I have a few questions about toy packaging

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by allseeingalmond, Nov 20, 2009.

1. allseeingalmond

allseeingalmond Member

Hey there! Sorry if this is the wrong board. I wasn't quite sure where to ask this.

I have a fair amount of transformers that I own, and am thinking off loading some of them onto ebay, or however I can sell them.
    However, along with these toys, I also hung on to a number of the boxes and cards (and instructions) as well. I was wondering, from a collectors standpoint, if there is any real value to these or whether anyone would be interested in them? If the toy is even removed from the box, and I want to resell it, should I bother sending the box?
    The packaging themselves are for some toys I still have, and some I don't. They date back only as far as G2 (specifically a box for Dreadwing, the toy itself I sold to a friend a few years back). After that, I have a number of Beast Wars, and some RID, Alternators, and Armada. I even have some of the display inserts and card bubbles.
    As it stands now, the boxes are starting to take up quite a bit of space (more than I can afford, actually) .

Any advice on what to do with them would be a great help.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Personally speaking, I do prefer to collect packaging as well; it has to be one hell of a deal for me to buy a loose figure. G1 packaging will most likely always sell well because of its age, nostaliga value and coolness (G2 as well I would imagine) and Alternator packaging too because Alts in packaging just look damn cool and a shelf of boxed ones just looks awesome. Same with Beast Wars - I kept ALL my BW packaging.
    I wouldn't have thought that Armada packaging would be that collectible though; RID possibly, depending on the figure. I'd expect they'd be too new, and a lot of people didn't like the Armada packaging style much.
    There might be some I'd be interested in, especially G2 & Alternators (Skids & Wheeljack specifically if you have the inserts/bubbles for them); I'd love to see a list if you decide to put one together. My main wants at the moment, though, are the internal packaging & plastic inserts for ROTF Voyager Starscream & Leader Prime so if you know anyone that doesn't want theirs, pleae let mw know. ;) 

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Some buyers will be interested and some won't. If we were talking vintage G1 it's definitely an added value, but with modern stuff it's more case-by-case. Boxes and cards will add to your shipping cost, but instructions won't.

I keep the packaging myself, mostly for the character art. Screw you, Beast Machines!

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    ^this

btw, does your current user title have anything to do with a certain Wasp-obsesser?

5. allseeingalmond

allseeingalmond Member

It's a handle I use occasionally with no real significance other than how random and ridiculous it sounds :)  . Not sure about the wasp reference though.

I see what you guys are saying about newer boxes. This is the main reason I ask since a lot of the packaging I have are for new series. (I forgot to mention also have some Universe toys if you like recolors :p  ) I only wish I had half the G1s I did as a kid (I had a destructive little brother growing up. *weeps* ), the toys I do have I try to keep in good condition. I'm not quite sure what to do if buyers are expecting mint in box and I can't deliver. I guess what I'm saying is the best I could do is repackage the toy in it's original box.

Once I get sorted and figure out what's sellable and what's yard sale junk, I'll post a list in the trade forums.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With me, i tend to want the box/card with the figure.
    if it still has the plastic insert or the plastic bubble isn't such a big deal since i don't keep that anyway.

It's just my opinion, but the more you offer, closer you can get to "complete" with a figure, the more valuable it is to a buyer, even if it is from a newer toyline.
    And heck, i would assume that the newer the line, the better chance of getting the box or card with it.

Just my 2 cents...i wouldn't be surprised if i find change when i come back, lol.

7. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    If it's attached to a card, send the card and stuff, if it's an actual box, go ahead and send it.