I Fell For The Hype

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Waverider, Apr 20, 2011.

1. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Sometimes I get a figure and think it's not all it's cracked up to be online, but I've never bought a figure I had little to no interest in simply because everyone else said it was cool.

2. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    This for me as well. I really can't say that I have been influenced by anyone elses opinions. If I like it I get it.

3. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    The only Transformers I regret out of 20 years of collecting are bayformers. Some are good (eg Buster Prime is great) but about 3/4 I will probably never look at again.

As for those who mentioned Predaking, I love that figure. The 2010 gold version is permanently on display here and one of these days I will get the upgrades.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Acquiring a TF in Chile is a bigger investment, so I tend to think long and hard (insert erector joke lol) and get a lot of reviews before buying one. So I end up liking most of my purchases. Still, there are some that I think I could have lived without, but I can't really say I ended up disliking any of my TFs.

Perhaps the closest was Universe Powerglide (white version). I kind of impulse-bought him because he was the last in any store I visited (was looking for onslaught which I acquired much much later) and after fiddling with him a while, I kind regretted getting him. However, he started slowly growing on me and I like him a lot now.

5. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

The only one I regret is animated rodimus. Man I was so hyped for this guy and then I got him and was like "This is It?" he is just crap.

6. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

CHMS Seekers! Biggest waste of money and time, I wish I never got involved.

7. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I would maybe say RotF Jolt. I was super hyped to get him, then when I took him out of the package, I was kind of like "Really? That's it?". Although, at least I've fiddled with him to the point where I have him transformed in a way I kind of like now.

I'd also say maybe Jetfire. I feel like that figure would've been a lot better if it didn't attach to Prime. But they definitely could've executed that better. Like, have the parts separate to combine, not just become a huge backpack.

8. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    breacher, what a giant pile of slag

though people hating on animated rodimus just don't make sense, that toy is perfection

9. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My wife got me the ice cream twins for xmas in 99. I'm glad the little man got a set as well, cos after openign his and checking em out, mine are still misp collecting dust. Drift on the other hand, I fucking just love the zen poses he can do balancing on one leg.

10. Mr.ToyFan

Mr.ToyFan Well-Known Member

I would have to say Drift, only because I went ape-shit trying to buy this figure early and did...$30 on Ebay! Then low and behold shelf warming a month later. The mold is good but I was expecting a little more form the press that was released.

11. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Overhyped toys I bought:

• Movie1 concept Camaro Bumblebee
    • Movie1 Longarm
    • Movie1 Barricade
    • Alternators Mirage
    • Universe Swerve
    • Animated Rodimus
    I have yet to get ROTF leader Prime or HFTD leader Starscream. I'd strongly consider both of them if Hasbro would consider repainting them as new characters...

12. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I dunno why everyone hates on movie BB and Barricade. After all this time, they're still two of my favorite figures.

As for OP and SS, in my opinion, they're both amazing figures. Prime is difficult to transform, but worth it for the movie accuracy.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    rotf prime didn't live up to the hype at all, glad he was 99 cents

14. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Most of my mediocrities are generally agreed to be mediocre, and if anything I got them against people's advice/prevailing opinion. At least usually on sale.

15. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    I will agree somewhat on ROTF Jetfire also being underwhelming in bot mode,but he is absolutely killer in plane mode minus the underbelly kibble.But what really sets him apart is his merge with Prime,to me this makes both Jetfire and Prime some of the best TF's ever.I get that some people here may say they suck being like that,but I say they are perfect together.Later all.

Also same goes for Drift,he may be limited in articulation but he sure makes up for it in sheer style in both modes.

16. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

Drift is the only one that comes to mind...I fell for the hype, and ended up thinking the figure was merely decent, if that. I'd be ok with that if I had some sort of attachment to the character, but I don't...at all. Any other majorly hyped figures that I own, I believe were worthy of it.

17. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me it's HA Sideswipe. I guess I fell for my own personal hype for the figure.

18. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Movie1 Concept Camaro Bee isn't that bad, though pretty much every Bumblebee toy since then has been an improvement in some way. He's got awkward shoulders and elbows, and the head sculpt is probably the weakest of the bunch. Plus I'm not crazy about the way his doors sit.

Barricade could use more paint apps (a problem somewhat rectified by the Premium version, which I don't have) and is hampered by the silly arm gimmick. His arms aren't bad (aside from the punching gimmick) though his shoulders are somewhat restricted by his wide chest. You can tuck the hood pieces under his neck piece if you manhandle the figure somewhat, but I don't think the figure is supposed to be able to do that. It certainly looks like it was designed to, but it doesn't really work on mine. His hands also get lost in the car pieces since everything is the same shade of black.

Barricade's legs have adequate articulation, but he can't really be put into any decent poses. His waist also doesn't peg together, and comes loose if you try to move his legs. I consider him subpar, though lots of others quite like him.

19. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Any WFC figures. I bought the first two when we were coming out of the drought, and picked up the other three, cause well, you gotta have em all. Although Soundwave and Megs are ok, the figures have never been on display, and will likely stay that way. At the same time, for the same reason I bought Drift. Don't like the figure at all and have no interest in the character.

Seems like of figures get overhyped when they are released. Everyone piles on like they are the greatest figure ever, but a year later, you never see them in anyone's collection display.

20. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    Erector.

I KID, I KID.

I guess maybe Drift, but he's not that bad.