First, make the top layer in your image the text itself in your desired font. Make the text white and make the background a solid, dark color - black is a good choice. (The easiest way to do this: select the text using the Select by Color tool, then invert the selection and fill that with black.) Make sure that the background color is not also in your pattern for best results. (Just think blue/green-screen - if the weatherman wears blue on a blue-screen, he ends up looking like a disembodied head and hands.)

Second,, make the next layer down the pattern you want the text to be filled with.

Third, set the mode on the text layer to "multiply."

Fourth, with the text layer still selected, go to the Image menu and select "Autocrop Image."

Fifth, choose "Flatten Image" in the Image menu.

Sixth, use the select-by-color tool to select your background color (black, whatever). Then choose "Invert" in the Select menu. Your text should have a dancing outline.

Seventh, cut (y'know, Ctrl-V or Cmd-V) and your text will go into your clipboard buffer.

Finally, paste your next into a new image (preferably one with a transparent background, if you can help it).

You're done! You've got text with a wild pattern. Now, I know this sounds long and drawn-out, but it isn't actually that difficult (it's easier than trying to color in those little letters). It also makes it possible to take any image you like (picture of Optimus Prime, whatever) and make text with that image in it. It makes it really easy to make letters that are "on fire" (using a fire background) or whatever.

A couple of examples I just whipped up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note: If I screwed up these instructions somehow or if you have trouble, let me know. I'd triple-check them, but the old lady wants me off the computer.
    Hope this helps.

8. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    forget all of that, photoshop elements is all you need, ignore the stuff about publisher and gimp. first write your text, then rasterise the layer (by right-clicking) then use magic wand to select all but the text, then invert the selection so that just the text area is selected, then draw colours lines going across from left to right by clicing at one side then holdin down shift and clicking at the other site (draws a straight line between the two clicks) then once youve got all the colours right, go on layer beldning modes (right click on the layer) and fiddle with the bevel and emboss settings to get it to look 3d

9. byngdavid

byngdavid New Member

You are write!...

I've been looking for downloads of fonts and word art to do some artwork with but I'm getting a hard time!