I have a question about a weird smell - yeah, it's my turn finally...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Razorclaw, May 20, 2010.

1. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Dust has started to become a problem with my display case. I don't have time to regularly dust it, and the way it was built it comes with two window panes so there is a 3mm wide split in the middle.

Anyway I closed that split with a strip of plexiglass, and it is a mighty fine job, it doesn't detract from the display at all, and it's a pretty tight fit. Problem with dust - solved.

Now, another problem has cropped up. The place that I bought the plexiglass from kept it who knows were, so it has a strange smell that maybe borders on the stale. It's not obnoxious or anything like it, it's just kinda weird. The problem is the whole display case smells like it when I open it. The smell goes away after 10-15 minutes, but it picks up the smell again after I close.

How do I fix this? Would it be a smart idea to get those car fragrance dispensers in a small can and put it in the display case? Or maybe open up and put a pack of baking soda on each shelf?

2. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:

Yeah, I try to clean out my refrigerator every so often. :D 
    lol But in all seriousness, perhaps let the case air out???

3. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I'm really weird and anal about "fresh air." I'm always opening windows in the winter even if it's just for 30 minutes to get a little airflow.

It might not bother you, but I can't stand air fresheners in cars or in areas where its purpose is to hide stink. It doesn't hide it; it blends in with the stink and makes it so that I can almost taste the stink.

I'd toss the smelly plexiglass and find a new one that doesn't have any stink on it. Or scrub the hell out the one you have.

I hate bad smells.

4. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    Never go into a "RPG/gaming room" then.

I kid, I kid....:D 

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I can only imagine how nice that must smell. Probably along the lines of an early 90's mall Spaceport. Otherwise known as The Giant Armpit.

6. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    I've RPG-ed bunches in my life, never stopped me from regular hygiene. :D 

7. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Yeah, I try to avoid the gaming rooms when I go to the local anime convention. What bugs me most is that you can smell serious BO in line on Friday morning. Friday morning! The first damn day of the convention and people can't take a shower? Ugh.

Anyway, while the plexiglass stuff may have a little to do with it, I think the main problem you're coming to here is simply stale air. You can't see it, but there are all sorts of particles of various natures floating around: living tissue, bacteria, spores and pollen, etc. Eventually those will all break down as all things do, and without any air flow, all that is going to sit in your display case.

So air that sucker out once a week, even for just half an hour. What little dust gets in you can just blow away.

8. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I have a display case that had a smell like that. *pops open case* sniff sniff

Yeah the smell on my case has left. It was a record cabinet found at goodwill. Makes a great toy display with a few modifications like a backboard and cards filling the cabling holes.
    So with my scenario the smell may have been from the records previously stored in the lower enclosure.

Empty the case and Wipe the walls down. That may get rid of any of that PVC smell It sounds like your having.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  9. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

*Rubbing alcohol* :thumbs2: 

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Is that the 70% alcohol you use for cleaning scratches and gashes? How about a povidon iodine? (J/K)

After reading all the responses and since I planned to do some dusting this weekend (didn't have enough time to do that when I sealed the case with plexiglass), I will wipe the whole display case with alcohol.

I also bought a little car air-refreshner just in case (pretty nice green apple smell, somewhat subtle overall, not like the damn vanilla one that had me all watering at the mouth).

11. Skullman

Skullman Dr. Wily's 32nd Robot

Yeah, I use a lot of rubbing alcohol. I would try that.