I have a packaging crisis!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lookout, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Lookout

Lookout Allied decepticon

Hello. I am lookout. I need help.
    So since probably about 1998, I've been all about those transformers toys. I am not very old, I was probably about six in 1998, but I've done my best to keep every figure that comes into my possession, with a few exceptions here and there. (yeah, screw you too, unicron trilogy.) now my real problem is this: I don't see the point in buying a figure if you're never going to hold it, pose it, transform it a few times, etc. it's part of my personal philosophy. so, for the longest time, I would only keep the box/packaging the figure came in for like a week and then toss it. okay, obviously I don't do this anymore, but the problems with my collection are all still relative to packaging in some way or another.

so basically, here are my questions:
    -What are some tips for repackaging toys for sale? tell me about repackaging etiquette: what if all of the twist ties have been thrown out? the box is slightly ripped in the corner? the plastic is smudgy?

-how should I go about storing the boxes of my figures? what should I do with the boxes that are not housing figures? where is a good place to put
    them?

-if I want to resell a toy with no packaging, just...what do I do? like, is that a thing? that people often get money for? or did I just make that up? how should I list them if they have no box and I want to sell them? is that "loose?"

-how much should I even care about the packaging? how important is it? have I just been assuming that every good collector keeps packaging and trying to emulate that?

please feel free to answer with any advice you have because I'm just a total wreck with this stuff. my boxes/blisters are stacked in a corner of a small closet. it's just totally killing me.
    thank you muchlike!

2. Lookout

Lookout Allied decepticon

I'm just realizing that this should probably be moved to the Collecting Discussion, this is definitely a collecting question.

3. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I'm also interested to know how other people store the packaging that they keep. Anyway, here's the only questions I can help you with:

Yes, that's what people mean when they sell it as "loose". No packaging. But people often indicate if the accessories are complete/missing and the instructions are included

Some people throw away the packaging, some people keep it, while others prefer to keep the toys MISB. And there is actually a market for empty boxes and just the instructions if you take a look at ebay

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    First, there's no such thing as a good collector; there are just collectors. Honestly, IMO you shouldn't give two shits about the packaging. With the exception of G1 boxes, 3rd party, or exclusive boxes it's just not worth it to keep the packages. I just cleaned out my entire house and I have about 3 U-Haul boxes (big ones) full of folded up Transformers boxes. That's when I realized that it's completely not worth it. I am now recycling all of those boxes.

I use to think I needed the original packaging when I bought second hand figures off of Ebay or the Junkion Exchange, but why? It's the figure that matters and I'm positive an overwhelming majority of collectors will agree. I've bought hundreds of figures second handed and never once have said "Shit, I really need his box to make this figure complete."

IMO, ditch the packaging. Keep the instructions, that's it. It's just not worth it in the long run to store all of those boxes.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I keep my boxes/cards. i want to eventually have room to display them along with the figures.

though i won't ever sell any figures i own, when i buy from eBay, i prefer to get figures MISB or MIB- having the box and inserts (i can do without twist ties and plastic) gives me a similar experience as getting it straight from the store.

6. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    this has pretty much been my thinking for the past several years. the only boxes I keep are for re-issues and imports. everything else gets junked outside of the instructions.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Honestly, I think Hasbro should opt for a program that allows consumers to return any used Hasbro packaging/instructions directly to them for recycling. Include a postage paid label in each new package. I feel bad tossing the stuff each time I buy a new figure and I think it'd be good on Hasbro's part to set up a division that specializes in recycling the stuff. It keeps things nice and cyclical. I realize I could just dump the cardbacks in a random bin myself, but I kind of like this idea better.

That was actually one of the things I thought about when someone posted a thread asking what we would do if we ran Hasbro for a week. I think my response was the only one that had nothing to do with releasing toys.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  8. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

personally i'd save the packages that can be reused, like the older series that have clamshell/foam trays and toys can be stabilized without the twistties, the cheaper package style (figure on cardboard tied down by twistties) hasbro used is pretty much worthless to me.

9. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I rarely keep boxes, if ever, and I personally feel having it makes little difference to the price if selling. In fact, I'm quite convinced that a loose transformer (in good conditon, of course) can have better aftermarket prospects than a boxed/misb example.

I'm pretty sure that this is due to the fact that (generally speaking. I could be wrong.) transformers fans like to play with and experience the figures and aren't too fussed about packaging. Plus, the box of a figure can also dramatically increase the volume, the weight, and unltimately, the cost of shipping.

I think the presence of packaging could also turn off potential bidder because there is a perception that it will ultimately end up costing them more than a loose version, and finally, when buying a figure with a bit of age, if it's packaged or repackaged there's almost a subconscious obligation to keep the packaging, which may not appeal to some.

This is just my own two cents from my own experiences. Feel free to disagree!

10. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

your analysis is pretty accurate, unless it's sealed new, boxed figure from current mass produced series don't fetch that much more than loose ones, and i usual bid less because of the increased shipping cost, when i bid i bid for total cost so increased shipping means decreased final value for item, but then i don't care for current packages anyway.

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just flatten the boxes and keep the cardback. Throw out the rest. The toy is 'Loose', even with the box now that it is opened. Outside of G1, and a few other exceptions, the packaging isn't collectible.

12. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't generally re-sell, but when I purchase stuff on the secondary market I typically look for the box as well. I'm big on packaging, though I haven't been a fan of most of the modern packaging. The G1 stuff is more my cup of tea.

The more important packaging, to me, is the stuff where you can remove the figure, and then put it back in, like the boxes with the insert trays. These days most of the TF product is put on cardback, which you can't really re-package, so I wouldn't worry about that. If I'm buying a more recent figure on the secondary market, and I'm looking for a loose toy, I'll be okay if it's complete.

13. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Generally speaking a MISB (mint in sealed box/package) figure is more valuable than one that's removed from its package. You will get the most money for a figure if it's unopened and the package is in excellent condition. Conversely, you'll get the least amount for a loose figure that is missing parts/accessories/broken (junker). A "loose" figure is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes and is based on condition of the figure (is it's paint scratched; chrome flaking; plastic integrity issues (GPS); etc). If you also include the open package, instructions, complete figure with all accessories and paperwork you should get a bit more than just the loose figure by itself but not as much if it was mint.

It depends if you need/want the packaging in your collection. For me, I keep the card backs if there is a bio or tech specs of the figure on it. The bubble goes in recycling. I also keep any artwork inside the bubble too. If it is a box, I'll cut out any art, tech specs and bios and recycle the rest. I only keep the packaging intact if it is rare, G1, or an import figure. Unused packaging takes up lots of space and my collection easier for me to handle. YMMV.

Yes it is called "loose" and as stated above you will get less for it than if the item was mint.

Not important at all IMO. Transformers are best when opened and transformed whereas other static figures (Marvel, Star Wars) can be enjoyed either in or out of package.

I am biased in recommending this since this is what I do but if I were you I'd carefully remove the bubbles from the figures and keep the card backings if they have any tech specs/character bios on it. If you want you can keep the cardboard inserts in the bubble too. Definitely keep any tech specs/bios from the bubble though as Hasbro has been putting the tech specs inside the bubble as of late. Remove the same from the boxes of the larger figures. If you happen to have any rare, vintage, or foreign versions keep the packaging . If you do need/want to sell your loose figures you can get a bit more for them than just selling them loose. Alternatively, you can try to sell just the packaging (leave bubbles on cards for this) too. The rarer/older the packaging the better chance you have in reselling it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

14. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    that's exactly what I did until HFTD rolled around and hasbro started to spread out the boxart/bio/techspecs/etc. then I realized keeping track of hundreds of tiny box snippets would be less practical than storing the boxes intact.