I had a job....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OmegaVPrime, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    So previously when I worked at IHOP I was starting to notice that I was losing hours? I also noticed that instead of working fulltime, I was getting part time hours? They were changing my schedule around to better fit there needs...but that is to be expected of a server position job right? Wrong! I found out that we had a new manager and he was changeing everyones hours around? Well since I'm the oldest of our swingshift employees I took it on myself to ask him why I was getting parttime hours? Apparently he felt that it was appropriate and fair for everyone to get equal hours? Well I'm use to working from 2 to 12 at night because NewMexicos server pay is at 2.15 an hour. The problem was I need a paycheck worth something to you know? Even if it is only 80 to 90 every 2 weeks? Well my next paycheck turned out to be 50? So I said okay, I went out looking for a new job. Well there is a sub shop down the street from me called lennys subs, and they pay a good hourly 9.50 for cashiers and they needed one? So I went in there and talked to the owner of the shop, mind you they are a very profitable sub shop and are always busy. But that is besides the point, anyways I went in there, presented myself as a very prosperous employee and I basically made him melt in my arms... so he said to me that I had the job and that I will come in friday at 3:30 to fill out my paper work and get started on the job until close?

Well I proceeded to tell him that okay then I will quite my job at IHOP( He aknowledged this mind you) Well three days go by and finally this morning I wake up to a phone call from nad he is the owner and the person I talked to.. He tells me that I dont have the job...? Wait! What? That's right after having me quite ihop, he tells me that he forgot another employee from a different store was transfering for the position I had origanally filled out for? Soo guess what I did? I bitched him the hell out! What am I supposed to tell my tenant? That I had a job and now I don't have any income? Uh...I don't think so. And here is the kicker, he tells me that she takes priority over me since she worked with him a year prior? Okay so you're not going to give me a chance to prove that I'm an asset to your job? What the hell ever man! So I hung up the phone and now i'm severley annoined by this sudden turn of events.

The point to this thread.....has anyone had this kind of trouble before?

2. swampflight

swampflight Banned

I've walked in those shoes...

Had the same thing happen a year ago,hated my job(fast food),went and applied to an upscale restaurant,owner promised me a kitchen position with better pay,gave my 2 weeks notice,1 day before I was going to start got a phone call stating the job was given to the owners drinking buddy.Ended up having to work day labor for 3 months before I found another job.

3. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

You don't have a right to a job. Any job. And most of America is an AT-WILL employer which means they can fire you for any reason at any time. And while you are upset, I bet employees of that establishment are THRILLED they have loyalty to existing employees that allow them to transfer internally. 99% of companies have this policy, we will take an internal person over external people almost every time if someone fills the skillset and wants the job. And we have no obligation moral or otherwise to seek those external people and give them a chance to show us how valuable they are. in fact, most unions make it illegal or impossible to hire external labor.

Never burn your bridges. No job is guaranteed or a sure thing. At higher levels you may have signing bonuses or severances that you could be eligible for but unless they offered you any of that, you are not due anything. if they were willing to hire you once, they would have been again. (before you bitched her out and acted unprofessional) The best thing you could have done is say 'please think of me for any future positions that open up soon'.

4. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    I bitched "him" out, and second of all it is unproffessional to not know if you can give someone a postiion or not. It's unethical to give someone a postion and then on the day they are supposed to come in, tell them hey, after quiting your job to come work for me, you aren't going to have th eposition? I call that a spit in the face. Yes, I'm not entitled to anyy position, but it is not fair to allow someone the chance to work for you and then tell them it was all for nothing..

With that aside yea, maybe he was right in choosing an emplyoee that previously worked for him, but he did it because "she is supposedly a mother" and she wanted different hours from her other store...

That just pisses me off.

5. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Not always, there is no morals about it. Things happen, things change. We had a contract that needed 2 fulltime employees. We hired a second employee. The contract turned around out of the blue and slashed the funding down to 1/4th the original fee. That new employee lost his job immediatly because frankly his position dried up. And if another contract would have dried up we would have stuck them in that position and he would have still been SOL.

Never burn your bridges. Firing people or not hiring people is not a Moral issue. Doesnt matter if that employee is a poor working mother or not.

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Welcome to the field. All restaurant jobs are like that. They tell u theyll get you the hours u want, but it really means that itll be according to what they need. Thats why I left the business becuase unless your either management or ownership, you will never have the security of good income.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

First off, there were a lot of questions in there that I don't have the time to address individually.

