I greatly appreciate the realism Michael Bay used in the movie.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jetstorm, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I mean, of course it's like a fantasy movie, like with big transforming robots and girls like Mikaela, but there is a degree of realism in this movie that I think is hard to come by these days.

From watching the bonus features on the 2-disc DVD it looked like everything but the CGI Transformers characters was real. Real cars/trucks. Real locations. Real stunts. Real. And, hell, the CGI even looked GOOD! I don't think many of you on the board know this, but I despise CGI when it's over-used and looks bad (I'm looking at you Phantom Menace and Sorceror's Stone and especially the raping of E.T. for the 20th anniversary!). Lord of the Rings managed to pull off CGI pretty well but I was completely blown away with the work done in Transformers. My hat's off to the effects team :thumb 

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i think the only realistic aspect, which brought a lot of credibility to the scenes, were the miltary ones.

the hacker scenes were kinda hokey.

3. Krazy4hockey25

Krazy4hockey25 Member

I concur

4. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    yeah. the military/government/robot parts were VERY believable. the hacker stuff was...meh.

5. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    Actually thats exactly why he did the movie. He only would do it, if he could make it real and if alien robots are coming to earth, in real life, the military would definitely be involved in national defense.

And you know how Michael loves the military. So yeah the military scenes were all Michael Bay. He loves putting the military in a good light because his style of filmmaking is really testosterone fueled.

But yeah, its definitely good that it was made very realistic.

He literally asked the guys in the military what would you do if a bogey helicopter landed and then started transforming. And they responded with, the moment anything strange happens such as the moment it transforms, they would just unleash hell on it without hesitation and THAT'S real.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Since when has realism been lacking in movies so much that Michael bay gets all this credit for making transformers 'real'?

Realism uh huh...You know movie also had alot of Realism in it? Josie and the Pussycats.

Though i don't really think it took a genius to understand what the military's reaction would be alien robots suddenly attacked them.

7. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I agree!

I've seen plenty of fat guys crash through plate glass windows in my time, and when Glen's cousin crashed through the sliding glass door, you could totally tell it was fake.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    apparently, bay thinks blacks running from authority is funny.

9. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Except for in Bad Boys when they were the authority!

10. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I think (should that read 'hope'?) that the OP was referring to Mr Bays choice to use as much practical 'in camera' effects work as possible in which to integrate his mammoth CGI robots i.e. a limit to green-screen, CGI pyro etc and the bulk of the film shot at real outdoor locations.

I do think that it's a big jump to go from this to suggesting that the movie was 'realistic' in any other capacity. The script, story, characters and so forth were as silly as anything we've come to expect from summer 'tent-pole' features.

11. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:lolol 

I like picturing the conversation, though. "So you guys shoot at stuff for a living, right?" "Absolutely." "So what would you do if you were confronted by a giant alien robot?" "Well, we'd probably shoot at it."

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    actually, i liked the part when blackout started to transform, they didnt bother cutting to show the grunts reaction, bullets just flew. there was no hesitation and it was basically 'the best defense is a good offense'.

13. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    oh yeah. I bet every solider there, had their triggers 3 quarters of the way down before that thing even finished landing :p 

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't know why he didn't do the hacker stuff more realistic.

The Robots were amazing. The Military scenes were amazing. The Robots, to this day, still blow my mind how realistic they came out.

Everything just blended so well together in their scenes.

15. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    the only time hacker stuff was done realistic in the sci-fi world of films is The Matrix Reloaded when Trinity tried to hack the network to shut off all the power in the grid because they used a hacking software that is actually used by hackers in the real world we live in. And thats a big stretch considering the movie not only is fictional but takes place inside an even more fictional setting (inside The Matrix).

Now going to back to Transformers, how the heck can they make hacking more real when they are dealing with an Alien language that is also fictional?

Perhaps they can make it real by casting an actual well known notorious hacker who tried to hack investment banks on Wall Street who is currently incarcerated??

Would that be real enough for you??

That way you can say "Oh yeah the army stuff was done really real. Also the hacking scenes were done really real too since they got a REAL hacker to decipher the sound made by the decepticons"

16. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Yes! Thank you! That's excactly what I'm talking about ^_^ (I thought I made that pretty clear in my post too :p 

17. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

I greatly appreciate it when directors decide to use actual locations and practical effects rather than CGI. That's what I hated about the recent Star Wars movies, which completely forgot sets and cut straight for giant green screens and poles with tennis balls.

18. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    yeah, from the very first time I saw Blackout's transformation in one of the commercials (or trailers) I was amused how the soldiers realistically reacted to a giant helicopter standing up. Shooting it with everything they had, instead of just standing there with their mouth agape in dull surprise.

19. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Sarcasm or not? I can't tell in print! :wink: 

Can we get back on-topic with the OP. He wasn't discussing some absurdist notion that Transformers is a 'realistic' film...

...or if Wall Street hackers are needed to accurately portray certain film characters (?)

20. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

In all honestly, this is what michael bay is known for in his movies so frankly I don't see the point in congratulating him on something he does in ALL his movies. The movie is absolutely nothing new in regards to his directorial talents.