I Fell For The Sale

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by videriant, Apr 21, 2011.

1. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/395058-i-fell-hype-8.html thread got me thinking.

What toys have you passed up on, then ended up buying because of a sale and regret it? The only non-movie toy that immediately jumps to my mind are crossovers. The Ironman War Machine repaint I bought for 75% off for $4 and part of me still thinks that's it? Got several other crossovers for 50% off and I still can't decide if I like them or not.

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Last year HTS had a clearance sale, and at the same time they had a "free shipping if your order is still over $50 after the sale price is applied," so I tossed in a bunch of figures I didn't necessarily care about just to get the free shipping. I bought Universe Dinobot, Animated Blackarachnia, HFTD Axor, ROTF Armorhide, Depthcharge, Swerve, and Dead End (the scout, not the deluxe).

Axor and Blackarachnia were the main ones I went in for (Axor because I already loved the Lockdown mold and appreciated the Actionmaster homage, Blackarachnia was a figure I'd been waffling on buying for a while), and Dinobot wasn't a figure I was hugely interested in, but I heard he had some cool features and I did want the character on my shelf.

The rest were impulse buys, though they were guys I more or less wanted. Armorhide, I'd heard such great things about Movie Landmine's articulation, Swerve, I thought the Sideswipe mold looked somewhat cool and I had a collection of Swerves going. Dead End I already owned as the Wal-mart exclusive Slap Dash, but I liked the original's colors and character.

So, the end result: Blackarachnia looks cool, but her poseability's range of motion was less than I was hoping. Same with Dinobot, really. Axor was still a good mold, but I knew I didn't like him as much as Lockdown from the get go. Plus, I was going to swap his engine with Lockdown's, but despite being the same mold, the engine was kinda loose in Lockdown's arm so that didn't work well.

Armorhide mostly lived up to expectations, but his feet are hard to balance. Still, he found a good spot on my shelf with Tomahawk and Fallback (and they'll be joined by DOTM Skyhammer, Sandstorm, and Whirl soon).

Swerve was really disappointing. Yes, the car looks nice and the character design is cool, but the car doesn't work as well in red as it does in silver, the head mold isn't as appealing as Sideswipe's, he's really hard to balance, and his arm articulation is pretty lousy (a trait he shares with fellow blade-armed guy, Movie Wreckage).

I thought I would like Depthcharge's "battle mode" with the boat hull feet, but that ended up being lame and I put him back in his normal bot mode, which is decent, but nothing special. One of the least impressive of the ROTF Scouts (many of which were amazing). Dead End, as a mold I already owned, lived up to expectations and had cooler colors than the Wheelie-colored one I already had. I quite like him.

So yeah, big sale ended up getting me a bunch of figures that ranged in mediocrity. Despite their flaws, though, all 7 of them are still on my display shelves rather than condemned to the storage bin.

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Movie Payload for $2. Bleh.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Animated Starscream using one of those McDonalds coupons they had in the happy meals at the time. I got it for $15, I would have felt ripped off even if I had it given to me for free.

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    oops, I misread the question. Anyways, for me it was things like TFTM and ROTF figures.

6. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Supreme Cheetor. I think the "sale" price was $30.

7. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Ehh cant say i have regretted any figures i bought simply because they were on sale. I had plenty that i was thrilled to get on sale. Mostly animated figures still lingering around on clearance.

8. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    like ROTF Payload? I think he looks really cool... but where'd you get a price like that? I'd buy him for that much.

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Universe Powerglide and RotF Leader Megatron are both certainly in this category for me.

10. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Nah, this guy. Apparently the local Walmart distribution center found a few after Christmas a few years ago and shipped them out to the stores. I thought he would be worth it...

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    You don't like Commander Boat Shoes? What kind of monster are you!?

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Late 2009 I bought RotF Leader Prime for $35. Seemed like a good deal, but honestly, I regret buying the figure at all. It's just too complex to have any fun with. Now I've got a Voyager Defender Prime as my "movie-verse Prime", and a Leader figure collecting dust till I find someone who wants to buy it off me.

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    That's just it, I thought I would like it more than the normal mode, which is why I decided to include him in my "get to $50 pile" instead of, say, Animated Sentinel Prime or something. But actually seeing it, it was too wobbly and took away what little articulation he had.

14. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Ultimate BB from movie 1. Got him for $25 and I still regret it.

15. ZacharyBinx

ZacharyBinx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    TRU had by 2 get one free (I think was the deal). Anyway, I bought the first wave of PCC 2-pack commanders on a whim, since there was nothing else there I wanted.

I only really liked Smolder, and even then I don't mess with him.

Also, Bombshock when PCC 5-packs were $15 during Christmas. Not really impressed at all.

16. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

Buy One, Get Two Free Fast Action Battlers at TRU! :lol 
    I have no idea why I did this.

17. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    :eek: 

I fell for that sale. But the price was only $5.00 for him. You have my condolences. I feel miserable for have to wasted $5.00. I can't imagine the utter agony for spending $30. :( 

18. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    oh yeah... i sold that guy off a few months ago... he was just okay.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    ROTF Leader class Prime , wish i had just gotten the voyager and saved some cash instead of the frustrating thing.

20. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hear you on Payload. I think I bought him for $3 on the boards and had to take a loss to get rid of him. . .