I finally decided... I'm getting a Wii this weekend!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by My03Tundra, Jan 10, 2007.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I have been researching and looking around online for quite awhile now (well, since both have been out at retail) and trying to decide between the Wii and the PS3. To me, both have the potential of being AWESOME systems and just to put it out there I'm a BIG Nintendo fan. I like Sony, but I've had some BAD luck with some of their portable electronics.

Upon even more research I've thankfully discovered that most Wii games don't require the wild and crazy moves like Wii Sports does, and for the games that do there are some "cheats" to get around those moves. This is a plus in my book, as is the Wiimote. I have some nerve damage in my left arm that affects certain moves and gestures. The only limiting factor (and this is true of ANY system launch) is the lack of games. My only concern about the Wii is with the developer support of the controller. Although the consumers LOVE it, it requires developers to develop a Wii specific scheme for a possible multi-platform game. I can see the potential for many developers saying "forget it, we'll just go to XBox 360 and PS3."

I also have a DS, AND a DS Lite and from what I've read and heard Nintendo is potentially thinking about doing more with that connection then just using the DS as a controller or as a demo player. The only limitation the DS has is the lack of an additional storage medium like the PSP's MSDuo cards for storage. If you load a demo of a game, once powered off, you lose it. With the PSP, and the PS3 (once, if ever, it is available) you can download games to the PSP and store them on the MSDuo with enough space available (some games may take up to 300MB). Right now the PSP and PS3 connection is good as a remote control of the PS3, access to internet by using PS3 as a wireless access point, and for getting PSP formatted content from the Playstation Store. But, at least the PSP and PS3 have something going on already. Limited, but it is there and has good room for growth.

What made me decide on the Wii mainly wasn't the $350 price difference (even though it is a BIG issue), it is Nintendo's commitment to the success of the Wii. They have taken a significant risk with the truly innovative controller, and as such are bringing gamers into the games even more. Sony added motion sensing controls to the PS3 at the last minute, and because of the internal accelerometers, lost vibration in the controller. Nintendo designed the controller from the ground up and have kept not only vibration, but has added sound for an even more immersive gameplay experience.

I'm not trying to bash the PS3, or the Wii, I feel that both systems have something valuable to offer to gamers. The PS3, like Sony's PSP, is likely going to be aimed and marketed at the 17 to 30 or so market where the PS2 has sold VERY well. The PS2 is the best selling home console system to-date, and rightfully so. I got one for Christmas, and it rocks. I love coming home and playing my new games. I just wish the PSP and PS2 "talked" to each other like the PS3 and PSP do.

On the other hand, look at Nintendo and the Gameboy series of systems. Combined in all of its iterations (not including the subpar Micro) it has sold over 100 million systems worldwide and that was as of a year ago. The DS alone, which has been out since late 2004, early 2005, is rapidly approaching 18 million units SOLD. To top it off, Nintendo marketed it mainly to the 16 and under crowd. Nintendo knows games, and how to make a good selling system with notable exceptions being the Virtual Boy and a few others that will remain nameless (*cough* Gamecube *cough*). The are commited to games, and nothing more. They have the innovative spirit that could bring more people, namely non-gamers, into games in many ways. Just imagine a fencing simulator for the Wii, or other non-game type games.

I just wish they realized that some people want a more all-inclusive system that really did everything, and had the Nintendo name and quality record with it. I'd buy it, and because of the all-inclusive (albeit expensive) nature of the PS3 I'll probably get one if we see a price drop for the 60GB version this year.

2. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Cool! I've had a Wii since day one, and it's been great! Also, despite the people you see online going crazy as they play Wii Sports, you will find that it's actually much more tame than that. While people flail madly during tennis, I have found identical results from simple wrist twitches.

Also, remember that the Wii is fully compatible with the Gamecube controllers, and some Wii games like SSB:Brawl will use the GC controllers exclusively, so third party support won't be an issue either.

3. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Congratulations. I've also had my Wii since launch day, it's truely the next step in innovative games. Once you get a bunch of friends together with Wii Sports or Rayman it'll be priceless.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Awesome! Now good luck finding one.

5. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Yes, thanks for reminding me. I heard that some stores will get a small restocking of Wii systems this weekend when some people (not I, sadly) will be having a three day weekend.

I might have to break-down and get a PS3... ;-)

I'd rather have a Wii though. It is an awesome system and I can't wait! My plan is to trade in my Gamecube with some of my games and accessories (I'm NOT parting with my beloved Wavebird controller) for the Wii.

6. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

You may have decided that you want one, but it's far from deciding if you actually GET one. I've been chasing the damned thing since release date and still can't find one.

7. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Good luck finding one. I wanted one too but I never found one so I bought a 360 instead. I'm still looking to get a wii but its still imposible to find around here.

8. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah Im in the same boat! :( 

Ive been to 4 different stores at 2-3 am waiting in line for that damn thing, with no luck. I did just get a DS lite though!

9. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

Yes, good luck finding one indeed. The latest shipment of Wii that were suppose to go out a few weeks ago were recalled for the strap breaking problem. It's hard saying when they are to arrive here in stores. My local Best Buy stated they probably wouldn't have any in stock until Feb! I see plenty of PS3 around though!

ViperDragon

10. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Thoughtful, intelligent purchase decisions have no place in a gaming forum.

But you're right. Both have a lot to offer gamers, but for many the price differential will be the deal breaker.

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good luck to you in finding one, I hope you are able to secure one without too much hassle!

12. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

I, too, want a Wii this weekend... and last weekend, and the weekend before that, and the weekend before that...

My girlfriend was going to buy me one for Christmas, but no one has any. Not a single retailer in Dallas/Ft Worth or Houston has any. No shipments are even expected, according to all the Gamestops/Wal Marts/Best Buys, etc.

Good luck.

13. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    I ordered one earlier this week (Wednesday) and had to pay a bit over retail to get it, but I can't wait. I opted for the Wii over the PS3 mainly because of cost, and that I feel even with BluRay the PS3 is VERY overpriced. I was at EBGames today trading games and buying some stuff, and I asked. All of the local shops in Tucson are sold out of Wii, while most of them have some PS3s in stock.

Of all items to get today, my game pack for my Wii came in with an extra Wiimote, Nunchuk, Classics controller, and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I haven't opened anything as I don't have the Wii console itself! I plan on getting only a few SELECT Virtual Console games and using the Wii's web browser (via WiFi initially, until the USB LAN adapter is released) for some simple web browsing. I want the USB LAN adapter so I can eventually get all of my consoles connected to the same wireless access point that goes to my router. That includes my PS2, with my Wii.

I may eventually get the PS3, but from the way it looks, it will take awhile for games and other items to become available for it (and to be affordable). It doesn't help matters when PS3 games are $60 to $70 on top of a currently $600 system.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Good choice. Although I can't say that the sound in the controller really is a big issue. Sure it's a cool idea and it's there at least but the speaker sucks. In Zelda it got annoying to I turned off the controller sounds.

But congrats dude, I've had my Wii since launch and I love it. Can't wait for new games to come out (Super Smash Brawl...).

Don't rag on the Cube man, it's got it's great games. Super Smash Melee (which I still play since it's been out for 5 years), Zelda, Metroid, Tales of Symphonia, Res Evil 4, Baten Kaitos, Mario Kart, Prince of Persia (it's on all systems, so what)... I could go on but I'll stop. :p 

15. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    how do you turn the speaker on the remote off, i stopped playing zelda cos it annoyed me so much

16. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Hit the home button and you'll find controller settings there.

17. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Hey, how's the Wiimote's battery life? I heard it is okay, and NOT as good as the Wavebird controller.

18. Frozen_Primal

Frozen_Primal ???????????????????????

That's the biggest problem of the WII for me. Normal batteries last 20-30h. Rechargeable, about 10-15h of play or so. Could be a bit longer. It's nothing compared to the Wavebird.