i graduated and my gift money is fueling my addiction

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by justinRODimus, Jul 4, 2008.

1. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

so i got a bunch of money from family and friends because i guess no one really knows what a teenager likes (who woulda thought a big football player like me collects transformers and is secretly a nerd? well i'm proud of it and i don't even care about the weird looks i get at the stores. i'm more than meets the eye!).

so this summer, i've spent 180 dollars on transformers so far (damn, i didn't realize how much i had spent until just now). i have this weird feeling every time i buy transformers now, i just bought a bunch of animated toys and i think the feeling is...guilt!

but why should i be guilty? its my money, but i don't know why i get this feeling. there are still so many transformers i NEED like: movie bonecrusher (which i have to ebay now), movie blackout, movie brawl, animated grimlock and and animated leader bulkhead and all the animated decepticons. thats so much!!! i can't just drop all my money on transformers. my mom says "get something big that will mean something to you."

well, right now, transformers is what MEANS something to me. anyone else get this little argument going on in there head (to buy or not to buy)

2. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    No dude, I understand the guilt, I'm probably gonna stop for a while after Animated Leader Megatron, cuz there's times where I think "hey these 40 bucks could have been for some liquor/saved up/clothes/savings" but man it feels good to drop so much money on them and still be ok. I got the henkei seekers plus reiusses and a few megatrons from back in the day with some of my tax return. If you do feel guilty I'd say just stop as well, maybe try to get a wii or something else.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I did..pretty much as you did.

Spent $200+ on my PSP. Also spent over $150 on Animated figures...

I was planning to save a chunk for other things, things a bit more..important than my collection, but..I just couldn't keep the money in my pocket.

So I have about $50 set aside for life.

And another $200 something for SDCC, $100+ for when I go to Florida in October, and some cash for a concert I am going to next week.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I bought Brave Max and a Megatron re-issue when I graduated.

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Congratulations on your graduation.

Guilty pleasure is also a pleasure, enjoy your purchases :D 

6. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Just as long as it is cash and not credit, and you can still pay all of your bills... you are laughing !

7. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know how you feel. I also just graduated, and used that money to buy all of the first few waves of Animated, plus a few other things. That money was supposed to go to something like a laptop or something, but oh well. I still have quite a bit left. It really hit me when I dropped the $125 for the Omega Supreme reissue. My major guilt is that Im still spending all this money, yet my interest in collecting is fading.(took my collection off display, its in storage now.)

8. justinRODimus

haha, the commnts all make me feel better, maybe next year when im off to college, i won't be as guilty cuz my mom won't be there all the team, "What did you buy now?! More stupid Transformers?!" (and its funny how people stress the "trans" instead of the "form" when they think transformers stupid) i realize being here that i'm not the worst tf addict around!

9. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so much for college huh? :) 

10. Commtech

Commtech Voice Over Bot

News Credits:
    This is one of the few times that I feel good about being older than you guys, because I got a good job to buy as many toys as I want and my parents can't control my money anymore.
    One word of advice: Stay in school, so you can get a good paying job and buy more toys! LOL!!

11. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To buy or not to buy? buy then coz' once you get married & settled down that's when the so-called restrictions or hindrances reappears again (i.e when you're young it's yr mum/parents, when you're married it's yr other half/family commitments).

So while you're still young with many more virile yrs & bachelorhood ahead of you. just buy whatever you like, don't hold back & when you enter the working world having yr own funds no one's gonna stop you b'coz it's yr own money. but once you've decided to get married..that's when the picture will changed abit for you. i'm not saying being married is a bad thing, hell yeah! it's been good for me. my wife is more or less supportive of my hobby (despite her nagging abt it taking up space every once in awhile) & my daughter of five who likes barbie dolls & stuffs also digs & appreciate TF & other robots in general :thumbs2: .

But the downside is i can't just buy anything i like anymore or buy loads & loads of stufs. family comes first. there are more important priorities in life & buying TF becomes secondary. that's why sometimes when i looked back during my bachelor days when i have more spare cash..i regret not buying more stuffs i like.

12. justinRODimus

so much for college? i cant wait for college!! the city i live in is so damn boring...

13. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    Worrrrrrrrrrd. It's funny but I curtailed my collection expenditures during college but then ramped it back up once I started working. I was also blessed to find a wife that appreciates my need for having "my own thing". Now our friends tell their kids, "you want to have all those toys your unlce does, study hard and get a good job."

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I guess I'm one of the few that thinks it would have been a better idea to have saved the money. $180 for Transformers, no matter how you slice it, is a LOT of money. I'm not sure if you're going straight to college in the fall, but if you are, you'll find that some books are worth $100 alone - even if they're used! You're going to need that cash as the fall semester goes on and I'm assuming most of your family gave you that money with those expenditures in mind.

15. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    fuel it! burn baby burn! :rock 

16. CrossRook

CrossRook Well-Known Member

I just graduated as well. $150 has already been spent on Leader Animated Megs, Animated Wave 3 and Universe Wave 1. The other ~$1000 is going towards a new computer. :D 

17. justinRODimus

you're right but my parents wouldn't let me use gift money for my books. i just got a 1000 scholarship so i think that should cover my books. i just gotta figure out the tuition. (goin to uc irvine if anyone else is in the area, i'll e close!)

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Books or not, it's going to be missed money once the semester begins. Money goes fast once you're on your own in college. You'll probably burn through $1000 in at least the first month or so on luxuries alone - that's what most folks do before they realize that the money goes so fast.

19. justinRODimus

i can guarantee you that i won't be spending 1000 dollars because i wont have 1000 dollars... i didn't even get a thousand dollars for graduating (but i know alot of people who did, my friends parents cut him a thousand dollar check but he didn't accept it. i woulda done the same)