So I'll just say this: the whole situation isn't your fault, but most of it is and the rest is just bad luck, not the fault of your manager or the sub shop owner. You'll find no sympathy from me.

Also, you made about a half-dozen extremely poor decisions throughout the whole saga. I would break them down, but let's be real--you don't want to hear it from me and you wouldn't listen if I did.

But hey, hope you find something new soon!

8. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Exactley I don't care about sympathy I want to hear if YOU had a problem like this...if you even bothered to read the question at the bottom.

9. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Then the answer is no.

When I left the restaurant business, I left in such a way I could have always gone back to that job. I still have nightmares about actually going back but that's not the point.

I was also unfortunately fired from my last job because of a DUI. So I went and got a new job at a different car dealer. Problem solved.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, you asked an awful lot of questions (as evidenced by your use of, well, question marks), so I assumed to you wanted them answered. My lack of sympathy was a general response, but wait! I've broken it down nicely for you for the helluva it.

Okay.

Huh.

Yes.

You hadn't noticed that there was a new manager until your schedule changed?

Okay, here I'd like a little clarification: oldest or most senior?

CRAZY.

It's not his problem what you need.

Good call.

I don't know that this is actually a question.

Again, not sure this is a question.

So be it.

Well, he shouldn't want to expend time and resources training a new employee when he has one ready.

Something stupid.

Well...

...yes.

She does and should.
    Why should he?

No. No, I haven't.

11. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I'm with Squirrelcar. And judging from the posts in this thread, and mind you only from those, maybe you called some of this upon yourself somehow? Because even after reading through twice, I don't understand half of what you are saying.

Bottom line, never do anything drastic till you get shit in writing. Period.

I've had crappy jobs before though, and had plenty of jerks push me around because they made .50 more an hour than me, but I've never quit a job without making sure I had another one set up. Nope.

12. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:

I knew you were going to evaluate this entire post without just being able to say yes or no to the question...and if you couldn't tell I was pretty pissed at the time I was writing this...if you couldn't tell by the poor grammar.

13. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    That is exactley what I did... It was by word of mouth, he said I had the job..so I Said to him okay then I'm quiting IHOP...plain and simple..

Look everyone I'm not going to sit here and argue consistently with how it should be done, how you want to evaluate it, or how you care how you would of done it.

Just answer the simple question. If I wanted you to care about my problems I would tell you my life problems but that is for another place and time...maybe a bar. in a few years

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

People like you put these events into motion and then act suprised when the situation develops the way EVERYONE ELSE CAN SEE IT COMING.

I just don't get it. Why would you yell at someone? He made the best decision for himself, his employees, and his business. He didn't owe you a thing--hell, he didn't owe you the phone call and the explanation, but he was courteous enough to provide them.

Now, when this female employee gets pregnant, or another employee quits, or a friend of his mentions that he needs a cashier at his ice cream parlor (I like that word, offhand), you know who he's going to call?

HERE'S A HINT: IT'S NOT YOU, BECAUSE YOU "WENT OFF ON HIM."

I just don't get it.

15. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    A job on word alone, as you obviously now know, ain't a job.

Even though you just ran through a laundry list of your problems, I think you're mistaking a conversation with an argument. There is no argument here son.

16. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

shit sucks, but here's my recomendation learn a trade or go back to school.
    Good luck.

17. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, you probably should have kept the job at IHOP at part-time hours and found another part-time job. With the way the economy is I don't think I would have told them you were done at IHOP until you dotted the final "i" for that subshop guy. And no, I've never been in this type of situation.

18. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    I bitched at him in a sense of being agitated yes, was I yelling at the top of my lungs, no. Was I stern in my voice, most deffinantley. See what you fail to see is that this problem aggitates ME, MYSELF and I. But I figured I would post this to see if anyone had the same problem before...if you don't then okay you haven't but if you don't understand where i'm coming from or want to give me advice, then just say so....you make it seem like i'm being the victim of my own device.

Please don't call me son. And this "laundry list" is for you to say if you had this problem before or not.

Again I'm not going to sit here and argue all day just answer the question people. If this "personna;y" hurts you, offends you, or you have input on what you would have done, just PM me, that is what it is for.

19. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    squirrelcar is teh winnah!

20. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:

Just couldn't answer the question huh?

I guess there is no use in keeping this thread up then if no one can answer the question instead of dismantling the thread like a time bomb.

Mods close the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.