I have fallen in love with G1 figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    As some of you know, I have been collecting G1 figures as of late, and there have been some great sellers on here that have really been helping me with this. So thanks so much to everyone who has.

Now, I really have to say that the more figures I get the more I love these things. I could say that it is a nastolgia thing, but it really isn't. We were rather poor when growing up and I we could barely afford ko's on Christmas, so I only ever had maybe 2 or 3 G1 figures growing up.

But what I have to say is that while these don't have extreme articulation or some elaborate transformation, they more then make it up in charm and whimsy. There is no other way to explain it.

I know the great alt mode debate rages on and on. However, I have to say, I have no issues ever posing my G1 in alt mode. I just got G1 reflector today, and he is amazing. Looks nothing like the cartoon, but it is so stuffed with charm, it is great. It just puts a smile on my face.

Also just wanted to mention that while they are brickyard, there are a lot of figures that are just outstanding regardless of their brickiness. Omega Supreme for one. I cannot wait to get a Jetfire to see how great he is.

I know this will get tons of comments, but I have a full run of the classics line, and there are very few figures that have the same magic that these G1 figures have. It almost seems that the science, technology and the engineering has greatly increased in the new transformers. However the new transformers are just missing that magic that makes the old figures. I am just happy I keep discovering the magic now.

2. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I've always said that G1 is the best ever.

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    In my current collection, I've only got one G1 styled figure, my TFC 9 Starscream. And he's my favorite one out of all them. Maybe it's the simplicity of the figure, or just the plain nostalgia that reminds me of the first Starscream I bought at Sears in 1985 (and then wondered why the hell it looked so different than the TV character).

I find the G1 figures have a certain charm to them, and if I had the money, I'd buy every last one of the Transformer collection books.

4. Slip►Stream

Slip►Stream Seeker Clone

News Credits:
    I personally don't [actively] collect G1 toys at all, however I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell the few ones I still have from my childhood.
    I agree they have a special charm that's kind of hard to describe, but I disagree on the new ones not having any charm.
    The new toys have the charm of actually look or at least better represent the on-screen characters, something always bugged me even when I was a kid back in the 80's.
    Articulation wasn't a big deal back then, we weren't as spoiled as we are now thanks to current technology, so all we had was our imagination.
    That being said, I don't mind picking up G1 toys from time to time, as long as it's a good deal a figure I truly like I'll definitely pick them up.

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong, some of the classics are great. I wouldn't have collected the line if I did not think so. But these G1s just ooze magic.

6. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I don't have the kind of money to buy G1 toys, but the G1 toy I have, Hot Rod, I love. He is a great little figure. He's a brick, sure, but he is colorful, intriguing, and a cool little figure to have.

7. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:

G1 is and will always be my favorite. A lot of it is nostalgia, but as you said they also have charm that is unmatched by newer toys.

BTW, You'll love Jetfire.

8. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There is just something about a lot of G1 figures. I love a lot of figures from a lot of lines but G1 is special.

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    They had their time in my life, and I liked them a lot, of course.

They just don't do much for me today. I don't think I'd re-collect G1 even if they weren't so expensive.

10. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always appreciated the playability due to simple transformations.
    Newer toys are great as well, but G1 will always have a special place in my collection.

11. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    That's awesome that you are loving G1 Alucard. I seriously wish I could have the appreciation for it that you guys do.

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I just read your other thread post. Trust me, your wallet sends its thanks.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I love G1 toys. They're silly, cool, and represent an interesting era in toy robot design. I wish the animation models took more cues from the toys. They'd look a lot cooler and spacey-er.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

Cool to hear that you're enjoying collecting the G1 toys. I love G1 toys, but having grown up with them I guess that is to be expected. But even today, if I want to fiddle with a TF I usually don't grab a newer one, I grab a G1 bot. For me they're still the most fun to play around with.

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    The nostalgia thing is BS IMO. There are very real reasons why they are great toys. Paint and stickers gave them a ton of detail. Limbs don't pop off during transformation. Plastics so hard you could smack some dude upside the head with Powermaster Optimus Prime and knock him out. Transformation doesn't require figuring out how to correctly shove little parts into a shell.

16. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love my G1 figures. Their simplicity is their charm. They prove things don't HAVE to be overly complicated to be fun or impressive. Sometimes sheer size is all it takes (fort max). As I was staying to sell stuff, I ended up holding onto most of my G1 stuff and selling newer figures. While not perfect, their place in my heart could never be filled by another.

17. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Oooh boy. Between my best friend and I growing up we had almost everything up until 87 or 88. I had Megs, he had Prime. I had Shockwave, he had Magnus. I had Metroplex, he had Omega. I had the triple changers, he had the seekers. I had menasor, he had superion. We filled out our christmas lists together.

We had money while my folks were still together. After they split I gather the lawyers wound up with quite a lot of it.. and I never saw my friend again. Eventually my toys broke, I grew out of them. I have none of them today.

I don't collect G1 figures now. I ignore them whenever I see pictures because I know if I started it would never ever stop. It's hard enough to keep up with the relatively finite amount of choices in the modern lines. Good luck to you.

18. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    G1 seems to appeal to the extremes in people. Some people hate it, some people take an exception to everything else.

With me and Transformers, I like the legacy. To me, every collection needs some G1 just as a gesture of appreciation to the roots. I have 84-86 solid, it's just a real shame that a line that started so strong went down hill so fast.
    Still, I have some Pretenders, Head /Brain / Power / micro / Action / Target-Masters, into G2 with it's great garish colouring, and the start of ball joints and through Beast / RiD / Mini-cons to Classics. Each line shows something in the way of progress to getting us to where we are. We owe it all to Takara designs and Hasbros vision.

19. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Haha Amen.

Unfortunately, between cameras and lenses, this whole photography thing is costing thousands on top of thousands on top of thousands.

It's like, I catch a break one place, and then... yea... haha.

There are some G1s that are sexy as hell.

20. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Welcome aboard Alucard. :)  Although I love many lines, G1 will always be tops for me. :D