I finally understand people who hate animated

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by *Deathblade, Apr 1, 2008.

1. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

When people talk about how much they hate the TF animated show, I used to blow it off as people who just like to stay in their little G1 bubble, just surly bitter people that are resistant to change. When they said it looked like teen titans, I saw a passing resemblance, but not really.

I dont really love the art style, but its not that bad. All in all I really like the show.

This weekend however I saw something that seems like a visual abomination imo...the "Spectacular" spiderman show...I have watched two episodes so far, and I just cant get into it.

The characters seem waay too ballooney and I was trying to remember what show the animation models reminded me of...then it hit me... KIM POSSIBLE!!!

After that I could only see ron stoppable and the mole rat, and kp jumping out saying "whats the sitch!!!"

The storylines and dialogue so far arent too far from KP either....harry osbourne joining the football team?!!..wtf?!!

So far I can't find anything to like about it..the crappy opening theme, the "modernization" for today's kids, the overly exaggerated mugs of the petty thugs.....dr octopus looks ridiculous also...

This being said I am not some spiderman superfan that wants a recreation of the 90s show, or an act for act recreation of the comics..my liking can be described as casual at best...but i really cant find anything likable about that show..and it starts with the animation style. The toys also look terrible too imo...that venom makes baby jesus cry....

I just felt the need to say to people that dislike animated that I now understand...I always thought it was more about it not being G1 enough (even though to some it is) but I now see its possible to hate an animation style without having a personal bias.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I fully understand why people don't like it. What I don't understand is why they have to be so... bitter, for lack of a politer term, towards it.

I don't like most of G1. I make a point of that a lot. However, I don't go around putting down everyone that does.

Hating the series is fine, but hating the people who like it makes no sense.

3. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Or telling them that they're outright WRONG... or stating that something is absolute rubbish as if that opinion is a documented fact... Personally, I find speaking like that is rather offensive... basically saying that something you like is trash... ergo you like trash... ergo, your taste is apparently on trial.

I like the show. I think the animation is kinda cute, and the characters are all pretty cute and loveable (well, except Prime and Megatron, IMO, I feel like they're a little too... hmm... bland)... Bulkhead and Ratchet are definitely my favorites.

Buuuuuuuuut... Bulkhead's a lumbering moron with catch phrases and is a pretty cliche big dumb guy. Bumblebee is a pretty cliche "act first, think later" kinda kiddy character... I won't go into all of em. And the animation is, well, weird. So yeah, for anyone who doesn't like it, I totally understand. It's a radical change and hey, not everyone's going to like it.

But if you don't like it... please don't rain on the parade of those of us who do. :) 

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    QFT.

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In this topic, instead of mocking Prime's mouth we mock Peter's nose.

Seriously what's up with that nose? It looks so... odd.

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I caught that new Spidey show... saw the toys at the local Wally World too... and if you think Doc Ock looks off... you should see Venom... holy crap he's been ballooned up to three times his normal muscle mass! And THE TONGUE! IT'S FREAKIN' FREUDIAN!!!! Oh, and, just for the record... I would love a new Spider-Man show that was as well made as the 90's version... or at least on par with the Unlimited version where he had the 2099 suit.

As for peeps who don't like Animated, I've always understood it... I mean, there's shows that I just can't stand (particularly a lot of animes... just about anything by Rumiko Takahashi -SP?- comes to mind), but I don't go around bashing it every second I get and I can't stand people whom do (whether it's something I like or dislike). I mean, you can intelligently voice your opinion about why you dislike something without being rude about it or (my personal favorites) being like the guys whom just pop into a thread and post one liners like 'that sucks' or 'lame' or 'OMG teh SUXXORZ!'. But, yeah, someone who comes in and describes why they don't like a show with some intelligent thought put behind it... you can relate to and respect that even if you don't agree with it, because we've all got shows that we dislike.

7. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Being bitter wouldn't make a difference. Sometimes you can't always get what you want.

Hear hear!

8. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

you know thats really not a bad thing KP was awsome for me my sister even my dad but really i mean this in the best possible way: TF G1 was just a show not even a really good show for that matter i know i will be flamed millions of times but its the truth animated is not for old fans its for a younger generation of fans but its still not bad because its not G1 but whatever think what you want to think but i think its a good thing sorta

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The way I see it, there's nothing wrong with not liking Animated (or any other incarnation of TFs for that matter.). There's nothing wrong with saying you personally don't like Animated, and there's nothing wrong with explaining why you don't like Animated. When someone feels it necessary to berate those that do like it, or restate their dislike again and again in every available thread, related or not, that's crossing a line.

It's a fairly common theme in fandom, and many aspects of life in general. Some people out there have opinions so strong that they have difficulty understanding the possibility that someone else might have an opinion widely different from their own, so if their opinion is so different there must be something wrong with them. It's the old "You'd think the same way I do if you REALLY knew what was going on." thing, with a dose of "TRUE FAN!1" thrown in.

10. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Interesting.

I like Spectacular Spiderman.

Except for the theme. But sadly, I can't get the theme out of my head.

11. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    i have yet to see spectacular spider man i love animated and i just dont even listen to those who dont its there choice doesnt efect how i feel about it same way with the movie its my choice and its there choice....i could care less

12. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it as well.

13. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Not just TFA, anybody remember the old official movie message boards?

(Though I love that these boards are far less antagonistic than others (TFs, news, sport, film) I read, and the only one I've become a member of.)

We, who have gone with TFA and are thoroughly enjoying it, should always remember the points we are raising here. Namely, we shouldn't jump on people who dislike TFA, either.

I'm sure at some point a TFA nay-sayer has been corrected, insulted, or otherwise given a condescending and unpleasant response by a TFA fan in reply to a post that made anti-TFA points in a polite and understandable manner.

Understandably and thankfully, this behaviour is why politics ain't for discussion here.

I've got qualms with TFA, but it's made with such love...

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    what is this thing called objectivity?!!

15. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I know how you feel about Spiderman... I had the same thing with "teh batmanz!"

It isn't a BAD show... It just isn't Batman: TAS. And I can enjoy the stories but I in my own mind simply pretend they were in the batman: TAS universe. I personally like the stories and some of he villains, I simply hate Young ass Bruce Wayne compared to TAS bruce wayne.

Now the difference is... I simply don't like it. I don't get offended that others do, and I don't try to post horrid tirades why others should hate it too or make comments about "Only retarded morons who were dropped on their head as babies because their mothers were whores could possibly like "the Batman" or "Watching "The Batman" makes me want to vomit and crap at the same time because animation is not what I like"

And then when people discuss aspects they like of the show, a show I claim not to enjoy or watch and usually avoid, I don't feel the need to pop in and say "You know, this is dogshit and Batman: TAS was always superior... Look at Penguin, he is a karate expert? that is so lame, TAS Penguin with his machine guns was Balls to the wall!"

It just gets absurd where those conversations go when people are not able to simply let others enjoy the series they don't enjoy. I just change the channel when I don't like a show.

16. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth.

17. ponn01

ponn01 Black Lantern

I like Spectacular Spider-man. They are paying homage and sticking close to comic book history like Transformers Animated. I flipped when Aunt May came home in one episode and said she was over at the Watson's and wanted Peter to meet their niece. On top of that they are keeping with the theme of Peter just never catching a break and setting him up for even more heartbreaking moments with Eddie and Harry and Gwen.

18. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Haven't seen this new Spiderman, but hated Teen Titans and love Animated. I'm a G1 boy since 84 too yo!

19. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    I still dont understand why people dont like it. I really dont care, as long as I like it no one elses opinion matters to me, as long as I enjoy it. Im happy. As for the KP thing I dont think so, the animation is typical modern american animation. Kim Poseable dont se any resemblence at all. As for the chins, stop beating the horse, its not funny never is funny and is quite annoying. I like the cins makes it look more american escq.

20. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

uhh..what exactly are you talking about? I never specifically mentioned chins...If you are referring to my dislike of the overly exaggerated mugs to emphasize "dumb bad guy"...I dont care for it, and by mug I am referring to forehead/brow anyways, not chin..I expressed my opinion, and it was wasnt said to be funny, hope that clears that up, and if you are still annoyed by my opinion, oh well, not much I can do about that.