I hate group projects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigPrime3000, Nov 28, 2007.

1. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

So I had a big group research projet/class presentation today in my government class. The professor chose our group mates for us and we have had all semester long to work on it. My group met regularly once every two weeks for the entire semester getting all our research ready. Yesterday we agreed to have all of our powerpoints ready, get together and mesh them together, and go through our presentation once. I had to skip another class to meet up with them because one had to go to work, and I get there to find that I am the only one that has their part of the presentation ready. So I left pissed of that I skipped class for no reason.

I agreed to put the presentation together if they would email me their parts (at this point there was no way I was leaving the final product up to one of them.) I go to sleep last night having only received one email and get a text message at 2 saying the other one will be sent to me soon.

I woke up at 9 this morning and checked my email, still no presentation. This girl finally sends me her part of the presentation at 10:00 for our 11:15 class and presentation and her part was NO WHERE near the format that we had agreed on.

I thought I was going to die of embarrassment when we got to her part of the presentation. I know we're gonna get a bad grade for it and it pisses me off because I had 2 A's and a B on the tests and was set for an A for the class. If this grade drops me below a B I am going to crap my pants.

Anyone else have group project horror stories?

2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I've actually been in an opposite situation where there was always one person in the group who did all the work and then handed us note cards to read during the presentation.

Gotta know how to pick your groups, pal.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That sounds about par for the course.

My policy has always been to do more than my share, and see what happens. If the project grade doesn't affect my overall grade, I don't care.

If it does--which happened one time--I go to the faculty, explain the situation, and request that their points be given to me to correct my grade at their expense. That worked the one time I did it. Should for you also, since you can show when you received her work and its relative quality thanks to the wonders of email.

Groups projects are usually bullshit anyways. The teachers know what the deal is--they were students once also.

4. BigPrime3000

I didn't, it's the second sentence of the original post. :p 

5. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

I hate group work.

Unless it's with hot chicks.

Then I stare at their boobies, and don't do much.

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Dude! I totally lost my train of thought after reading that!

I remember a group lab project back in undergrad (one lab report for 4 people). We started out as a group of four, the boys and girls split after some disgreements. The day before the project was due I finally got my partners work, which was sub-par to say the least. I basically gave him what I had done and went to the professor to ask for an extension to hand in one of my own. So all said an done, we handed in 3 different lab reports for the same project.

I hate group projects.

7. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Either I do all the work in a group project, or the rest of the group does so much that I get left with little to nothing to do for the group.

8. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    From the looks of it, crapping your pants may be he high point of this entire project.

Hope all goes well.

9. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had two lab partners in Geology, one was just about my equal, the other was a very ditzy blond. The two of us covered for her most of the time cause she was nice and liked to wear low cut shirts and leaned over a lot. :D  I blame genetics

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I double majored. In my business classes I always got grouped up with Studious Stu and Sally who never liked what I did and insisted on redoing whatever I turned in. Which was fine as I was hung over anyway. I also got the roffles when Sally tried to get extra credit for redoing my work, as the instructor told her that's not how the real world worked.

My other major was radio and I had a full-time jobs at three stations at the time. I was a rockstar, freaking David Lee Roth on those projects. Those other guys were dickriders but I never cared. I aced every class easily.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The last group project I was in was for a class I was taking that one of my best friends taught. I told the girls in my group that if they wanted A's they'd just let me do the work and show up to make the video. None of them were that hot however so I couldn't really try to pull a Mr. Jiggles and say it was part of the project :( 

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I too hate group projects.

Last year of a Undergrad degree in sociology. Sociology of law class had two parts, the class work, exams and papers and a group project/presentation that counted for 50% of our grade. There were four in the group, 2 of us did all of the work. I even wrote the entire introduction to the presentation for some jackass that prepared a flaming pile of dog shit.

At least we got a good grade.

13. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    Approves:
    [​IMG]

14. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Group projects caused me no end of issues in College. Almost every time I got the brown end of the stick and had profs that refused to listen to me, or believe my proof as to who did what work.

15. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I ALWAYS hated group projects in school as there is ALWAYS someone who didn't pull their load. I've had my share of projects where many people didn't do their work.

16. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

I never was a fan of group projects as well. I've done my fair share of them while trying to get my accounting diploma and I've gotten nothin' but grief. The worst one was the group I was in for a Business Management class; it was four people (3 guys, one girl) and halfway thru the course, the other two guys dropped out. Nothing like doing the workload of four people with two.

...anyways good luck with your situation; hopefully there will be no crapping of the pants on your end.

17. BigPrime3000

Well the worst thing about it was since my group members were so unprepared they were stumbling through their part of the presentation and we ran long on time so we have to finish up on Friday.

That's not bad in itself, but I have tickets for the Cowboys game tomorrow night so I was planning on being a little too hung over for classes on friday. Now that's out the window.