I got to meet Liberty Devitto.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpencimusPrime, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    So I am in a camp called "Camp Jam". Basically, you bring your instrument (In my case, Guitar), show them your skills, and play in a band. Cool, but not why I posted this.

Each week they get a musician to perform and give a bit of a Q & A session, sign autographs, etc.. So this year, they got Libery Devitto. You may not know of him, but the man knows his way around the drums.

From 1976 to 2006, he played drums for Billy Joel, giving him the longest tenure in Joel's band. He gave several examples of drums "Answering" the vocals (something guitar usually does) and played "Running on Ice" as an example, as well as a blues tune called "Fever". He also talked about Artistic Interpretation, Why drums are important to the band, and why the song outweighs all of the band members in importance. He was also extremely witty, answering even ridiculous questions for the sake of making a joke.

Not only that, he knows two of the kids in my group from previous years (Even having dinner with their family), so he sat with our band for a while and got to talk to him, even giving our drummer advice.

Overall, a really cool guy. I'm glad I had this experience.

2. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm a Billy Joel fan and saw him in concert a few times.. so kudos to you for meeting Liberty..hell of a drummer..

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Nice man! everything I've read in my Drumming magazines make him sound like a hell of a nice guy.