I hate Lotus Domino

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jux, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I work for a small company, but I have no clue why they insist on using Lotus Domino for everything. They love having our email and calendars web-based so we can all share with one another, but it's nothing Outlook and an Exchange Server couldn't do. Plus, no integrated corporate IM.

What a waste. They give us this terrible software and then they expect us to run it on refurbished Dell's running 256 MB of RAM.

Anyone else out there have to use this system?

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Outlook here. and they block my web-based e-mail. They buy us real computers, so no complaints other than no Gmail.

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

My last company had a company-wide Exchange Server. You could IM other employees, and your email client didn't time out after 10 minutes of not checking it. There was a general internet filter, but I could still get to Yahoo and Google. Now, I can hardly bother with company email, because of the poor setup.

Piece of crap.

4. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

I use and hate Groupwise. But it's been so long since I've used Outlook I don't even remember why I liked it better. Maybe now there's no discernible difference between the two?

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My company uses Lotus Notes for email/calendaring/databases, coupled with Lotus Sametime for IM and online collaboration. They do everything I need them to do, so not really any complaints here.

Well, except perhaps chart functionality within Notes, it's a bit weak, and you can't undo. It's the year 2007 - nothing should say "This cannot be undone - would you like to continue?"

6. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nope, all MS products here. We run an Exchange Server 2003 with Outlook Web Access setup to authenticate with domain usernames and passwords so employees can access their email while on the road or at home. The net admin and I also just got Exchange to run with our new Windows Storage Server 2003 box so all data from the users personal calendars in Outlook are moved to the backup system, eliminating any need for running Outlook in Cached Mode or creating a .pst file that could be lost if the users computer crashes.

As far as Web-based mail goes, we allow Gmail and Yahoo through our firewall, but it still gets stuck sometimes because of the content filter. You wouldn't believe how many people use something like "hotpussy69@yahoo.com" as an email address that they use for sending important work files on, and then can't figure out why our firewall filters their emails out as spam.

7. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

We use Groupwise here. The shitty thing is that the standard here is still the 5.5 client, which came out in what.... 1998?!?!

8. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

6.5 here. yeah baby yeah!

9. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My last work used GroupWise. I think they went up to 6.5, can't remember which version.
    My current work uses Outlook (handy as I can sync my calender with home :D ) and it annoys me when I get an email from a mate at my last work as Groupwise is crap at HTML emails.

10. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    PREACH MY BROTHA!

I HATE my e-mail. :(  I swear, there are times when I just want to physically kill the thing!

We used to do fine with outlook and outlook express, but WTF change to Lotus?? That thing has more kinks in it than anything I have ever seen! The only thing I have found them to be superior to other e-mail programs is that when you create a spam filter, it actually works. I think I have gotten a total of two spam e-mails in the past three months.

I still wish the rest of it functioned as well as that...user-friendly it is definetily not!

11. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    NOOOOOOOOooooooo......

Been having power surges here all night.
    Left my remote desktop at work running, as I usually do. Which now means first thing tomorrow I am going to have to reboot all my work machines and printers and then call tech support and have them log me out of that damn Domino server, so I can log back in again and get to my Lotus e-mail, since it shut down "unexpectedly."

Grr...

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

We use Lotus, and it's tied into our Blackberrys - my boss e-mails me 10 times a day and on weekends.

:mad 

I usually just use the web portal our company has set up for it - it's still slow as shit though, even on a high speed connection.

13. edbrill

edbrill New Member

I pwn Lotus Domino

It sounds like you are on a back-level version of Domino. Since 6.5, Domino has had integrated instant messaging, both in the web interface and in the Lotus Notes client. (the current version is 7.0.2)

You are correct that Outlook and Exchange can do e-mail and calendar, but over 40% of the market chooses Domino and Notes because they also can build sharing or situational applications on Domino, that integrate with the e-mail and calendar capabilities. And in 17 years in market, there's never been a Notes/Domino virus or trojan.

Hope this helps.

---
    www.edbrill.com

14. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

We use Domino Notes here and we're a huge company.

The reason is fairly simple:

'Security through obscurity'

or 'Bollocks' as i call it. I hate it.

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I use Lotus notes... it is horrid.

16. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lotus = Gobots.

17. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I've used all 3; Groupwise, Lotus, and Outlook. Definitely like Outlook the best of the 3 with Lotus coming in dead last.