I have ROTF Ironhide, now what? Confused...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Starscreamer217, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Starscreamer217

Starscreamer217 Banned

News Credits:
    Well, for a long time now, I've used the TFA Optimus Prime toy from McDonalds as Prime, and TF1 Legends Ironhide as Ironhide. The two had looked good together: Ironhide's modes and articulation were decent, whilst Prime's limited articulation was compensated with his perfect scale with Ironhide and his accurate vehicle and robot modes.

But a few weeks ago, I was getting that itch again - an itch that said "Get a new fig!" I gave in, and headed to Target. Eventually, with little at Target besides the extremely overrated Human Alliance figs, and the PowerBots, Gravity Bots, RPM's, FAB's, and assorted shelfwarming Deluxes and Voyagers, the only realistic choices were either Voyager Ironhide or Voyager Megatron.

I knew the logical choice was Megatron, as he's better than all other ROTF Megatron's besides Legends, and he'd be perfect with my TFA Activators Starscream. I was considering Ironhide only due to the fact of
    1. Recreating his entrance in Shanghai
    2. The cover boxart for his head was so enticing to draw...

Eventually, the Autobots won the day, and Ironhide joined the team... Or did they? Now, the scale is riduculous compared with my Prime and my Autobots - most of them Legends, Deluxes, and Robot Heroes due to their cheapness.

The only logical thing to do is either sell it, which would make it a waste of my $20, or... well, never use it. I can't return it, since I already opened it, so that was my fault.

I know Leader Prime will probably be perfect size with Ironhide, but that Prime's so expensive, and then I'd have to buy Jetfire.

I shoulda bought Megatron, right?

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Unless you are into Alternators and Binaltechs...don't pay any mind to scale when it comes to TFs...especially across different lines.

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    You lost me at "extremely overrated Human Alliance". Ironhide is a great toy, with a more accurate head sculpt and cannons now too. All I can judge from your post is you actually really hate good toys, so I don't know what kind of advice to give you 'cept stop buying them if you don't like em.

How would selling it be a waste of the $20 btw if you get that or close to it back?

4. Starscreamer217

Starscreamer217 Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, I guess I'm pretty picky when it comes to size.

I called the HA figs overrated because to me, they're just bloated versions of their original toys. Like Bumblebee, well, they'll always make tons of toys of him, but Sideswipe is just a bloated Deluxe fig with his whole top-of-car-kibble deal. Thats just my opinion.

I like Ironhide, I've got nothing against him, its just I know I made a mistake with buying his Voyager if I already have a version of him. That goes for the HA's - no need to buy them if I already have a version of them.

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Sideswipe isn't the best, but he's got his plus points. HA BB though is far more than a bloated version of the deluxe, but if you're into scale he'll drive you nuts since we're never going to get a HA Optimus to go along with him. ;)  Still, it's a great toy, and HA Skids and Mudflap look to be just as, if not better.

Like the man said, don't let scale keep you from getting some great figures.

6. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    ^THIS^

7. Starscreamer217

Starscreamer217 Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks.

Its just that my normal thing when it comes to figs is don't get a fig if you already have another version of it - waste of money, like redecos/remolds. And here, I broke that rule.

8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Wow, have you got the wrong hobby! Scale and size difference is the one unifying factor in collecting TF's that everyone has to deal with. If you can't get past it, then you'll either have a very small collection, go crazy, or bail out quickly. I feel sorry for you if you want to get into the bots infamous for mass shifting (G1 Megs, Shockwave, etc.), your head might asplode.

9. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Congratulations on getting a real transformer.lol

I only ever collect Deluxe and up in size so sorry if i'm being a d-bag.

Seriously though,whats the problem?I get that the scale is off but i'm having a hard time understanding why an awesome toy is giving you troubles.

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

You could just play with it.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Scale is just never going to happen because it would cost people far too much to collect the toys. Or you would end up with the problem of some figures would have to get much smaller since a sports car and fighter jet aren't the same size.

Just toss out scale and collect the ones that are visually appealing to you. Sort of like I just mostly collect the deluxe sized stuff because that's what appeals to me and I skip the smaller stuff. Doesn't mean the smaller figures are bad it's just not a scale that appeals to me.

So if you like the look of the figure you got then you haven't wasted your money.

12. Starscreamer217

Starscreamer217 Banned

News Credits:
    True... I do generally like the fig. Like I've said, I prefer to just get one version of a character, and not get another version.

13. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Unless you have thrown away the box for Ironhide, you may still be able to return it. If you do return it, I would HIGHLY recommend Leader Optimus (though you could still get Megatron.) Especially since all Wal-marts now have all leaders for sale @$35ea. That's only fifteen dollars more for a highly accurate version and very playable toy.

Honestly, nothing is perfectly in scale with Ironhide (or much else), so I'm a little surprised to made it this long keeping in scale. However, I too have a rule when collecting: Only buy one of the mold unless it is a character you absolutely love. Which leads me to the point that if you are serious about collecting, you are going to break your rule every once and a while.

14. Starscreamer217

Starscreamer217 Banned

News Credits:
    I keep my boxes and cardbacks, but I threw away the plastic that held it in place. I also think I've lost my receit, but I'm sure I still have it...

I know, Leader Prime is just... well, PRIME, but he's still so big, so expensive, and I can't really get him without getting Jetfire. :\ That is why I mostly get Legends, Deluxes, and Robot Heroes: they're cheap, relatively faithful versions of my characters.

15. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    I can understand wanting to adhere to your rules. However, I personally like bigger toys because they are more detailed, involved, and, honestly, more in scale so I don't really understand just keeping to small figures (unless you have limited room). Not to be rude about any of this, but I think there is a reason you walked out of that store with Ironhide instead of Megatron.

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait a sec, who says you have to get Jetfire if you get Prime?

I sympathize with the original poster because scale matters to me too, at least for movie toys. I have a shelf of movie 'cons that are pretty much organized around Voyager SS and Megs, so nothing's bigger than them. Then I have Deep Desert Brawl, who is kinda roughly in scale with Jungle Bonecrusher, who is sorta kinda in scale with Mixmaster. This clearly falls down somewhere because Mixmaster shouldn't be so big, but it's close enough for me. Soundwave is there too, so he's a satellite of about tank-size, which works for me, and Ransack is also what I'd consider close enough. Legends Barricade and Legends Sideswipe (getting run over by Mixmaster) round out that shelf. Currently hunting semi-feverishly for a Long Haul to stand next to Megs and SS, as that dump truck really is that huge.

So would I ever put Ironhide on that shelf? Hell no, nor would I use a Deluxe car. But, assuming HA Ironhide isn't announced anytime soon, I may pick up JA Ironhide (will be my first) and deem him "close enough" to hang out with my HA Bumblebee. Because I'm GOING to pick up Bludgeon, and if I do I will probably be tempted into that Ironhide.

Before I forget that I'm poor I sometimes imagine having three movie shelves to different scales. My Decepticon shelf, an HA shelf (with Leaders being "close enough," as it's not like they'll make a bigger one), and a shelf built around Bludgeon, Lockdown, Ratchet, and Brawn.

I also have a Classics shelf, on which scale matters, but rather less...since G1 had a rather liberal interpretation of scale I just want them to look good next to each other. So Jetfire is big, Onslaught is bigger, and the size of most of the characters is Deluxe no matter what their alt-mode is.

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am still confused.
    you act like Scout and above are utter crap because of scale, yet you have Legends and McDonald's toys?
    you ever look at RotF Springer and Jetfire?
    not in scale.
    and just look at any legends car and tell me it's in scale with Jetfire.

What's wrong with just having a toy that looks damn good instead of obsessing over issues that seem Monk-ish?

You want scale? buy model kits. You want TF's buy what looks good and made well.

I usually only buy Deluxes and up so i can see the robots, but Ransack and Springer, imo were so well crafted, i had to have 'em.

Scale....heh.

18. Metallitron

Metallitron Decepticon of Malice

News Credits:
    ...I think you may need to consider taking up a new hobby. Unless Mcdonalds decides to release wave 2 of ROTF toys, I dont think ur gonna solve ur size issue and Im shocked you care that much about Ironhide. Damn, Im proud to have mine;) 

19. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:

Inconsistent scale is one of those things that TFs are all about.

Good news: Jetfire's not that great, and the combined mode is possibly the weakest aspect of it.

Bad news: Leader Class Prime is almost perfect. "Almost" because the tabs that lock into the chest are a potential point of breakage, and the complexity of transformation takes some patience.

The upside is there'll be plenty of them around for a long time to come, and probably a repaint at some point next year.

Kick your heels back, and have a think about it for a while.

I tend to view anything smaller than Deluxe with suspicion, possibly because i used to get stiffed with Mini-autobots as a kid... but Scalpel is great fun.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I can understand that. With some characters it's not a problem because you know you are only getting that character once in a blue moon so you have to take them as is. Other characters though seem to get a ton of releases so you sort of hate to get the figure only to have to get the figure again when they release a slightly better version of that character.