I found '08 Bumblebee!!!!!! (also: Rant about distribution of movie toys in Germany)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    After WEEKS of searching, I FINALLY found a store that had TWO '08 Bumblebees. Mind you, that's not because all the other stores sold out of them so fast. Most stores never got him in because their pegs are STILL full of five million Swindles and Bonecrushers. ARGH.

Seriously. In Germany, wave 1 of the Delxues consisted of 2x Bumblebee, 2x Barricade, 1x Jazz, 1x Scorponok, 1x Brawl and 1x Wreckage. That wave warmed pegs for about a month because the movie was delayed for a month over here. As soon as the movie launched in German theaters, the wave was nowhere to be found anymore (I only managed to get a lone remaining Jazz), and I was lucky that some stores miraculously got in another shipment of a wave 1 case about a month ago.

Wave 2 consists of Swindle and Bonecrusher. Seriously. 4x Swindle, 4x Bonecrusher. NO wave 1 carry-overs, because apparently German stores are fearing that shelfwarming toys would be included again in the following shipment. So instead, they get stuck with multiples of a minor movie Decepticon and a game drone. THANK YOU HASBRO.

Add to that the fact that wave 1 only shipped for about a month, whereas wave 2 was still shipping three months later. So even the stores that somehow managed to get rid of the hordes of Swindles and Bonecrusher and ordered a new shipment of Delxues, hoping to finally get other toys in, got stuck with EVEN MORE SWINDLES AND BONECRUSHERS. ARGH. Anyone still looking for either toy please PM me so I can help the stores getting rid of all those annoying Deluxes. I could show you a photo of a TRU shelf that still holds about 24 Swindles and Bonecrushers each. TODAY. And they already offer them for a discount price and STILL don't sell them. HAAAARRRRRGH.

Now, about a month ago, the "Evolution of a Hero" Bumblebee two-pack was spotted in Germany. I personally saw that one in two different stores thus far.

A week or so after the initial sighting of the two-pack, the Bumblebee/Arcee/Dreadwing wave (consisting of 4x Bumblebee, 2x Arcee and 2x Dreadwing) was spotted. I was told of a single Dreadwing having been sighted in a store in the southern part of my city (which means the store had a case of wave 3 in at one point), and yesterday I FINALLY found a store in another city that still had two '08 Bumblebees and one Arcee.

Wave 4 consisting of Longarm and Final Battle Jazz has apparently been sighted a week or two ago (case breakdown is 4x Longarm, 4x FB Jazz). Soon followed by wave 5, consisting of Dropkick, Payload and Recon Barricade (4x Payload, 2x Dropkick, 2x Recon Barricade). The latter wave I actually found at two stores from a store chain around where I live (I was originally called by a friend who works for them and who put a Dropkick and a Payload aside for me), and from what I could see, they sold out within DAYS.

So what gives? Why does Hasbro Germany think that shipping hundreds of cases containing nothing but Swindles and Bonecrushers would NOT result in killing the line? Sure, it's the stores that order the toys, and if the stores don't bother to inform themselves which toys are contained in which wave, it's their fault to some degree.

But then, an employee of the store where I found '08 Bumblebee agreed with me that the case breakdown is "retarded". Wave 1 contains a fair mix, then wave 2 contains multiples of the same two unpopular toys. Seriously. My advice to Hasbro's European division: Either adopt the American model (subsequent waves containing carry-overs from the previous waves), or use a "less distinct waves, more variation within a wave" system. As in, wave 2 and 3 toys are shipped as wave 2, and wave 4 and 5 toys are shipped as wave 3. ANYTHING that results in less monotony on the shelves would help a lot - both in avoiding pegwarmers and making popular toys more widely abailable.

Voyagers... well, the Blackout/Ratchet wave and the Prime/Megatron wave are still fairly easy to find (plus, TRU has that nifty exclusive Blackout/Scorponok pack), and Rescue Ratchet and Thundercracker have also started to pop up... But Ironhide and Starscream I really needed a lot of luck to find. I think I only ever saw them at two stores, both from the same Dutch chain that gets its supplies from the Netherlands rather than from Hasbro Germany.

So, for me, I actually managed to find 2/3 of the movie toys I want by now. My interests are Legends, Real Gear Robots, Deluxes, Voyagers and Leaders (no Ultimate Bumblebee for me), and since I'm only interested in new molds (the only exceptions are Final Battle Jazz, who I'm primarily looking for because of the new gun, and the necessary pack-ins from the upcoming Legends two-packs), that brings my still-to-get list down to:

High priority:
    Leader Optimus Prime, Deluxe Final Battle Jazz

The rest:
    Leader Brawl, Leader Megatron
    Voyager Incinerator
    Deluxe Arcee, Deluxe Protoform Optimus Prime, Deluxe Dreadwing, Deluxe Longarm, Deluxe Landmine, Deluxe Stockade
    Legends Bonecrusher vs. Autobot Jazz, Deluxe Brawl vs. Rescue Ratchet, Legends Ironhide vs. Desert Blackout

I've been meaning to buy Leader Prime for months, but kept finding Deluxes I was still missing and feared never finding again, so I had to get those first.

