I found a little bat...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razorclaw, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

As the title says, today I found a little bat. Found it lying on a concrete floor beside a building in my neighborhood. It was totaly still, just breathing. I took it home with me, and now it's in a shoe box with a piece of wood on which it hangs. It changed positions in the box before I put that piece of wood.

I don't know what to do with him. I don't know what it's species eat, if they drink watter... He's about 4.5cm-5cm long. Looks like these here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Pipistrelle , so I suppose it's adult. Haven't flown at all since I took it in my hands and brought it home.

What should I do??
    Just don't say see animal care societies because they don't know sh*t here, they are just for dogs and cats.

2. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i'd say give it some bugs and water...

but then again , i'm not Batman.

3. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Do you have something like Animal Control? Or can you get to a wooded area where you can set him loose?

It doesn't sound like it's hurt or in bad shape, maybe just stunned from hitting something.

4. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Do you have any local wildlife animal control? I think there are places that deal with certain species instead of the common domesticated one. Or even try calling a zoo and asking them what you should do... I was helping with an event at my local zoo, and we found a crow that was really sick nearby, and they actually took it in.

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Feed it human blood

...yes human blood

:confused2 

(kidding btw, stick with bugs and water)

6. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    oops I should have read your whole post. post pics.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  7. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Well, I am! Learn its ways, imitate it, and go fight some homicidal clowns. :p 

I don't know what advice to give other than you already know. You went to Wikipedia which is what I would've done; I would think there'd be some info on there about what that species eats.

8. neek_buster

neek_buster The One Man Army

News Credits:
    You disturb it while it was breeding??

9. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

If anything, you should probaby give the bat the opportunity to go outside whenever it wants to, especially during night time. Is it making any noise? Heck, if you want to know if it's even still alive, you should probably provoke it a little by poking it with a stick or a straw.

EDIT: You should also probably check if it's made any droppings at all in the box if you've had it for more than 1 day.

10. trump

trump WWBD?

You might want to check your property for a little Ozzy Ozbourne.

11. Zarscream

Zarscream Well-Known Member

HEY!! maybe its ratbat!! :) 

> stuck with bugs and water, even warm milk <

12. Razorclaw

Where do you get living insects that fly??

There is a wooded area nearby a small park actually, but the branches are just too high to get to. Even with a ladder. I'm not too eager on leaving him on the ground, because cats frequent that area, as well as dogs (but much less than cats).

No, we don't have wildlife animal control anywhere near me, and the only zoo is in the capitol. I went to animal shop that sells all kinds of animals, and they said "do whatever you want".

Fixed!!

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I called a vet friend, and he said your only real option was to take it outside at night.

Without vet care, there's no way to figure out what (if anything) is wrong, much less treat it. Place the box so that the bat can get out if it wants to and leave it.

At least, that was his advice and it seems solid to me.

14. moocow

moocow God.

I don't know, ask Batman.

15. Razorclaw

It's somewhere around 0 degrees Celzius outside, right now. Wouldn't it be freezing for it? And would it hurt if I kept inside at least this night and then take him outside tomorrow evening?

16. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Razorclaw, i got grasshoppers around here. maybe feed it some??

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sorry, forgot about the time difference--it's late afternoon here.

Yeah, he told me that keeping it in for a night wouldn't hurt it, but the only way to help it would be to give it a chance to make it on its own, so I guess that means putting it outside close to nighttime tomorrow, before it gets real cold but after it's already getting dark.

18. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

http://www.batworld.org/found_a_bat/outdoors.html

Providing Temporary Care
    Line a box with an old t-shirt so the bat has something to hang upside-down on. Create some pleats in the shirt so the bat can hide if it wants to. (Make sure any tape that is used is secured well so the bat won't get stuck.) Put a small amount of water in a small, shallow container like a baby food jar lid. Place the lid on the bottom of the container and next to a wall so the bat can hang over it to drink. Make sure a top is secured to the box as some bats can squeeze through a crack as thin as 1/4"! If you must handle the bat please remember to wear thick gloves (even though rabies is rare in bats, if it bites you it will need to be tested). Keep the box in a room where the bat won't get too warm or too cold and away from children and pets until help is located.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Don't forget, he's from Serbia. Always gotta give props to posters here who communicate as well as Razorclaw does in a language that isn't their first.

20. Razorclaw

Damn, I got more helpful advices here, than on wildlife forums. What can I say, except :thumb  to all you guys for help, especially Deceptikitty and Squirellcar.