I hate/love DC Direct

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Boggs6ft7, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

So I'm flipping through Previews at my local comic shop and come across this:

http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=9081&lst=new&cat=JUST+ANNOUNCED

The first thing I notice is of course the Red Son Bizzaro Superman, which looks awesome. Thinking to myself, wow, the Red Son elseworlds set just got cooler.

Then I notice its a boxed set, the hell? So now they are going to milk me for more money for a boxed set that has ONE figure I don't have......AND.....the boxed set doesn't even come with the Red Son Green Lantern figure....

That isn't even the part I'm most upset about, its the release date....August 2008 Why even put it in the previews and get me excited about a toy that doesn't come out for 8 months...... The same goes for the next Green Lantern set.... which has a kick ass Sinestro Corps figure and GL Batman figure....which I saw at Wizard World Chicago last August..... and it doesn't come out until July.

Most of the stuff from DC Direct is, I think, really cool. I just hate their marketing.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

DC Direct has always been like that. They advertise figures that are practically a year away. I remember when they announced Batman beyond for the Superman/Batman wave. I was so excited and it was 8 months until release. I wanted to pull my hair out.

However, I really don't mind the wait. They are awesome looking figures and well made. It also helps me plan spending habbits better. Instead of "It's out next month? Damn, I hope I have the cash", it's a nice long time to reserve the cash to buy.

3. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Hes a sweet figure I love them both.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I can get President Superman to hold the brainiac skull. How did you do it? is it in the positioning?

5. kenm2474

Correct it is how you position it. His hand is opened so you lay the back of Braniacs head in his palm.

6. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Yea, I noticed that too... I want that Red Son Bizarro, but it only comes in the box set :(  Still undecided if I'll buy the set again just for one figure since I have all the others... but other than that DC Direct does some good work!

7. kenm2474

Just finished my MOC Superman Series 1&2 w/Cyborg Sups. I now have 1 opened and 1 MOC Cyborg Sups.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Yeah, I was kinda ticked when this Superman/Batman set came out

[​IMG]

I had already bought these two separately but the Supes that I got has a dark blue metallic suit as opposed to the pictured set that had a much better paint job. Oh well.

I also kinda wanted this Batman set

[​IMG]

but I decided against it since I already had the Alex Ross Batman.

9. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I already have all the redson figures, but im still getting that box set because of bizzaro as well as redson batman, the one I got came with a backwards arm.

I still want to get that steel figure. I've passed on it twice now. I think its time to hunt it down

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Yeah, DC Direct's early announcements annoy me, too. I remember when the DC Minimates were first announced and I was so excited to get hold of the Blue Beetle/Booster Gold two-pack. And then a year passed and I heard nothing more about them until suddenly they were out.

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, count me in amongst you guys who have a love/hate relationship with DC Direct! The long waiting period can ve a real killer but some of the figures are really well sculpted and at least most of them have basic articulation.

12. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I love DCDirect, but the scale issues are annoying.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i love how dc direct stuff looks.

i hate how i can only buy em as sets from my comic shop.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I love how DC direct stuff looks.

I hate how they don't push forward the articulation boundary.

I love how Marvel Legends (or Marvel Toys I guess they're called now) pushed farward the boundarys for articulation.

I hated how that could sometimes make their toys look poop.

Is there no compromise?

15. Boggs6ft7

I think its one of those things you just have to give up. The best examples are the female scultps. Most Marvel Legends femail scults look horrible, but some, not all, of the DC Direct ones look pretty good. The ones that look best have the least amount of articulation. Most of my toys just sit on the shelf, so I'm cool with them just looking good in the pose they came in.

Its easy to overlook the sculpt on the male figures because they aren't supposed to be curvey, unless of course its the Blob or something.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get what you mean about MLs - some of them are so multi-jointed that it simply ruins the look of the toy. Sigh.

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    That's another good point. I wanted to get the Guy Gardner/Kilowog two-pack from the fifth wave of DC Minimates, but some guy bought the entire case from my comic shop, and they wouldn't reorder unless I wanted to spend $60 to buy the whole damn case. Wider releases would be awesome.

18. Boggs6ft7

Its the exact reverse for ML's, at least my local shop. Marvel has a deal worked out with Wal-Mart, Target, etc... to get the figures first and get them cheaper. By the time my local shop can get them, he can't get a complete case, he gets them for about 50 cents cheaper (that's his actual cost, not what he sells them for) than what they are sold for at Wal-Mart, and most people already have the ones they want.

I kinda wish Marvel would put out better sculpts like DC, then maybe charge a few bucks more for cool figures. I think they are more conerned with volume than quality.