Customs: I have been thwarted!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ~Insert Name~, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ~Insert Name~

~Insert Name~ Constructicon

I have to say, sometimes I feel pretty goofy. This would be one of those times. I am working on a project, very similar to Ptitvite's and Rumble_Frenzy's Devs. Unfortuantly I have come across a problem. I am trying to change out a head, but this particular head (Energon Barricade) has a rivet of sorts through it. From what I can tell I should say. I took out the only screw I found, and it cause his optics to fall. But I still can not remove the head.

Any help please?

2. cefuroxx

cefuroxx Well-Known Member

heat it up with a soldering iron and yank on it with some vise grips or pliers

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yep. I just attack those from the bottom on the metal part, heating it up enough, it should pop right out.

4. ~Insert Name~

Hmmm. So just the head will pop off right? I mean, the metal rivet will stay in so I may use it for a connection on the new head? I will try this. Thank you, both of you. I appreciate it. I guess I didn't have to create a whole thread for this, I should have just PM'ed someone. Sorry.

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    it's cool to create a thread for this, though I'm sure it's been covered before, some newer Radicons will read this and take note on the process.

The rivet, if I remember correctly, is oddly shaped. Like a top hat, and very wide. I think I actually cut the head in halves and then installed my own peg, then glued back the halves together.

6. ~Insert Name~

Hmmm Interesting thing sir. I was planning on pulling Barricades head off, leaving the rivet, and just screwing the two halfs together around the placed rivet, but I haven't tried anything yet. ((At work)) I will give that a shot. Just trying out ideas. Have to learn somehow.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I had to do this same thing with Cybertron Override. Some of these guys have their heads on bolts.

8. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That is indeed a good tip...heating the rivet from one side. I tried that technique when trying to disassemble TFA bumblebee's knees. Sadly, I was unsuccessful, but I suspect it's because I was using the 'Cold Heat' soldering tool. I'm not sure it generated enough heat. A regular soldering iron might have given better results.

So for anyone who's actually seen these rivets in their entirety, are they one piece or two pieces 'plugged' together?

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    usually 1 piece, shapped like a capital "I" so many different types though.