I have a question about next years botcon..

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by transformers32, Aug 27, 2008.

1. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hello
    I went to this years botcon for the 1st time and had the best time of my life and will be going to next years also. Was just wondering with the movie comming out last year was botcon better or bigger than this years? for those who have been to the last two and seeing that the new movie will be out next year i was just wondering what to expect. thanks

2. Turnip

Turnip Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well 2007 was my first year and it did actually seem to have been bigger than 2008 but I don't know what they were like before '07 so I don't know if '08 was just a low year for Botcon.

3. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I have a couple questions about next year's Botcon, as well--

When is it and where the hell is it going to be held!!??:D 

4. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ 2009, in the continental United States. Does that help?

The 2007 con was definately bigger in feel and in my opinion better.

5. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personal I thought the 07 botcon as bigger then the 06, & 08 shows main reason why the 07 show was held in the summer. So alot more people may the 07 show their summer vaction. I also felt that the 07 show also had more die hard fans then this 08 show. As a dealer I had more people waste my time this year with stuip question like your really asking $275 for a complete preaking? or why is that jetfire marked at $300 and this one at $200? As well as that a good price on wheeljack, can you hold that well I go get more cash out of the atm.

As far as when, plan on it happening sometime around the 2 movie

6. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I actually think the 07 spike was MUCH more due to the movie and the Hasbro tour than any timing. I know LOTS of freinds that were planning on skipping 07 entirely until the promise of the movie premier and the Hasbro tour pretty much nailed it as a "must attend" event...I know *I* was planning on taking a year off until those things quickly made me change my plans from skipping to "registered within 15 minutes of the reg going live" :) 

7. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    :D  Well done.

I guess I'm a bit irritated at the lack of any news concerning next years Botcon when it seems that with other conventions out there you seem to know about details a lot more in advance.

In fact, I know about guests at upcoming conventions in 2009 that are happening in March 2009, yet we don't really even know exactly when Botcon 2009 is or where it is even being held. All I've heard is Stan Bush will be a guest. Does he (Stan Bush) know any Botcon 2009 details, I wonder?

8. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

I think you can pretty much assume that next years 'Con will be held right around the time the movie opens (Having at any other time would just be assanine). The big question I think everyone wants answered is *WHERE* it will be held.

9. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    2007 was fantastic and better than 2008 and way better than 2006. I thought 2007's location was better in terms of nearby amenities and 2007 had additional pluses (ie the OP truck from the movie on premises, Hasbro Toy Shop being there, the tour, the movie premiere, the SD7 rig, etc). 2007 just stands out far ahead between the 3 I've been to and my hope/expectation that 2009 will be similar to 2007.

10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2007 had a MUCH better feel and more Japanese and G1 Stuff.
    But I spent WAYYY more money at 2008. I was better prepaired in 08 cause I knew what to expect.

Save money or get some Credit Cards ready:)  Get ready to have a toygasim when you walk into the dealers room.

11. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    You're probably correct. But honestly, I put nothing past the way Hasbro can handle things in some very odd ways.

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    It's not usually Hasbro's fault. They give input, but it's up to Savage and company to make the final call. I heard last year's delay was due to an attempt, a really strong attempt, to find a spot on the west coast but they were unable to do so due to it not being cost-effective.

If I have to pay $1200 for 4 nights in a hotel, $600 to fly there, that's $1800 just to start. If i want the full convention experience, that's close to another $400. Plus I want to be able to eat and drink, throw in another $200 to $300. Then if I want to buy anything in the dealer room ...

A California convention would have cost me $3000 or more. Ohio? $700 after airline. Not too shabby.

13. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's understandable.

Given past trends, I wouldn't expect to find out the date and location till January '09 and I wouldn't expect registration info to be up no sooner than 3-4 months before the con either.

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *There would also be the cost of shipping back home if you couldn't get it on the plane. Quite an expensive trip.

15. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    A west coast convention would cost me about $300-400 for the flight (assuming it would be in LA). Hotel would be another $1000 for five nights (half or less if I room with others); and that's assuming we get the usual $125-$140 a night rate. Food, drinks, and the usual "pre-Botcon festivities" would be another $400 - $500 at the least. I'd only buy the convention t-shirt, so my nerd-needs would be minimal.

Staying at Preto's house would save me the cost of the hotel but that's assuming he's got space (I'm sure lots of people will try to stay there) and he's reasonably close to the location of the convention. If not then staying at the hotel is a must because I'm not trying to rent a car.

To top it off, my wife and I are trying to go to Hitchens wedding next year in England.

I need to hit the lottery soon because with three kids doing all of the above will be very difficult.

16. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe that's the main problem, that Brian Savage of FP has stated a few times - he can't find hotels anywhere near that price on the west coast near convention centers.