I have a confession to make

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jon3pnt0, Apr 19, 2008.

1. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    Alright, my "Is being a faithful fan still worth it" wasn't totally bogus.

If my still being here on this site, posting replies with you guys with a wall of Alternators behind me and TF dvds in my DVD rack isn't enough proof that I'm still a loyal, faithful fan then I don't know what is. Not as die-hard as some here, but still a fan.

My main reason for posting it was to make everyone realize that even though we debate, bicker and argue about Transformers, it's something we all here have a stake in. We all either have loved it, are loving it or are making sure it's loved in the future. I just wanted to make everyone realize that there is SOMETHING in Transformers that is worth being a fan about other than just giving us something to debate. And yes, I think some of us had to suffer a little bit more for what we love than others, but it doesn't stop being worth it because of that.

My other point is that I don't think any post here will GET many replies unless it's something everybody can either unilaterally rip apart, argue about or is controversial.

As some of the VETS have posted, it's not about whether you like things to stay the same as they always were or want things to change for the better of the brand, it's the fact that we all here love or at least like something about Transformers enough that it gives us an invisible bond of unity across the entire globe... something we all have in common, that we all get to talk about... positively or negatively, and reminise about the good old days and on and on! It gives us a common point of interest and that above all else, makes it worth remaining a fan for 25 years.

2. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

I think that most folks, regardless of the subject matter of the discussion board, realize that.

Where this typically breaks down is when one or more folks have a "problem" and take it too seriously(i.e. maniacal), or when one or more folks aren't of sound enough mind to discuss a topic civilly or with the facts to back up their argument.

That being said, I stole the quote in your signature for my signature on another 'site. Thanks :D 

3. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

That and the fandom is almost as ferverous as religious zealots at times. It always starts with "My fav is the best" THEN it goes to discussion. We're all guilty of it, and at times you can get railed and typecast during a discussion because of it. As charming as it would be to have a subcategory for every line made, it's impractical. And I doubt that we'll ever get along enough to get past that initial "My view is right, you're wrong" attitude.

4. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    Well, apparently there are a few like you and me who are forward thinkers enough to move past it all and just be able to smile in front of a screen because we have a friend with a mutual interest that we can discuss the good, the bad and the ugly with that we have possibly never met before and would never have known otherwise.

5. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Good point and well said.

6. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Did this really have to become a separate thread from your first? Or was there not enough trolling and whining in that one?

7. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    Sheez, that's the reason why. No one is reading my latter posts. They're all too busy crucifying my original upside down and setting it on fire.

Have four kids if you want REAL trolling and whining.:dunce 

8. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Saw that one coming! :rolleyes2  Instead of ignoring threads they're not interested in, you get those fans that just have to bitch about threads they're not interested in.

9. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

The problem: We're all very angry people

The solution: BECOME HIPPIES!!!

But seriously, I think everyone sort of wants what they say to be the final word and for everyone to agree with them, so it devolves into stupid arguments and then someone comes in and tries to be the 'good guy' and that just gets other people pissed and they start arguing and everyone seems very set on tearing through other opinions.

They don't realise that tearing down a G1 nazi for being a G1 nazi makes them just as much of a nazi, even if it is an 'Animated' Nazi...

And that's my 2 cents..

10. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    Personally, I got no beef with any of you guys. Heck, you guys are better friends to me than what I had when I first became a TF fan even when you ARE ripping me apart.

My REAL problem??? I'm on vacation and I got no money to do anything, no sitter for the kids, wife's tired from a sale she had today and I'm used to working pretty much all day and night and you guys are the only ones who understand!!! :cry  Cue the world's smallest violin! Lol

HIPPIES IT IS!!!

A SHRUBBERY!!! A SHRUBBERY!!!

11. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Humans are incapable of looking at the positive, they only focus on the negative. If a thread has nothing to argue about in it,they'll have no interest & it will drop to page 5 within hours. But if there's a heated argument, say about Botcon exclusives or how Animated looks, that thread will go on for weeks.

EDIT: there are a few exceptions,but not many.

12. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    You said it exactly. It was just sort a theory I had reading other posts without really replying. I usually don't get into debate, but apparently I'm good at starting one! LOL

BTW, why are opinions of Animated so split? I lost CN so I can't watch till the DVD comes out, but what I've seen on YouTube doesn't seem to bad! Kinda thought it was funny with Blitzwing's multi-faces, monocle and all! He's funny and it's cool to hear Dexter's Dad doing the voices. I mean, if you compare it with other shows animated the same way like The Batman and Ben 10, they all pretty much share similar features. I think they are just trying what's already working for them! I'm actually kinda proud they resurrected old characters instead of just doing a series version of the movie which is what I thought was coming. But I haven't seen enough to really have a coherent decision or even a listen-worthy opinion yet.

13. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

People have different opinions on what makes a good show. Whether it's the characters, the backstory or the art direction (this seems to be a major factor for some reason), we all want different things. We're all different! We are all individuals! Yes, we are all individuals!

I'm not. :D 

14. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I hope you fixed his "Trasformers" typo. :p 

I was just amazed the thread grew that large. I know Jon like a brother... being that he IS my brother. He doesn't like controversy or debate unless he thinks he's right (which is pretty much all the time ;)  ), and I don't get involved in threads like that anyway mainly for the reason that there's too many pages to read through if you come in late on the discussion like I did.

But if anyone flamed my brother or made unfounded derogatory comments about him and disrespected him for having an opinion, I'm gonna hafta kick some hiney.

Jon, my only opinion on your original post in that thread was the way you phrased the question. We've both been fans since we were kids, and I don't expect any "reward" from anyone for being a loyal and faithful fan all these years. The personal enjoyment of my hobby is reward enough for me. I don't do it for anyone or anything else.

And you already know how I felt about the movie. You were a lot more critical of it than me. Yes, it was flawed (seriously flawed in places), but at its core it was a really entertaining action flick. But more than that, I was just happy to see a childhood dream of seeing "real robots" up on the big screen finally fulfilled. No, it won't ever make it into my top 10 favorite films or even top 20, but I loved it for the way it made me feel watching it. And that giddy, childhood feeling seeing something I waited 20+ years to see was very satisfying.

I don't think you ever told me that. So who was the family member who criticized you for being a fan? Certainly not me, as we were both in the same boat together.

I was a closet Transformers fan at school, but you knew that already. You were only 5 then, but I had just hit my teenage years at that time and middle school is only one level up from the lowest level of Hades.

I got ridiculed already for being small and scrawny and a dweeb--I didn't want them to know that I still loved watching cartoons too. No reason to give them more cannon fodder, so to speak. That's why I bought all those TF toys for you with my hard-earned money and then told you I "found" them. It was the only way I could "play" with them without mom and dad questioning me for "playing with toys" when I was a teenager, and it also covered me at school from being made fun of for collecting/playing with toys because I technically didn't own them.

But mom and dad never seemed to mind that we liked Transformers. And I don't think Tim did either [our older brother] being that he always seemed fascinated with the engineering and design that went into them. He also supported all four of his boys amassing a collection nearly as large as what you had back in the 80's. Yeah, grandaddy and grandmother called them "monsters" but that never stopped them from buying them for us either.

So what "family" member does that leave?

15. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Who defines what is positive and what is negative? Its simply two opinions that don't jive together. Check the Animated forum, the topics there are pretty much almost always everybody just saying a simplified form of "I love this show!". Nobody is right, and nobody is wrong. They're called opinions and people are entitled to them on either side of the spectrum. Sure, some people take it too far. But there's always somebody like that with ANYTHING.

Don't start acting all philosophical by belittling billions of people that you think you can make a generalization about. You're no different than those you claim to know a universal truth about.

...what the HELL am I talking about...ugh, I'm going to bed >_>
    DN

16. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    In the words of Daffy Duck, "I dithpithe you."

I can't believe I didn't notice that as long as I've had it there.

Well, it was mom for one thing and dad always thought it was stupid and always threw around the "when are you gonna get rid of that garbage?"

Guess you were right for hiding your fandom. But you were wrong about them aproving of it. I suppose they thought it was something that I would grow out of after a few years, but by the time you were near graduating and busy with friends and after school stuff and pot... just kidding, not pot, :lol  they hated that I still had them and would skip homework or chores or piano (gay) practice to still watch re-runs of the show.

And there's a reason why I never told you about the countless beatings I received because of being a fan:

1 - You HATED me back then... you probably would have just helped them beat me up.
    2 - All the guys kicking the crap out of me were bigger than you, so what could you have done about it?
    3 - If you'd known what was going on, you might have stop giving me the toys you "found."
    4 - The majority of what happened to me was after you left for college. It really didn't stop until my Junior year where I just started acting like all the other guys and when the new year started, the new students didn't know so why continue to cause myself pain. I fell into the boat you'd been in, a closet-fan; but not because I was embarrassed of it, I JUST GOT SICK OF GETTING BEAT UP ALL THE TIME!

"The Chosen One learned an important lesson about iron claws...

THEY HURT LIKE CRAP!!!"

17. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    Well, thanks to my idiot brother, I lost my signature because I APARENTLY mispelled "Transformers" and like an idiot, I didn't even notice, but leave it to my idiot brother to embarrass me like that... I can't believe with all these fans and NO one tore me up for THAT! I tried to fix it and lost my font and my font color... crap. Back to the old drawing board. At least YOU get to use it! :rolleyes: 

And I agree with that other stuff you said too.

18. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Oi! I'm the only hippie round here!

19. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Wow. Too bad the haters came out on the bottom of things, or else I'd be SUPER pissed.

20. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Well said.