I Finally Completed Animated!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Auto Morph, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

So yesterday a parcel arrives from a friend of mine on these boards (you know who you are :bowdown: ) and one of the many contents was MOSC Animated Cybertron Mode Ratchet. Nothing too exciting about that you might think, but for me it represents a milestone in my collection. I finally have completed an entire Transformers toyline.

I now own every single Hasbro released Animated figure (plus Takara Blackout). :rock 

When I started collecting many years ago, I liked to think of myself as a completist. I tried to go after each and every figure from the lines I collected, which were G1, 07 Movie, ROTF, Classics etc, Animated and most recently Beast Wars.
    A few years in and I came to the realisation that this is approach (for me anyway) is complete and utter folly. The cost and effort and time involved in being a completist is exhausting and ultimately demoralising.

Since then I have changed my approach to collecting, the details of which I won't bore you with now... but I wanted to hear other people's thoughts on being a completist or if you have ever managed to tick off every last figure in particular line?

Was it worth it, have you tried and failed? Do repaints put you off being a completist? If you have completed a line I would love to hear your stories. Why did you want to do it in the first place, was it by design or chance?

What does everyone think?

2. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    You're not done until you have Hydrodrive Bumblebee and Wingblade Prime. :p 

Congrats though, Animated is the only line I've ever even come close to completing. I'm not by any means a completist, I wont buy toys just to complete a line. But 90% of Animated appealed greatly to me so I bought almost all of them. Still my favorite line by far.

3. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have every CON, including voy thundercracker, i had almost all takara cons as well and was getting out of hand so i sold them off except blackout, though i have the american version as well, and kept takara shockwave, soundwave and soundwave electrostatic takara version.

congrats though!

4. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you even have the Bumper Battlers? :p 

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I have every Animated figure as well, except for Hydro Bee. He looks like shit, so I won't get him. I collect the rest because they look damn good.

6. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

I dude really cool! I loved animated but didn't get to watch it until the toyline was gone. So I only have 5 figs. :(  But still cool!

7. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

I think the majority of the toys are crap, ROTF, RTS, ETC so I don't buy any of those. I just buy what I like and leave the rest for completists.

8. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Congratulations! Animated was the only line that even tempted me to go completionist. I managed to resist a few that I wasn't that keen on, but lately I've really been wanting to pick up the moulds I passed on.

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm sorely tempted by Wingblade Prime, but the gold on Hydrodive Bumblebee looks horrific IMO. Totally ruins the figure for me. Thank god he's Takara and not Hasbro otherwise I would have had to buy him anyway! :( 

Don't do this to me man! :p 

I've only got the deluxes, voyagers, leaders and one supreme. Now you've got me thinking, is it actually complete without the Bumper Battlers, Activators and Legends..?

10. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have most of Animated, but not all. The only one I really wanted was Arcee.

My local TRU never had it and trying to get one from EBay is too expensive.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I only have Arcee...

12. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:

Nope, because Cliffjumper and Dirge were only available as Activators.

Not helping, am I? :D 

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I do have Cliffjumper!

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Nice work, man! You should get some pics up. :) 
    I've only ever gone completist on one line, and that was Beast Machines. It was a small enough line that I figured I might have a shot at completing it. Distribution in the UK was, predictably, apalling, but a holiday to the US in 2000 resulted in me coming home with every figure I could find. That left a fair few yet to find, but it was a DAMN good start.
    It took me quite a while; the Deployer redecos were a lucky find at Botcon 05 (Vector Sigma found all 3 in the dealer room and ran around until he found me), and Magmatron was a sod to find on eBay UK.
    However I now own every single toy ever released in Beast Machines packaging along with redecos and major packaging variants. I''ve heard stories of a packaging variant for Thrust with his exhaust pipes facing forwards, but until someone provides me with proof, I'm happy to say that I have completed the entire line. :) 

15. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    I didn't get every single figure from the Animated line so I cannot consider myself a completionist in Animated. But with Electrostatic Soundwave coming in from HLJ soon, I will have all the TF figures that I'd like to have in my Animated collection.

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go get Wingblade Prime!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. muffinhunter

muffinhunter Well-Known Member

Animated was my favorite line. I basically bought all the main deluxes, voyagers, and leaders. I'm working on getting a Blackout and am thinking about getting voyager Bulkhead even though I already have the leader one. I just want there to be more. :) 

18. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Congrats. Animated is a great line to complete. I'm only missing a few figures myself.

19. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice, i think i have close to the same as you except same character repaints, still need a few activators eventually, bulkhead, megatron, prime, and the two grimlocks (since one is different enough to be repurposed)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    You also need Activator Ramjet. :D 

But yeah congrats on having all the Hasbro figures, it is a nice milestone (not one I wished to do personally though).