I have 3 Alternity Red Convoys (big problem!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Verboten, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Verboten

Verboten Well-Known Member

Hi I'm new here.

There are 3 red alternity convoys en route (each costed me up to $100 a pop as you may already know). I was only planning on getting one but made a couple boneheaded miscalculations and now I'll be in possesion of 3 + 1 silver convoy. I find that if I try to sell them as soon as they arrive, I may not be able to make my money back.

Which brings me to my question:

Should I hang onto these and try to sell them much later?
    From your experience as a collector, how pricey do you expect these to become in the future?

Thanks!

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If this is your first post, how would we already know how much you paid? :confused: 

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd just average the amount spent on all 4 Convoys (use the silver as a little bit of a buffer) and throw the 2 extra reds on ebay for around that price.

Takara(TOMY) has been known to do second and third runs of things for as long as I can remember. I'd get rid of those suckers as soon as I could, figuring any day now there could be news of an upcoming re-release.
    Look at THS-02... The value appreciated fairly significantly over time since the release, but the upcoming re-release killed that value.

Really the best I can say is cut your losses and move on. The odds of a re-release trashing the value is pretty good, but if you're one to gamble... Feel free to sit on them.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    $100-ish shipped is pretty much the going rate for the red Convoy.

5. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd say hang onto them. Unless they are reissued, they'll go up in price eventually. Where did you get them that they cost $100 ea? They are normally around $50.

6. Verboten

Verboten Well-Known Member

Where do you get them for $50???

I bought mine on eBay. Each nearing $100. I do know that they sell for a lot cheaper when they are up for bid but they have been averaging about 70+. I'm just not trying to lose $30 on each sale.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to sell these if they were to reach an average sale price of $150.

So far I've been seeing alot of binaltechs that have risen immensely in value, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

7. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    You are right. I didn't realize they had gone up in price so much. Doing a quick search, I did find a site that had them for $70 though.

I guess just wait for them to go up in price more? *shrugs*

8. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The red Convoys started around $55, and I have to say I'm pretty surprised how quickly they've gone up in price. These Alternity toys must not have very large production runs.

Anyway, considering they're sold out almost everywhere, and the cheapest I'm seeing them go for on ebay is $85 shipped, you're probably better off holding on to them if you're looking to make a profit. I don't know if you'll see $150 anytime soon, though.