I Have A Confession To Make

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundwaver, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Banned

It was Bayformers that got me or lead me into Transformers. For the longest time I didn't care nothing much for transformers until I saw Bayformers (2007). Now I don't like Bayformers, but I don't I have a strong hate to it. However, even if I did; I'll never forget the fact that it was Michael Bay that got me into it. Sad isn't?

• Like Like x 3
  2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    We old-timers knew that a successful live action movie would bring in new fans, despite any reservations we might have had. And, really, the first movie is pretty good. I had no problem defending the first one. It's all the rest of the movies that have degraded in quality after it, with worse and worse writing and weirder and weirder robot designs.

Anyhow, welcome to the fandom. We like to eat our own so stay wary my friend.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The bay films, however anyone feels about them now, brought literally thousands of people to this site, and brought the brand to a new audience of millions. I don't think there's any shame in that being someone's first exposure to Transformers, especially if theyre young enough they weren't around for G1, Beast Wars, etc.

We never forget that first experience with the franchise, I don't think. We might dig deeper into Transformers and grow beyond it, but whatever it was for a fan, I don't think we forget it.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Banned

Th
    Thanks

5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

The first movie was terrible. With the exception of Bumblebee the Transformers were barely in it.

Also I would argue that the designs actually better in the sequels, not much better mind you but at least they stopped giving the Decepticons insect faces and there are far less robots with backwards bending knees. Last Knight Megatron, as long as he keeps the battle mask on, is the only Movie Megatron I actually sort of like, he's a HUGE improvement over the previous designs. Even the jet mode actually looks like a jet rather than a metal thorn bush with wings.

Though I actually liked Optimus more before AoE.

It would be a lot better if they'd also stopped with the overly complex transformations but at least we're no longer getting robot Predators.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's nothing to feel bad about, man. I grew up during G1 and it will always be the most special to me. The Bay designs were a huge departure from what came before them, and while they may not be my preference, they are G1 to a lot of other people and they introduced a whole new branch to the TF family. I try to keep that in mind. And now that we're 11 years post TF2007, I'm actually starting to get a bit nostalgic for the Bay TFs, somehow. I took a long 10 year break from the TF fandom between 2007 and 2017 (had nothing to do with the Bay movies) and I found a new type of appreciation for the Bay universe after returning...I've even gotten several of the toys. I've enjoyed most of the Bay movies (TLK is the only one that really bugged me) and I hope we continue to see new TF feature films (Bay-inspired designs or not) for a long time yet.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I don't think it's sad. Honestly, there are far worse series to be introduced to the brand through.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Hmm... Guilty or Innocent?

Seriously, though, that's nothing to be ashamed of. The first live-action Transformers is looked back on fondly by many fans (myself included), and the fact that it was a big mainstream action film gave it ample opportunity to bring in the onslaught of new fans that it did. Besides, you're allowed to have your own thoughts and opinions about whether a movie or a TV series is good or not, and no one should look down on you for it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    there's literally nothing to be ashamed. like what you like, just don't be a shitheel about it. i got in from dotm, and now i hate the movies too. changes taste.

• Like Like x 3
  10. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I was a fan since the beginning, watching every episode of G1 in the US. I also loved and watched Beast Wars. That series got me searching transformers online.
    But the movies put me over the top. That's my favorite transformers fiction. I started selling away my non movie toys. Dark of the Moon is my all time favorite movie
    #2 Age of Extinction
    #3 Transformers 2007
    #4 Return of the Fallen
    #5 The Last Knight

• Like Like x 1
  11. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Meh, whatever. Some people came here through Armada, some through Beast Wars, some through the movies and some through G1. Doesn't matter how you got here, we got here all the same.

12. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I've been a life long fan, and while the Bayverse popularity shortened my favorite TF fiction since G1 (Animated), it is UNDENIABLE that the decade since has been the best era for Transformers toys, and largely, fiction.

We've had a few good games, countless awesome toys, some fine comics, multiple web series, the rise of 3rd party toys... I wish Bay could have made an epic trilogy, storywise, but it's great what it infused into the fandom regardless. It's been fun seeing who comes, who stays, who comes back, and how polarizing the fandom is. G1ers, or Bay fans don't matter this fandom is awesome.

The fact I can leave the stresses of adult life and argue, debate, laugh and joke about the coolness of giant robots... with people worldwide... is a pleasure I never thought I'd have past my childhood. Fans like the OP expand the fandom, and websites like this one, and just being able to share my geeky obsessions makes me feel a little less alone.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Personally I think it's been the worst era for toys.

Before 2007 I was only interested in toy lines that had cartoons attached to them. I was all about getting screen accurate versions of my favorite characters.

From 2007 onwards I'd actually prefer the toys weren't screen accurate because I hate everything that's appeared on screen since then. I'd like Movie toys to be simplified. Screw breaking up Bumblebee's chest for no reason. Honestly the best movie toy I have breaking the chest isn't even an option. And when it is an option I tend to mistransform them anyway to give them a more solid appearance.

Animated, I want versions of them with better proportions, no giant chins, no tiny legs, just good looking robots. Like Generations Blitzwing, more like that please.

Prime oddly was the one exception I actually liked. Which is weird because it was basically a blend of movie and animated but the complicated transformations and odd proportions were both toned down to more tolerable levels.

RID2, anyone with a proper robot mode I like but all the weird Decepticons were crap.

But I have seen Generations get better since then. What was once a toy line I totally ignored is now where most of my figures come from.

Oh as long as we're confessing things... X-Men Origins Wolverine was my introduction to Deadpool. At the time did not understand why so many people hated him, now, I hate him too... except for the Wade Wilson part before he actually became Weapon 11 that's still good.

14. LasagnaSmuggler

LasagnaSmuggler Slacker

News Credits:
    Same here

15. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    There's nothing to be ashamed of, dude. The 2007 movie made shockwaves when it came out and brought a lot of people into the fandom. And for what it's worth, the first was easily the best-- it had its share of dumb moments, sure, but it was fairly coherent as a narrative and got across the feel of wonder and awe (or in the case of the Decepticons, terror) as these giant alien machines make first contact with humanity. The whole arrival to earth sequence is unironically beautiful.

Now that you're in the fandom, feel free to take a look around, see what might tickle your fancy. Just remember that no matter what anyone says, taste is subjective. If you like something, you don't have to stop liking it just because some stranger on the internet got angry that you liked or didn't like it.