I got a new TV tonight!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skywarp_TPK, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Skywarp_TPK

Skywarp_TPK Harbringer of the MegaDub

So April( my GF) and I went into HHGreg tonight to look at their 32" LCD HDTV that they had on sale for $497, but they didn't have any left in stock, so after a long debate, and looking at the finaces, I ended up getting a great deal on the TV I got, no, the TV that I have been wanting for well over a year. I ended up getting a 42" Sharp 1080p AQUOIS LCD HDTV! They had it for $1872! That is about $400 less than what I normally see it at, and around $150 cheaper than the lowest I have seen it. The great thing about it is that the sales lady misquoted the warranty price to me by a $100! And she ended up getting me that warranty at that Price! WOOT! So All in all, it cost me around $2300, which I used their 1 day only special of no interest same as cash financing for 24 months for $2000 of it, so not only will I have an awesome TV, I will also get some good credit building out of this!

Not content with just that, after my buddy that help me get it home left, we went to Gamestop and picked up the HD DVD Add on drive for the 360 and an copy of Lady in the water on HD DVD, it was used and only cost me $17(the movie not the drive:)  ).

So now I am in the middle of hooking all this stuff up in my bedroom, but man, is it going to be sweet!

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hell yeah

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great choice for a TV. I have a feeling the $100 off on the warrantee wasn't an "accident" though. :lol  They do tricks like that all the time where I work to get people to buy it.

4. SunDown

SunDown Fatty McFatFat

and it sounds like you fell for the loss leader trick...oh well it doesnt matter as long as you are happy and can afford it. congrats

5. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You lucky son of a gun. I am so jealous. My tv just broke and now everything on it has a blue tint over it. I feel as if I am trapped in the f45king Smurf village and I am broke from buying too many Transformers. Seriously, congratulations. You got a great deal.

6. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I don't think I could go back to a 42" TV anymore. My old one was 56", and my new one is 61" and only costs $2049 with 3 years no interest. Had both of em running for our Superbowl party.

7. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Warrentys are marked up like 500% :D  They tried that when I got my tv...fools

8. Skywarp_TPK

Yeah, the warranty deal did sound fishy but I wanted that TV for so long, and the 1 year Manufacturer's warranty didn't include Surge Protection, so I thought that $299 for 3 years didn't sound that bad.

And when I was signing all the paper work, I told the sales lady that they just pulled one heck of a Bait and Switch.

9. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Awesome. I've been wanting a new tv for my bedroom for quite some time. I'm jealous. Just one question. How the hell big is your bedroom? 42" wouldn't even fit (well) in my room. :lol 

10. Skywarp_TPK

My bedroom is pretty big. I have a King Size bed in there, Bedroom suite, and a nice table, and still have plenty of room left over.

Last night I hooked it all up in my bedroom and man, does it look awesome! I watched Part of King Kong and part of the Star Trek episode “Balance of Terror” (HD version with improved special effects). Both of them looked absolutely amazing! The 360 outputting at 1080p was awesome! Gears of War was great! I played the last part of the train level, and my Girlfriend got scared by RAAM. I even watched some regular cable this morning, and even though it was just running through coaxial, it still looked great! I plan on getting Digital HD Cable though, I just need to price it and see how much of an increase it will be.

11. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

We sell that TV and the 46" version at my job, I want it so bad its not funny.

12. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Congrats on the TV.

13. Skywarp_TPK

Anyone have any HD DVD movie Recommendations?

14. Skywarp_TPK

They had a 52" Version of this TV, but that was the biggest they make in 1080p LCDs. I really don't like the Limited viewing angles on Projection TVs.

15. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i just got me a 40 inch tv. not quite 42, but it it rules. congrats!

16. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Congrats, I wish I had that kind of money to throw down on an awesome TV

17. OldSchool80sKid

OldSchool80sKid Banned

Great buy!! I just bought myself a high-definition television this past December. I purchased a 50 inch 1080i/720p Sony Wega rear projection LCD television with matching stand, surge protector, HDMI cable, up-convert Samsung DVD player, 2 Sony DVD/VCR combo players(one as a gift and one for my 27 inch television), and a four year in-home service that includes one bulb replacement with 36 months no interest for $2700 total with delivery at BEST BUY. I already have Bose 5.1 surround sound. I also bought a piece of clear plexiglass at Lowe's that I attach to the front of the TV whenever I have guests who have active small children that like to touch things, i.e., the screen, lol. I'm currently re-watching 'The X-files'. I just started season three. I must say everything looks great on high definition. Enjoy!! I'm off to watch X-Files S3, 'The List' with the late J.T. Walsh.

P.S. I have to say after looking at those Sharp televisions, I believe they have one of the best pictures out there. :thumb 

18. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I have:

King Kong
    Mission Impossible 3
    Clerks 2
    Batman Begins
    Serenity
    Cinderella Man

King Kong easily has the best picture quality (even though I think the movie wasn't very good) though it shows how awful the CGI and blue screen work in that movie was.

MI3 is pretty good, as well as Serenity and Batman.
    I haven't opened Cinderella Man yet.
    Clerks is well Clerks, it's better than DVD, but it's not a movie that's gonna wow you no matter what.

I rented Miami Vice, and if I remember it looked pretty good.
    I need to rent The Departed now that it's out.

19. Skywarp_TPK

Yeah, that was what I was thinking too. I like the way it looks compared to even the Sony brand TVs.

20. Skywarp_TPK

I will definitely add Serenity to my list of HD DVDs to get. I never watched Firefly, but that movie rocked even on my old RCA Console TV, so I can't wait to see the HD version of it on my TV!