Customs: I got a dremel set! Now what?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ORIO, Oct 1, 2009.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys, my father in law (some type of geologist or something...) gave me a dremel set. Its an old one and he has all the little bits and tools for it. But, I have a question. Whats the best way to test it out and what are some good tips for using this tool?

I'm thinking of picking up some legends or scout figures and just start scarring and disfiguring just to see what effect each bit does, but any type of advice on using this before I start hacking into my figures would be most appreciated.

I couldn't find a tutorial on this... maybe i searched in the wrong place... any help would be great.

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

i would say, just grab some safety glasses and dig in! :) 

i had a hot piece of plastic fly up and hit my eye lid a few weeks back, been wearing the safety glasses ever since, lol

3. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

Don't forget your safety equipment, eyewear and gloves. I wear the thin gloves with a tough rubber coating on the fingers. You can usually find these at Home Depot in the garden section.

4. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got the glasses, he included those as well :) 

Let me try and explain what I'm going to attempt to do. Universe Nightstick. I want to lob his head, barrel and those spike things on his shoulder off?

for the head? saw it off or better to use an x-acto knife?
    barrel? Rodimusdawg used a dremel and wire cutters. But I'm not sure exactly "how"
    spike things? saw em? or sand paper? or sand paper drum on dremel?

Someone want to be my personal mentor? I feel like I may be askin' stupid questions...

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Chase the mailman? Well, conceptually it sounds like a good idea.

Aside from that? DIG IN! I'd recommend some scrap parts for just drilling and such just to get the feel of things. Personally, I mostly use them for making the holes on heads bigger to fit on the neck joint.

Have fun! :) 

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

If you're talking about the spikes on this shoulders, better to cut them off, them sand till smooth. For the head, i wouldn't recommend a cutting disc, because it may be so big that you would end up harming other parts of the figure.

Barrel? Not sure.

7. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

drill, cut, sand, everything you see. including ur dog.. if u have one. haha. jp. but ya. dremel will be ur best friend wen it comes to kitbashing or just doing some minor stuff that would of taken 5x longer w/ like a x-acto knife

8. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Glasses! Glasses Glasses, your eyes are liquid magnets for any and everything coming off of the dremel tool. I use mine extensively on every project from cutting up my helo into sections to make Blackout to hollowing out gun barrels, filing down joints that will rub when paint is applied, Ive even used the diamond bit setting for carving cybertronian symbols into figures. When cutting through toy plastic make sure you leave an extra 1/8 th of an inch at least to make up for plastic melting otherwise nothing will fit right when you try to use it afterwards.

9. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whoa, the plastic will melt? Does the dremel really run that hot? Or is that if you just spend a long duration of time on one certain spot?

10. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Depends on what bit you are using and what you are doing egzactly the faster you cut the more air time the plastic has to cool but if are grinding away at any particular spot for an extending period of time the plastic can melt quickly. Not saying your toy will turn into a pile of goop it just widens alot of cuts and what nots. And it makes a fuckin mess of the carpet be prepared to have the vacuum at handy or you might have some pissed off relatives or roomates.

11. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    i myself have just gotten to using a dremel. so far i've removed most of the paint from alt primes roof. dont hold the dremel in one place for a long period of time, otherwords goodbye plastic. there are already a few dents but. meh there not that deep.whew.

12. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

get yourself down the 99c store, pickup five bucks worth of crappy KO toys and hack them to pieces.

practice etching surface detail, moving and reattatching joints, drilling, cutting, and generally making a mess. that way you'll get a feel for how much pressure to apply, how long to cut before moving away, and all stuff like that without borking up anything you'll miss. :) 

all those bits of plastic will be useful for testing dying, painting and varnishing techniques on too. remember to keep all the teeny weeny little screws and any serviceable joints - you never know when you might need generic bits.

13. Treadshot A1

^ This. Seriously, test it out on something you don't care about first. Otherwise, you might end up destroying something precious. Plus, if there are any generic robots, keep the heads and weapons. You always need good heads to use, and weapons never hurt (well, unless you're on the receiving end of one!).

14. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool advice! I thought about getting some cheap knockoffs. But is the plastic that much different that when I try using the dremel on a hasbro bot I may get a different result then I got on the KO?

Hopefully when I saw off Nightsticks head it'll be a quick clean cut and nothing will melt

15. Treadshot A1

The plastic quality on a KO is, well, lacking quality, but it should do fine, if a bit easier to cut through.

I doubt Nightstick's head will melt, except really close to the blade. Look, whichever part you are wishing to keep (head or body), cut just a little bit towards the other side, so you don't ruin the parts you want.

16. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't recommend cutting off Nightstick's head but instead building off it instead. But legends head may also work with it also. Then a decapitation would be necessary.

I will take pics of all my bits and give a general idea of the uses. But it will sometime tomorrow or Monday.

17. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dug through some minicons and found a few heads from those guys that will still fit inside the barrel piece that covers his head in weapon mode.

I'm afraid that building off of it will interfere with the weapon transformation. I want to remove the barrel, but replace it with something else so it's still a Targetmaster :) 

18. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Played around with it today for the first time. (SQ7 teased me in the cool stuff thread :) ) Drilling holes and just cutting at random.

I couldn't remember how to put on the cutting disc :(  and a couple of bits slid out while I was using it. I couldn't remember what the father in law told me, so I stopped after a bit for the sake of safety. Pretty fun though, the little bits of plastic reminded me of shaved chocolate

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    :ev: 

20. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You evil, evil... uh... motivator you. :)