I have a question for those "in the know" about an HD TV

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Jetstorm, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

So, I've been interested in buying an HD TV lately... mainly because I just want a new TV 'cause the one I have now is pretty crappy (like, if there's a bright spot that stays in one place it messes up the TV screen, if that makes sense >_>)

On Friday and Saturday at the store I work at we're gonna have a sale on a Haier 32-inch HD LCD Television for $399.00.

I was just wondering if anyone here knows if this TV is any good and if the price is good and will it play Blu-ray movies (when I get a Blu-ray player of course lol) and such?

Thanks a lot, I'm not very "in the know" when it comes to HD stuff.

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i would hazard a guess based on the price and the brand that i've never heard of, that the tv won't be that great.

alot of people on here including myself have soft spots for smangsung sets.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Haier make TVs? I knew they made shitty washing machines, but not TVs.

I would stay far, far away.

4. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Agreed, stay away from that brand - horrible.

My plasma is a Panasonic and I couldn't ask for a better picture. Once I hooked up the PS3 and watched Iron Man on Blu-Ray I was almost brought to tears. It was better than I could have imagined.

Just belly up and buy something you know, trust, and can be demo'd at the store. Don't go into such a major purchase blindly.

5. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree w/ everyone else. There are much better brands out there and deals to be had this Christmas season. I'd wait unless you come across a killer deal on Black Friday. Speculation is a lot of electronics will have another price drop around the 15th of December.

6. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

Yeah i'm in the samsung camp. mine is older but i love it and never had a problem with it

7. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Vizio is also another great brand. I have a 32 and 42 Vizio and They are fantastic with the HD from Directv and my PS3 with Blu-Ray. Totally amazing picture!

8. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, just because it isn't named Sony, Philips, Panasonic, et cetera doesn't necessarily mean it's a poor television set. (Aside from that, there are only a few companies that actually make the panels which are then re-badged as needed.)

Definitely check on the specifications for the set. What sort of connections are available? Does it have a QAM tuner (which allow you to tune in HDTV channels through a regular cable subscription)? It's going to be at least 720p, but is it 1080p as well? (At a screen size of 32 inches, this isn't going to matter as much, but the higher resolution will come in handy if you also want to use it as a computer monitor.) Also, what is the warranty?

That said, I haven't seen too many deals this holiday season for low-priced sets. That's surprising with the way things are going, but it is a good price for the one from your work. You may want to get the exact model number and check out sites like avsforum.com to see if anyone has experience with it.

Good luck!

9. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Ok thanks guys, I'll definitely think about it.

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

for bargain lcd's, I'd definitely go with a visio. I "borrowed" one from walmart, and it was great. I would've bought a visio if it wasn't for a raise at work, after which I got a sony.

11. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    if he were buying Ketchup I would agree. But a TV is a major purchase. Just do your research and set a budget. Their are plenty of quality sets at great prices. But also think realistically. Look for deals. I got my Sony Bravia 40in for a song and a dance ($699). I love my TV its only 720p (lol, only like its a bad thing) and I get a great picture. Look at the Black Friday ads and see who is running a good sale. Then google reviews on the various sets. and hey, good luck. Its not easy making a choice like this!

12. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At the risk of stating the obvious:

Research the particular model. Sony, Samsung, and Philips have all turned out a few lemons over the years.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hey, rather than starting a whole new thread, I'm gonna ask my question here...

I just bought a Blu Ray player, but my TV only goes up to 720p/1080i... which begs the question, which should I use? 720p or 1080i? Progressive or interlace?

My 360 uses 720p, but I do that so my sexbox doesn't explode trying to output 1080i... but anyway. Which?

14. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Samsung LCD FTW....

If you are gonna buy a TV, buy one that's gonna last awhile and give you a great picture. Heck my TV is now $300 cheaper then it was last year after the CES. Samsung 40in LCD 1080p...

@tikgnat - http://ezinearticles.com/?720p-Vs-1080i-HDTV&id=91443 <--this article should clear some things up. Basically not much of a difference, but neither is 720p vs 1080p. When compared side by side, you have to get pretty close to see the difference between the 2, but that higher 1080p number just made me feel better and spend more money!!! ;) 

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hey thanks!