I get insulted for not playing Skrillex... Wtf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starscream600, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

So on my regular set at the night club last Saturday night, a guy came up to me to request a Skrillex track. I told him that I don't have any tracks by Skrillex, moreover, I was playing UK Hardcore at that time. So he just said "What kind of DJ are you? Play something that PEOPLE WANT TO HEAR!". I simply replied "I'm not playing Dubstep right now. And Skrillex is NOT dubstep, it's POST-DUBSTEP. Also, do you speak for everyone on the dance floor?" He said "What a motherf**king piece of sh*t DJ." before storming off.

I mean seriously, I'm not paid to take this type of sh*t. I wanted to punch that little c**t in his face. I've refered this case to the club owner and he told me that he'll look into it. Why won't people get it? Skrillex is POST-DUBSTEP. NOT DUBSTEP!!! This is already the second time I've gotten insulted in that club. I'm really thinking of quitting that damn job.

Sorry to rant but I just gotta get it out of my system. Do you guys think that I should quit? I really can't take the abuse the teens are hurling at me. I'm f**king pissed. I really am.

EDIT: I've modified the post to erase the vulgarities.

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    It's all the same damn thing.

Getting huffy over someone else's opinion when you're just splitting hairs in the first place is incredibly lame. Quitting a paying job over it would be about the dumbest thing you could do. Unless the guy paying you has a problem with you and your performance, fuck them. If this is in a club, I assume there's some sort of security working there, call him over to kick the guy out for starting shit.

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I dunno. Most DJ's do requests, part of the job IMO.

4. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

5. Starscream600

Request are NOT part of the job for club DJs, only mobile DJs accept requests (Maybe wedding DJs too). Common mistake.

GUISE, NUMBER 13. THAT'S MY ANSWER TO THAT GUY.

Dude. He called me a "Motherf**king piece of sh*t DJ". It's not an opinion, it's an insult! How can you not be pissed at that?

If it means being free from all these insults, I'd quit. There's many clubs in town that would hire me, not just this one.

I've alerted the club owner when the first incident started, he told me that he'll beef up security. And when this second incident happened, there were 2 security guard at the entrance, that's all. And they were busy with handling the people outside.

6. KaguyaHouraisan

KaguyaHouraisan TORANS-FORMAAAA!

Music fandoms in a nutshell.

7. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    Because I'm not in Junior High.

Some people are dicks. Deal with it.

8. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Now you know how Hasbro/Takara feels about certain fans...

9. Avengers

Avengers Banned

So you work at a night club for teens. how old are these teens? are they over the age of 18? I never heard of a night club for teens under the age of 18.

Instead of getting into yelling figths. just solve the problem by playing the Skrillex music.
    part of being a good DJ,Is playing music customers want to hear. even if that customer is one person.

Being a DJ is not about playing music that the DJ only likes.

A DJ'S job is to have a big assorted list of music to play. not only a paricular theme or a limited suit case full of music themes.

10. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And rightly so. Only a communist would refuse to play Skrillex.

No, but seriously though, that sucks, but at least from my understanding, dealing with the occasional shithead seems to be the unfortunate reality of any nightlife related job.

It sucks, but I can't see a remedy a remedy unless you start working as an accountant or something.

11. Starscream600

When I first heard about a under 18 club, I didn't believe it too. It's basically a club meant for teens so, no alcohol. That guy was about 18.

Because I only play one genre every saturday. Plus, how can I mix a track that's 175-180 BPM into a Dubstep track which is about 140 BPM?

Like I said, I only play a specific genre every saturday. Electro house, Hardcore, Dubstep, Hardstyle, House, Trance etc. And no, I don't carry in a case of CDs/Vinyls. Just a hard drive loaded with 12GBs of track of a specific genre.

12. Avengers

Avengers Banned

What kind of night club is this?

one for teens under 18?

A club where people eat,drink & dance at?

One with a bar & dancing go-go girls?

A strip club?

is this night club inside a school,church,nights of colombus building. part of a restaurant.
    is this night club it's own seperate building?

13. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

...dude, you're pretty mistaken if you think things would be different in any other club. With the sheer amount of asshats out there, you're BOUND to run into em no matter where you're playing and there's not much that can be done to stop it. This is especially true at any kind of club where many asshats gather. A bouncer at a club won't know if some guy will want to hear a certain song and ask you to play it, all they can do is react when something actually happens. And as you said yourself, it is a common misconception that all DJs take requests so chances are these people think you'll take a request.

So two people(...out of how many?) came up and insulted you, big freaking deal. Kids no less, who aren't known for being the most mature group out there...especially at parties. If you can't handle simple insults and criticism (however baseless it may be) maybe you should just quit and find a job that doesn't put you in the spotlight surrounded by dozens of hyperactive juveniles who think they know everything.

14. Starscream600

My answer:
    Just no alcohol.

15. Avengers

Avengers Banned

how old are you?

16. Starscream600

Uhhhhh, 15. You a cop?

17. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:lol 

18. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    however in the right you were, you still acted like an ass hat. all you had to say was "no requests", instead you acted like a jerk. also fairly remiss of you for not having a 'go-to' folder of things you know you're going to get asked for every night, no matter how you hate it, or how much you're trying to play something else.

19. Starscream600

Post-Dubstep aka "Club Dubstep/Brostep" is way different than original Dubstep.

20. HugeBadWolf

HugeBadWolf XO in charge of radishes

News Credits:
    Do you ever play any of that stuff that's a fusion of House and Garage?

I think it's called Shed.

Cheers,
    Doug