Customs: I have noticed a disturbing trend

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deathsheadx, May 25, 2011.

1. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

I used to come to Radicons to look at the inspiring customs both complete and works in progress. i loved them they gave me inspiration and it was great to see the skill applied to creating such wonders.

however over recent years i noticed something disturbing.

there are some customisers who post their customs, only to advertise the fact that it's going on ebay. (note: i'm not talking about people who post commissions)

some don't even post works in progress anymore, they just create a thread post a few draw droping pictures (which is fine) and then state it's on ebay

i'm not hating on the skill involved, but i'm starting to wonder what happened to just posting a cool custom? and if you need to sell it why not create a sales thread.

i know some people say it's doing no harm, but i find it saddening that some posters only post their customs in radicons as a precursor to it being on ebay, making it seem like a glorified advert.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It's a presentation of the work regardless of the intent.

3. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I saw at least one that was going toward charity......

4. deathsheadx

the disturbing part is when the sale is seemingly the only reason for the custom to be posted. stuff like charity auctions are a different kettle of fish in my mind, they are for a truly worthy cause.

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't see a problem with it. They are customs regardless of intent, and we still get to enjoy seeing the effort and creativity that goes into them. The difference between sales threads and personal project threads is that other people will actually have the opportunity to own those customs.

Is it any better to post your work with the intent to reap praise rather than money?

6. deathsheadx

if people want to make money, make a sales thread.

personally if it was one or two doing it i don't think i would not of had much of a problem with it. but it's becoming more and more frequent, as more posters are doing it, and doing it consistantly. it comes off as if the poster wasn't selling it we wouldn't see the custom, it's starting to come off as some are solely doing this as a business

and i find that disturbing and sad.

also note i have never said it was a bad thing to sell their customs, to profit from them is fine in my mind. i just find it disturbing how widespread and frequent it's becoming, i dread when it gets to the point where the only reason some one gets into customising sole to turn a profit, as it defeats the ideal of customising for fun and for pride

7. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's like a music video. It's entertaining to watch, but it's also a commercial to get you to buy the album.

I don't see how quantity is a problem either. If the result of customizing for cash is more project threads, then I think the community can only benefit from the greater amount of ideas and inspiration.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Not everyone is so idealistic. If someone wants to enter the customizing field with the sole intention of padding their pockets, I say that's their beeswax.

9. deathsheadx

sure.

still find it kind of disturbing

10. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

:lol  I like this.

people make customs for all sorts of reasons. i don't think there's anything wrong with it. Some people see just creating something as the highest point, others think that someone wanting to purchase their creation is the highest. to each their own.
    personally, I'm a little jealous of people being able to make their hobby as a source of income. I'd love to be able to do that. they are all just trying to achieve their dream. Can't knock anyone trying to make a living doing something they love.
    But i agree that a sales thread should be made if it's strictly pictures. but i've seen alot of them where they explain what was done, parts used, etc. Then i think it's in the right place.

Randy!

11. deathsheadx

like i said i have no problem with a customiser making a profit off their work. i just dislike the idea of posting a gallery in radicons solely to advertise a future ebay auction.

in the past i remember a customiser who rarely posts outside of radicons, and rarely comments on other customs, the bulk of their contributions are gallery's designed to be linked to an ebay auction.

i find it strange that, thats all they're seemingly here for, and think that if they're here to do a sale maybe they should do it in a sales thread.

12. Grepicon

Grepicon Well-Known Member

I would like to see some tutorials attached to these customs for auction only threads. Many even leave out the "recipe" on what parts they used. Now, don't get me wrong, they don't have to give away all their secrets, but the tips and info makes me excited and keeps my attention. The absolute worst is when the pictures are "disappeared" when the auction is over. It happens on every toysite.

13. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I would be more disturbed if they DIDN'T post their customs in the Radicons forum. I check out that forum a lot more than the eBay one, and I don't want to miss other people's artwork just because they plan on selling it.

If the person made the same post, but didn't mention the eBay auction, would there be any problem with it? What's the harm in posting an extra link?

14. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

This only distubrbs me when it's a cool custom that I want to make a copy of for myself. Then I wish people would be more open about the materials/base figures they used, even if they don't necessarily have the WIP Pics or a Tutorial. That's why I respect people like Ptitvite, who actually cared to post pics detailing the custom and how it's built. but people who only post pics and then refuse to explain their custom and how it was built...well, it sorta defeats the point of the community aspect of the forum.

But, if they want to sell it, even if they made it for the purpose of selling, then that's their choice, as long as they arent secretive bastards, that's fine.

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    i don't think anyone's a "secretive bastard" - some things are left to learn on your own. Personally, it took lots of lost parts and money to build my first devastator, yet it was a huge learning process. I mean, if you don't want to learn, why not commission the piece? Example is the motorcycle I am rebuilding. I have no idea what I am doing, but the best part about the project is learning as I go. Would be boring and lame to have the process handed to me in an email.

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    So where is the 'disturbing' part?

Who cares? It's still a custom and it's still being posted. Personally, I'm disturbed that this disturbs anyone.

Then we should be hapy for them and celebrate their success... which would have to be based upon their skills and capabilities.

So too is getting the nerve up to post a WIP... only to have it go largely ignored.

17. Treadshot A1

Yeah, but how many people have asked for the thigh and chest parts on your Extinction? There are some things that one can't try over and over, not practically in any case.

I'm not saying everyone has to create a set of picture blueprints, but at least answer some basic questions, and give some basic information, and we'll all be the better for it.

18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    O.k., community and all... but who is actually entitled to the secret recipe?

19. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

i think there's a rule of "no posting ebay links" in your custom threads. the ebay showcase is for that.

and if someone states in their thread/or post, that the custom will be/or already is on ebay, i think it's giving a heads up to the people commenting on the custom, whom like the custom, so they have a shot of owning it.

and i have the required chest pieces for extinction, $100.00 shipped..., j/k. i think that subject is a little off topic, but my humble opinion is that if the person wants an exact copy of that custom, request a commission for it. there's always styrene, and thousands of other parts to use for those sections as well.

20. Treadshot A1

Keep it if you want, but I'm entitled to be annoyed by it. :lolol 

All I'm saying is that if you can share it, then try to share 50% of that. The other 50% well discover on our own.

Anyways...