Digibash: i have no mouth......yet i must rock!

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by mirageandjazz11, Oct 6, 2012.

1. mirageandjazz11

mirageandjazz11 Banned

title says it all......its righteous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok i was terrible at this one but hey i tried and i did this at midnight.

Attached Files:

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Which character is this supposed to represent, an established one, one from another continuity, or something original?

What image editing software are you using? It's not bad in terms of the color matching, but the artifacting in the body is jarring compared to the head, which still doesn't completely match colorwise. You could have also gone for a closer slice to the head, rather than the circular sample you've used. A more irregular, free cut shape would have also allowed you to preserve some of those fine details and antennae on the head.

Other than that, there really isn't much that I can say without knowing more about what you were going for. Unfortunately, and I say this without being a "hater", there isn't a whole lot in the way of original content in this work beyond the color-alteration and the headswap. The color swaps are done reasonably well, and manage to preserve the shading and texturing of the original image, but the image quality itself is somewhat poor for the body. Was it blurry like this when you started? Also, what is this character supposed to represent, what do these colors say about him? If you were to redraw him, how would his posture change?

Another thing that you may want to consider in the future is the proportion of the head to the body. While the cut sample you've used is likely the same size as Ratchet's original head, Soundwave's head, with its more angular shape and numerous protrusions, appears smaller on Ratchet's shoulders, proportionally (and also because it is meant to suit a more lithe bodyshape), giving this work a bit of a "pinheaded" nature. In the future, you could try distorting the head (stretching it so it's a bit wider, for example) to better suit the body it's on (or alternatively, thinning the body).

3. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

Shattered Glass Soundwave he represents

4. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 Getting a job to buy TFs.

News Credits:
    Dat head circle.

5. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    So he's meant to be a Prime reimagining of Shattered Glass Soundwave, rather than a direct "mirroring" of Prime Soundwave? I can see that, but the rest of my commentary still stands. Do you think Prime Soundwave's head fits the character of Shattered Glass Soundwave, such as it is? I also would have looked for a ratchet source image that had a somewhat more "aggressive" pose, to match the more high-energy personality of SG Soundwave. Maybe something like this? I would have also done something to his "first aid logo" on the arm, if possible, even just changing it from a pulse to more of an audiograph/oscilloscope.

[​IMG]

or this

[​IMG]

or maybe even this

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  6. mirageandjazz11

mirageandjazz11 Banned

i am not using the toy that and i cant get rid of the medical signs off his arms and i am only using full body shots.

7. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Why not, why not, and why, respectively?

8. mirageandjazz11

mirageandjazz11 Banned

question 1: i dont want to

question 2: i have a crappy paint editor known as gimp.

question 3: i can't stand non full body shots i like to see people whole not a fraction.

9. dunerunner123

dunerunner123 Optipottamus prime

uh... why dont you want to use the toy? I mean you are using soundwave's toy head, so i dont see a problem...
    Also why not use something like photoshop to get rid of the medical signs, or even fix some details here and there.

10. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'd get a better editing software if i were you.. or at least take some tutorials on using gimp. as it is you look like you're using paint.

also, why are your things all in different threads?

11. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

gimp is not crappy, it is in my opinion almost as good aas photshop. If you couldn't change that med stripe it's because you didn't try. You could have just said screw it and removed it with the brush

12. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Agreed, GIMP is on par with Photoshop, a direct clone in many regards, and with arguably a cleaner interface as well.

Folks aren't trying to put you down, they're just suggesting ways you can improve. You'll find a million tutorials online for Photoshop (90% of which can be used for GIMP once you learn where the functions are) and a good number of GIMP specific ones.

That said, I actually LIKE the "medical symbols" for soundwave here, that heart-beat symbol could just as easily be a base-line symbol. In context it fits Soundwave as well it did Ratchet, but changing it up would help make it feel like a new character.

I like the concept, and I think you should keep at it!

13. mirageandjazz11

mirageandjazz11 Banned

i cant use gimp properly at all. all i can do is small head swapping and hue coloring change.

14. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    GIMP is actually about on par with Photoshop in terms of usability, as far as I can tell. Granted, Photoshop has some extra perks, but GIMP isn't far off. It wouldn't be too hard to remove the symbols. You just use the clone tool.

It's merely a case of knowing how to use the program.

That's why he mentioned the tutorials. If you take the time to teach yourself to use it, the results will be worth it and more.