/rant over

2. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Congrats! It's a nice fig, isn't it?

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, count your blessings - at least you saw him! LOL! I never saw him at retail level...not only was distribution spotty but he was massively scalped! Bah!

4. Nevermore

News Credits:
    I actually have mixed feelings about the toy. The legs are better than on '77 Bumblebee, I really like the gun and he's better (although not 100%) in scale with Jazz and Barricade; but then, '77 Bumblebee had a better solution for the chest transformation, and the arms were also done better.

Still, just glad that I got him.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    lol at nevermore's fan rant

you need to suck it up man, its not making your internet batman personae looking good.

6. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Hey you're not having it bad.

Drive north at see a pathetic sight. ! We had the same wave 1 figures as you with the same degree of distrubution - however we did NOT get Prototype Starscream and Optimus Prime. Also we had no versus pack either.
    Then suddenly they all got thrown out to let tons of Swindles and Bonecrusher fill the pegs, while voyager Megatron and Optimus Prime very slowly came available (and gone again).
    Only about 3weeks ago we got BB 08, Arcee and Dreadwing + voyager Thundercracker and Rescue-Ratchet. But they are still in so tiny bunches that Swindles and Bonecrushers are drowning them.
    The "Evolution of a Hero" set we don't have and won't probably get either, the next wave of dropkick, longarm, recon barricade etc, we won't see before after new year I guarantee.
    The next wave again with landmine, incinerator etc I bet we don't get at all because then Animated toys will fill up instead.
    So what we get in our stores is totally up to Hasbro Nordic or the other toy distributor Top-Toys.

Our selection of available TF stinks !.

7. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same case assortments as the UK so far. Wave 1 just flew as it hit when the movie did, but we'd been drowning in Prototforms for months.

And yeah that Wave 2 case stinks like a stinky thing.

You'd have thought a bit of common sense would have got that wave 1 case swamping the shelves again by now seeing as it contains mostly movie characters *and* christmas is coming up *and* the DVD is out Monday. But no. My local ASDA is drowning in FBJazz and Longarm like they were in Wave 2 a month ago.

They had some Wave 3 in this week - lots of Arcee and Dreadwing on the shelves which meant all those 08BBs must have sold like hot cakes.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

This is like the king of all Bumblebee rants

Congrats!

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's funny - where I live, we drowned in Protoforms for a very long time, then the next wave I saw was Dreadwing, Arcee, and the occasional Bumblebee. Never saw wave 1 or wave 2, so if I had not picked them up while I was in the US, I'd have never got a lot of those guys.
    Never saw Starscream either - and I only ever saw the one Ironhide. Wave 3 was completely skipped, never saw Optimus or Megatron.

I really wish the case assortments used in the US could carry over for our market as well - they are not perfect, but situations where one toy sits on shelves so other waves never make it would at least be minimised, since you'd have a better variety and if a wave does get passed over at least there's still a chance of more later.

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I wish the stores around here would get rid of the Bumblebee's and other TF toys and make room for 25th Joes. :( 

11. omega ranger

omega ranger Well-Known Member

Happened to me too, so I bought the Evolution of a Hero set. Dreadwing was snagged before that, and recently I got Arcee. So Wave 3 is finished.

Other deluxes I'm getting soon:

Final Battle Jazz: Saw him at Wal-Mart, then when I got Arcee, I saw more of him.
    Payload: A common sight. Wal-Mart, Target, TRU, Kohl's, seems pretty common around here.
    Recon Barricade: He eludes me! I haven't seen him, ever. So if I see him, I will probably get him ahead of the others.

Longarm, I am getting in the Screen Battles set and thankfully my grandparents got Dropkick.

12. Nevermore

News Credits:
    So, got Dreadwing.

Unsurprisingly, his robot mode sucks. Just who designed that? Rob Liefeld? The lower half of the body is about 1/2 the scale of the rest of the body. GRAAAAAH.

Unfortunately, Arcee was sold out (and Dreadwing was grossly overpriced by that store, but it was the only one I've ever seen in person), I'll try to check the store where I got Bumblebee last week, maybe they still have an Arcee left.

Planning to get Leader Prime in a few weeks, and Leader Brawl after X-mas.

And my friend who works at retail and gave me the tip that led to me getting Payload and Dropkick a few weeks ago just called - his store got ANOTHER SHIPMENT OF SWINDLE AND BONECRUSHER.

Just how many of those blasted things did Hasbro produce?!?

13. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Something like this ?
    [​IMG]
    :D :D 

Nah I like Dreadwing dispite his flaws, MiG 29A mode makes up for it all.

14. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Holy God, this made me lol like a lunatic