I got a ticket today taking alphie to work...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChldsPlay, Mar 29, 2009.

1. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Was taking Kristen to work this morning and I took the long way because we had a lot of snow and figured the highway would be the clearest roads. Got to a point where the speed limit changes from 55 to 65 and I accelerated and when I looked it was at 67 or 68 and I saw a car up ahead on the side of the road and to be cautious I let it back down to 65.

It was a cop from the sheriff's office and he pulled behind me. I wasn't even sure what he was doing for awhile because he had his lights on but for a long time was just going very slow way back behind me. I pulled over (despite someone in the right lane in a van who just kept trucking a long) and he pulled in behind me. He gave me a ticket for doing 70 in a 55.

This kind of pisses me off since it was at a point where the speed limit went up to 65 and I don't think I ever got as high as 70. The cost of the ticket is $108 which I guess isn't too bad, but I'm more worried about it impacting my insurance. I'm also contemplating going to court and hoping the guy won't show or that the judge will understand that I just accelerated for the speed change. I don't really want to do the lawyer thing since they cost too much. Any suggestions?

To make things worse, I went home via the route I normally take and it was perfectly clear. At least he didn't give me another ticket for no front license plate or tinted windows.

2. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

you can always go to court and request a reduced sentence, not sure how that affects your insureance(i believe it doesn't affect it much if at all). might wanna wait till someone more knowledgable comes along.

3. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    You can often get points knocked off so it has no impact on your insurance. Go to court. What is the worst that can happen, they say 'no' and make you pay it just as you normally would?

4. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

There have been rolling speedtraps here because of spring break.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Photocopy your ticket. Write a letter to your DA about what happened and how your a voter blah blah. Give them the photocopy and the letter. More than likely they will take care of it for you. DAs are more worried about retaining your vote than you paying a fine. I've done this with every speeding ticket that I have ever gotten, and it has worked every time.

6. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Defiantly go to court and explain the situation. If anything you can see if the judge will allow you to just pay the fine, but have no points put on your license.

7. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Did you accelerate before passing the 65 sign,or after passing it?

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I agree, go to court and fight it. Just explain what happened.

9. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Go to court, explain what happened, if the judge ain't hearing it, just tell him/her you'll pay the fine, but don't want the points on our driving record.

Its all about the money.

10. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

If and when you go to court ask(and the cop shows up) the cop if he is radar gun certified. Alot of cops use radar guns but are not ceritfied. Also, ask to see the radar record, every radar should have one. If he answers no, ask the judge to drop the case. In my county, judges will not issue a ticket if they are not. My brother in law(he's a cop[a cool one])helped me out with an issue just like yours. Good luck.

11. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recommend using one of those ticket clinic type places. They charge about $60 to $80, but will increase the likelihood that it will not appear on your record and your insurance will not increase.

12. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Before, but I had actually just come off the interstate which was 65 MPH, exited to another highway which was 55 for about 1/8 of a mile before switching up to 65 MPH, so I was barely even in the 55 MPH zone before he got me right before the 65 MPH zone. I was well into the the 65 MPH zone when he pulled me over.

13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I know in western NY, if you go to court for speeding tickets, they usually mark them down to parking tickets so the towns keep the money rather than the state and this also means no points on the license

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That cop sounds like a tricky bastard. He probably get's alot of people in that mph changing point since it switches back and forth so fast.
    probably a huge Gary Busey fan too

15. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

When unsure, go slower. Until you pass that sign you are not to go that speed. It doesn't matter WHERE they pull you over. Sounds like you were doing at least 10+ MPH over the speed limit of 55. I drive a road regularly that goes from 55 to 40 to 25 in about 200 yards. And that is because it is a major road to a small-timey main street with dozens of crosswalks. And when you reach that sign, you better be going the slower speed, not beginning to slow down.

You were speeding and you even admit it, you just don't think it was a big deal. I am not sure what there is to argue about except to let the court know rules do not apply to you... They love that.

16. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can probably get the judge to drop a point but most likely, that will be it. Despite him being a tricky bastard, the cop caught you breaking the speed limit, so don't expect any breaks.