I finally did it!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lumpy, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i've been one of those guys who holds onto all the packaging for years...but this weekend, while in denver, i found sideswipe, ironhide, silverstreak and blackarachnia and after opening them (by tearing them open, instead of carefully cutting them out with a razorblade) i threw the cards and plastic bubbles away...

it felt so freeing...

now i just need to go back through the boxes of toy boxes i have, and throw most of those away too...or better yet, try to recycle them...but, i feel this has been a big step...now i'm only keeping the instructions, with exception of any boxes that are japanese, or g1...and maybe a few that have cool artwork...
    but mostly they're all going away...

2. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I used to save quite a bit of packaging.

Things like Brave Max's box, the TFC reissue boxes, interesting packaging like Universe RiD Prime...Then I had to make a pretty big move across the country.

It all went.

I even dismantled the TFC boxes and kept the inserts. It was a relief not to have to relegate space to junk cardboard.

Now the only boxes I keep are the BotCon hard boxes and the MP boxes.

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

congrats on cleaning out the junk. i dont understand much of the whole keep the box thing. i also only keep japanese boxes

4. roykop

roykop Cassetticon

News Credits:
    Why just the japanese boxes out of curiosity?

I'm not sure why I keep the card backs myself, picked up that habit from my roomate. But I'd imagine if I was only going to keep a few of mine, I'd keep the ones I could read :D 

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I usually save the instructions and cut out part of the box or card for the regular stuff and throw the rest away (Movie, TFA, Universe). Only time I'll save the box/card is if it's a special reissue, import, or higher grade line (MP, Revoltech, Alternator/Binaltech). It's a shame how much cardboard gets wasted as a result.

6. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i save japanese boxes because the figures are usually displayed nicely, and dont need to be twist tied back in...i do keep america exclusive boxes too...i'll be keeping nemesis prime, classics prime and classics megatrons boxes, even though i sold my megatron and bought henkei megatron...and there's probably a few other boxes, like unicron and primus who i might keep...

7. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I used to be like that too, not only with transformers but with model kits as well.

Nowadays I only keep MP packaging, the henkei packaging [only missing 2-3 figures so far besides the exclusives] and whatever Binaltechs I still have.

Of course, it'd be a true sin to throw away any of the Hot Toys packaging I have.

And I flatten smaller Gundam boxes on the biggest ones to save tremendous amounts of space.

8. scarnivac

scarnivac Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    't is funny, this weekend I threw away all my gundam model boxes, even some TF boxes.
    the ones I took back home are big ones, like Energon & Armada prime's, Energon Megatron's etc.

9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need to do this as well, running out of space. I will keep the MP, Statue/Busts boxes, Binaltech, & Reissues. Trash Classics, Titanium, Universe, Possible Henkei.

10. Satomiblood

I think Titanium boxes are worth keeping, as well as Henkei. Do you have a box for Titanium Fallen? I will pay you $0 for it.

11. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes I have the fallen box, come over and get it for $0 before I toss it out.

12. Lumpy

News Credits:
    the only box i might try to actually sell is energon ultra magnus, cuz i'm sure someone might want that box...

13. Satomiblood

Just throw it into the sky really hard. It'll land in PA. I promise.

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tend to throw away plastic bubbles, but keep the cardback (they don't take up that much space). With boxed TFs, I'll keep the whole thing, and I've kept the whole thing with Henkei so far.

On a related note though, I recycled all my Star Wars cardbacks and various other toylines. Felt good (even though they were just up in the loft not really taking up "valuable" space... it still felt good to declutter!)

15. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    that's what I do, there's just too much packaging to keep it all. :) 

16. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    i dont save any packaging, i dont care what country its from, i keep the instructions and toss everything else

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I keep the boxes because I rebox my stuff for storage once I need to make new display room. I suppose I could bin the blistercards though as obviously they're not really going to get resealed and the Euro cards have no decent techspecs or artwork on them either. I remember the good old days when blistercards were a feast for the eyes.
    They really don't take up much room though so I'd not gain much by binning them.

18. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Or I could take it to work and kick it outside I work close to the PA border.

19. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, it's just because I find them more interesting. The American stuff I'm used to seeing, so, while it's not exactly 'rare', compared to American boxes, they are more rare to see in the US. Given my personality, I can only assume that if I was born in Japan, that I'd save American boxes too hehe.

And Lumpy, I'm getting to where I wish I could be you. I keep way too much packaging. I break it all down, and toss the clear plastic bubbles and inserts and such, but even with that I'm on my fourth tub of packaging. I don't think I'd ever part with instructions, and I'd like to keep 1 of each catalog for fun, but I'm not 100% sure why I keep flattened boxes and cardbacks. I like the art on some, but it's not like I look at it or use it for display.

Part of the reason was for if I ever wanted to or needed to resell it (not that I have any intention of doing it), it'd help the value. But seriously - for 99% of the toys made in the past...what, 15 years, loose complete versus mib complete, doesn't really make a difference.

I should start somewhere easier - like tossing the voyager-size and up cardboard backings that are inside the boxes.

Odd thing - I have no problem selling American G1 boxes. I think that's because I wouldn't ever break those down, and I know I just don't have the room for them. I'd like to keep them when I get them, but I'm doing extremely well right now to be able to display my entire collection (around 800 or so probably). And I wouldn't put them in the box, because I have to be able to fiddle with them when I want.

The only boxes I haven't broken down are MP, TFC, and Titanium. I don't know why I didn't break them down.

20. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great thread Lumpy, maybe i should do the same thing to my TF movi, TFU packagings...