I guess eBay is no longer a place to sell your stuff for quick cash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverider, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    In the last week, I've been sell on ebay to get rid of a lot of stuff I have. This is the 1st time I'm selling there. I notice that paypal places a hold on your money for newbie sellers(New Seller Status). I usually get my funds a couple of days after deliver confirmation with USPS Priority Mail. It's the USPS Parcel Post and international 1st class that have you waiting for a while.

I am not hurting for cash and I just want to get rid of my stuff, but I feel sorry for those that need the quick cash and don't know about this policy that apparently started at the beginning of the year.

Check out the list to get out of "New Seller Status":

I think eBay will lose a lot of revenue from many honest casual sellers that need quick cash.

I understand that eBay needs to protect buyers, but what about the sellers? We're the ones that makes eBay money with all the fees. And The sellers are more exposed to scammers than buyers due to loopholes in their buyer protection policy.

What do you guys think of this?

PayPal payments that aren't yet available

2. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

eBay messed up a long time ago with the new money order policy.

They are too big for their own good.
    It's time for a new site to take their place.

Etsy is good, but that site is only for handmade, vintage and art and craft supplies.

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That policy has been there for at least the last 4 years. I was really pissed when they pulled it on me. I just ranted and raved until they gave me money.

4. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    In a way I am glad I had my eBay account for a long time. I used it mostly for buying stuff and occasionally sold some items so the new seller status no longer applies to me. I tried signing up for an Amazon account in January as an alternative to eBay. Sold my first item that month and it took almost a month to get my cash even after the item was delivered and buyer left positive feedback.

5. Waverider

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Actually the policy is new to all new/casual sellers that doesn't all the qualifying criteria. What you experienced was eBay cherry picking seller transactions that was they flag as "risky". My friend had that imposed on him because he had a low feedback rating. They held his funds for a month.

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Feedback's always been 100 percent and at that point I had over 100 feedbacks all rated positive.

Edit: Had to look it up but apparently being a new seller was also part of the criteria when they implemented it 4 years ago:

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y08/m02/i08/s03

and corroborating info:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Selling-Manager-Pro/Payment-From-Paypal/520049879

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    That's shit. That means that I'm a new seller, although I'm a Member for more than 10 years minimum, maybe 15 and I have already sold some stuff many years ago. But probably not that much.

Is there an alternative to ebay which is international too? And where many people look and you actually get good stuff too?

8. Shockblast2

Shockblast2 Banned

Yeah, they do this if you fall below 4.80 stars under the shipping time rating too. For a month.

Unless you can shipp the very next day in all cases it is very hard to keep that rating. Ebay has lost touch with the demands of its customers. Both buyers and sellers.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Ebay are sneaky crooks. They know how to pinch your money from all directions.

They don't care what the buyers do, because all the money is in the sellers accounts.

10. Waverider

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Woohoo! I just had my 25th sale. I have now met all the criteria in ending my new seller status....

11. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ebay has been unfriendly to the small seller for a while. Between some of the buyers, the fees, and some policies I try to list as many items as I can elsewhere now.

12. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Yeah, it's been a long time since it was a worldwide garage sale. The real shame is that they still don't have much competition. If it weren't for the Paypal-only rule, I'd still be selling on eBay and doing a hell of alot more buying too. Amazon's about as close a replacement as I could find, but they take a huge bite out in commissions and restrict listings to their pre-existing catalog unless you pay a subscription fee on top of the aforementioned commissions. It's a hell of a price to pay for not being chained to Paypal.

13. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn, this sucks. I was just getting ready to my old Yu-Gi-Oh cards. But since I've never sold anything, I guess I won't be getting that money for a while.

14. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find amazon system far better, evven though they do take a larger commission. You dont have to make a new listing, nor take pics. And the money is released when its sent (although amazon too is now holding funds).

Ebay's got a 4 figure sum of my money right now. Even in most cases, the buyer has received the item and the buyer has left positive feedback, I emailed them repeatedly with absolutely NO response. I try to sell here as much as possible, but most ppl here want these items for unrealistically low prices.
    ITs a new profit center for these guys by holding YOUR cash and making interest off of it.
    So pick your poison.

15. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

You pay fees on shipping cost on ebay. Sellers who are honest about shipping costs have to pay ebay a fee on what a buyer pays to have an item shipped to them. It's money the seller never sees!

16. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    As a buyer (Haven't sold in years) I find it is almost not worth buying anything on ebay. All my old searches I delete because it just isn't the same. there are better websites to find just about everything else nowadays besides ebay.

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

The listing setup is great until you have something for sale that isn't listed and then you can't sell it without moving to the subscription service. I could tolerate a one-time fee (to pay for somebody to write or proofread a new listing) but I just don't have the sales volume to go the subscription route. And then there you are, right back at practices that're unfriendly to smaller sellers.

Don't get me wrong, I've generally liked Amazon's service, but it's not 1998's eBay.

18. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I keep holding on to hope that one day everyone will wake up and ALL of the sellers will stop using Ebay until they change. I think it'd be hysterical if EVERY seller stopped using Ebay for like ONE week - just to screw with Ebay and let them know who REALLY pays the bills.

I liked Ebay when it first started. Seems like right after they bought PayPal it all turned to shit.

19. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    Yep, eBay went down the crapper years ago. I only use it to buy now. If a seller tries to screw me, it's ridiculously easy for me to get my money back. On the flip side of that coin it's way too easy to be screwed as a seller.

20. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I haven't dealt with Ebay in over 3 years because of their paypal policy. I bought several old TF items off of there years ago, and the site was actually fun but the entire feel of the place has changed. I could use paypal but I don't feel like it. I also have a problem with the idea of forcing customers to use a service that they own and administer. I like choices.