I have MP-05 and he is........CHEAP!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Absurdicus, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Absurdicus

Absurdicus Ridiculous G2 Combiner

Well, SAL shipping finally turned up my Megatron. After I pried him out of his box-tight packaging (thanks HLJ - first time they've done THAT to me).

Most of you don't know me, so here's the score: I love G1, but I'm not ultra cranky and I don't hate everything since G1, so I'm not some nutcase.
    That said:

I knew I was in trouble when I lifted the box. Super light. I pull Megs out of his plastic prison: bad news. He weighs maybe 1/4 of what he should weigh, in my mind. Diecast is minimal, and in tiny areas (feet, couple tf bars). I dub him "Breakatron!"

Those of you who keep em MIB, this thing's gonna be worth a fortune, cause if you remove him from the box, something WILL break. He'll eventually catch a stiff wind and sail onto the unforgiving carpet and smash something. Or you'll (GASP) try to transform him and something will snap. Everytime I move ANYTHING it makes me check after a SNAP! and something moves.

I've just spent a C-note on an Action Master. I don't see myself EVER transforming him. That said, he's OK. I like the way he looks (though something is wrong in the face, can't place it). I'm gonna just set him next to Ops and have them fight.

If Megs was gonna be released in the US, he MIGHT have resembled the quality and heaviness of MP-1. Last thing: cheap plastic too.

Hard to believe these guys came out with MP-1! Last import for the foreseeable future.

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He's not cheap. He doesn't even look it. Give him a shot. He's my most favorite TF ever.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I disagree with almost everything you say about him. I think he's great, I've transformed mine many times with zero issues. How can you be so sure he will break if you won't even try? And cheap plastic? I don't understand why you think it's cheap plastic.

I do think he should have more diecast, like in the legs, but that's my only issue. After a few transforms, those super-tight joints loosen up a bit, and it becomes much smoother.

4. Maboroshi

Maboroshi Optimal

I thought MP05 was pretty good. It could use more diecast, but mine doesnt make me feel like im going to break it. After a few transformations, I got hte hang of it, and now I can transform mine without any worry. Have already done it many times, nothing broken. I have problems with looseness in the ball joints of the feet and in the arms, though. The feet ball joints are loose enough that my Megatron can quite easily fall over. What was used for that? Clear nail polish? What do I do with it, just put it on? As for the arm, he cant hold up his arm cannon. Every time I lift up his arm, it falls back down. I try and tighten the screw in the center at the top of the arm, but it doesnt seem to have any effect. Do I also need to tighten the multiple screws around the center one? Or just tighten the center more?

I love the thing, though. Have him standing proud next to MP Prime!

5. Absurdicus

OK, ok. I'm gonna try to transform it. I'll regret it but I'll try.

BTW, Mega Moon Man, I always get a vague sense of malice behind each of your posts, since William Murderface is your avatar. I wonder what a multicolored gestalt gives as an impression?

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if he had a lot more diecast, like the amount Prime has, he'd be more prone to breaking. something with a complicated transformation like Megatron doesnt need a lot of heavy metal parts.

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Unity and acceptance?

As for transforming him, just be careful with the problem areas. I'm sure you've read about where they are.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm glad they didn't use diecast. What's good about diecast? Heavy, chippy, dented metal?

He'd never-ever stand with diecast.

9. soundblastc44

soundblastc44 CAPS MASTER...OH YEAH

MP-07 BETTER BE BLASTER [or possibly galvitron] OR IM GOING TO EAT A MINI-CON. [WITHOUT SALT]

[Day 10 of 12..still no soundwave...im waiting toywiz...im waiting.]

10. Absurdicus

All the descriptions of problem areas have been maddeningly complex and I can't tell what to be careful with. Guess I'll find out!

*SNAP*!

:( 

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    THAT'S what it is. No wonder he has been rubbing me the wrong way lately. It's not actually him or his posts, but my perception of his attitude behind it. Which is actually probably wrong because that grumpy avatar makes me think he's grumpy on the other side of the keyboard. :lol  Sorry MMM. I need to not look at that grumpy face when I post.

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    But I AM grumpy, it's true!

13. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

"cheap plastic" is the universal term for "I can't think of a good way to quantify why I'm disappointed in my purchase, so I will blame it on something arbitrary and say the plastic sucks".

I've seen the "cheap plastic" excuse thrown by somebody at literally almost every single toy released by either Takara or Hasbro in the last five years, and it's never been justifiable. Go down to Big Lots and pick up one of those $2 KOs. THAT'S cheap plastic.

14. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

Wait, so to jog my memory, what are the problem areas?

So far I've transformed him twice but I want to know where to keep a closer eye on.

15. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The arms (at the black joints) can be hard to line up, and at least one break reported
    The chest can be hard to pop up
    The hip and upper arm kibble tends to pop off
    Those tiny flaps on the thighs seem easy to snap, at least one break reported

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head. I personally worry most about those thigh flaps.

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I too am majorly underwhelmed by MP-05, but I don't think he's a bad toy - he just didn't meet my expectations. I wanted more die cast/weight, more paint and deco details, etc... he just came up short for me.

Tons of people are enjoying him, though - and that's awesome.

17. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Yeah, I just got mine and while he's not my absolute favorite I'm also spoiled by the Soul of Chogokin figures I've gotten recently so my expectations were probably too high :) 

(Never get MP Megatron the same time as Gunbuster and Ideon!)

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm about three times as happy with MP Megatron as I was with 20th Prime.

19. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well having never owned a G1 megs unless you could wst or actionmaster I am quite happy with him. He is my first masterpiece, although I do have 20th prime.

20. colley

colley Chou Henshin!

I got mine today and I'm severely underwhelmed, honestly.

The problems for me are
    A)To quote J, I feel like I'm gonna break this damn thing. It's like his joints are TOO tight, and sound like they break everytime something moves.
    B)His lower half if way too skinny. Stability is not this toy's strong suit.
    C) Due to B, his posability is heinously hindered. The fact that his transformation results in cutting off any torso articulation also hurts.
    D)Any 'armor' on a ball joint? Doesn't stay on. Ever. Slight move and it pops off. ESPECIALLY the shoulders.
    E)Damn near impossible to get the arms and shoulders to light up properly when in gun mode. I don't know why this is.

Maybe it's just me, but he seems to be too much like G1 Megs transformation wise.
    Maybe I'm just too spoiled on how good MP Prime was, I dunno.