I Finally Watched Beast Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by lildevilchick, Mar 1, 2012.

1. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Just like the title says - I finally sat down and gave the series a try. With all the hype surrounding Beast Wars Megs for the HoF this year and me knowing nothing of why he is so popular, I figured it was time to find out.

I gotta say I really enjoyed the series. I went into it thinking I wouldn't like it at all since I never saw the appeal of beast alt modes, but I was proven wrong. By today's standards the CGI is nothing amazing, but the storytelling was handled very well. I found that there were only one or two characters I didn't care for while I really liked the rest, which is rare for me. Usually I only like a handful of characters, not nearly the entire cast. Dinobot is easily my favorite, though, and I cried when he died. D: Waspinator is a damn close second - I can see why both of these characters placed in the HoF in previous years.

So yeah, really glad I finally got in on a series so many other fans enjoy. Now I need to check out Animated.

2. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Lets see if you could like the toys now.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I think the toys are quite awesome, but like everything else, not for everyone. The transmetals are pretty, the flipformers are probably the best blend between collector & kid appeal that we've ever had, and above all else, the overall sense of life given by both modes (robot & alt, or in some rare cases 2 alt modes I guess) made the line as a whole so unique & worthwhile in itself.

4. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Glad you liked it. What characters didn't you like?

5. lildevilchick

There are a couple I want, if only for the fact that I like the characters. But considering the ones I want are 15 years old, they're not exactly super cheap.

Black Arachnia irritated me more often than not and Tarantulas really did nothing for me. But then, I have a serious dislike of spiders, so maybe that played into it. :lol 

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  6. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Which ones are you after? Like, some of em are pricy, but in general, BW stuff isn't an uber commodity, and lots of people will have a crapload to sell. There's also a bunch of different versions for the show characters, and if you're willing to look around, you can often find em cheaper than modern stuff because their supply & demand had been pretty consistent lately.

7. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Which characters are those?

I grew up with Beast Wars tv show and toys.

Infact I'm willing to tell you the story of my first Beast Wars toy.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Glad you like it! If only more people would give the series a chance. The toys are pretty great. Some even by today's standards. They're also a great example of trends and design techniques that became standardised and still used today.

9. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    @ Lazerwave: Doooo it :) 

10. lildevilchick

At this point in time I only want Rattrap and Dinobot. From what little searching I did on eBay it seems like the first version of those figures go for at least $30 if I want 'em complete.

I had friends who liked the show growing up, but I always thought it looked stupid. Boy was I missing out. :lol 

And sure, I'd like to hear your story. ^__^

11. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    I'd recommend most of the Transmetal toys as well (Cheetor, Primal, Megs, Terrorsaur)

12. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    The original Rattrap being 30 makes sense, but I know I've seen the original Dinobot for less, and I think he's the best version of him too. Now, I also like pretty much all of the Transmetals (Depth Charge, Tarantulas, Blackarachnia, Cheetor, Rattrap, Primal, & Terrorsaur to name a few), and I'm actually still trying to get those last 2. I just haven't jumped on it because the few people who're selling both either ignored my pms or had em promised to someone else, and I don't feel like paying international shipping twice when I've already got a bunch of shit coming in the mail.

Silverbolt's really nice too, and one of the things Ive always liked was that he was one of the characters that looked to really be modded after the toy, even down to his hinges & whatnot. Rampage & Megs I guess as well, but eh. It's really too bad that we don't have a great Rhinox mold, but hopefully that'll change someday.

13. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Well it started when I was 7 years old. I first found out about Beast Wars toys on tv. Then one day when I was at ToysRUs I saw the Beast Wars toys. They all looked cool but one caught my eye, Beast Wars Deluxe Dinobot. I asked for it from my mother but she said wait till your Birthday.

Everyday, I kept telling my parents and friends for my 8th Birthday I wanted Beast Wars Deluxe Dinobot. I even had an animal themed Birthday party (that sort of like a Beast Wars themed birthday).

Then the day came. While everyone was playing with the Pinata, I was staring at the Present happy and hoping to see a Deluxe Dinobot in the pile. The time came when I opened up all the present. I've opened ever single one, but none of them were Dinobot. The party still went on with my friend playing games, but I just sat in my room sad, I nearly cried. When the party was over, my mom asked why was I sad. I didn't want to tell her I'm upset about not getting what I wanted, so I told a lie.

The next day, my mom gave me some math sheets to work on, just then my mom's best friend came with 2 late Birthday present for me. After I finished my math sheets I got to open the presents. The first present was a small K'nex set, but the second present... It was Dinobot!

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hahahah, that's great. Well, kinda sad too, but at least ti ended well. Kid cries, mom gives him math homework. Kid finishes math homework, kid gets Dinobot! Also, did none of your friends try & find you or anything?

... he was my 1st BW dude, too. :) 

15. lildevilchick

I don't even like the beast mode of rattrap's toy all that much. The teeth make him look vicious when he was positively adorable in the show...which is the main reason I want him. :lol  And I want Dinobot because he's my favorite. I kinda want his Classics/Universe toy, but that seems hard to come by on eBay.

@Lazerwave: That's a nice story. I've had a few b-days where I was disappointed because I didn't get a toy I wanted but ended up getting it a little later. ^__^

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  16. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Nope

17. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, we can be like that when we're little. We just sit there playing with their shit while the birthday kid is in the bathroom crying. So nice.

Also, the TM Rattrap has the teeth, too. :) 

18. lildevilchick

:lol  So true.

I'm actually not super fond of his TM mode. I like the TM modes for the other characters, but like I said, I loved Rattrap's normal rat mode, so it was hard for me to see that go. :D 

19. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    After the Birthday party when my mom asked my what was wrong and I lied to her, she tried to cheer me up by making my favorite dinner and watching a movie I got for one of my Birthday presents.

20. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    @ lildevilchick: Well for me, I think I was lucky in that I liked all of the TM modes better than the season 1 forms, so I was mainly sad to see Scorponok & Terrorsaur get slagged when the changeover went down. We got Inferno, Quickstrike & of course Blackarachnia around that time, and those were much more developed characters anyway. It's a shame there weren't more episodes to do the same with Rampage, but oh well.

@Lazerwave: Can't forget Dinobot, heh. Do you still have his mask halves? I know I sure don't.