i have a question about Jazz and movie sounds

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Timmy 76, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Timmy 76

Timmy 76 Well-Known Member

somethings bugged me for a while, why is jazz called "autobot jazz" why not just jazz? on all the toy boxes and other movie gear he has this title but no other transformer is called by their faction first so why just him?

also, does anyone elses dvd have bad sound. on mine all the loud explosions souund really muffled, or am i just being to fussy?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I beleive the whole Autobot Jazz on all the products has to do with copywright laws. In the end, it's just what's written on the packaging, doesn't really have anything to do with the character at all. As for the sound, my copy sounds great. It could be your DVD player or TV's settings.

3. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

Hasbro gradually loses the trademark rights to character names if they're not renewed or reused after a certain number of years. Common words like "Frenzy", "Ratchet" and "Jazz" are the usual culprits here. Normally they'd just use a different name (see also "Hot Rod" vs. "Hot Shot" or "Rodimus"), but certain character names from G1 were deemed worth using in the movie, so Hasbro had to use the same names with their toys.

However, as Hasbro discovered with the Alternators line, they can make an old name trademarkable if they add the word "Autobot" or "Decepticon" before it and use the complete two-word name in all their packaging and marketing. They don't like to because it's awkward, though, and will usually use a different name (see also "Meister").

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah, and just a few other names lost have been Bluestreak (Now replaced by Silverstreak), Trailbreaker, Hound, Tracks, Brawl, and Camshaft. Bumblebee, Ravage and Shockwave were lost to them, but they recently got them back. It didn't start with the Alt. line, it started with the reissues early in 2003.

And in the case of Alternators Meister, from what I've read Hasbro was still waiting to hear back from Porche on their Jazz Protoype and went with Meister, in hopes they'd get the green light from them. Unfortunately Porche rejected it.

We should summon Nevermore here to give a dissertation on the Trademarks/ Copyrights stuff....

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That's a really good explanation of it. I expect the method to be continued in Animated, as both Ratchet and Jazz are supposed to be in the show, though Jazz isn't going to be a part of the main cast threw the series. I can also see it being continued on with the Universe line, as both Ratchet and Jazz have been mentioned as one's that they want to do in the line at some point.