I Fell For The Hype

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Waverider, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With all the Hype around Warpath and Windcharger, I bought into it. Part of it is understandable due to it's limited release.

Now what I'm interested in knowing is if anyone got sucked into any type of hype in TFs and was disappointed in what you got?

I have a few..

Generations Drift: I was looking forward on getting him, but the shoulders and it limited movement killed it for me.

ROTF Ice Cream Truck Skids/Mudflap: I like the concept of a ice cream truck TF, but I found the two scouts that it combines into very underwhelming.

G1 Predaking: I picked up the 2004 reissue a couple of years ago and it was fine and dandy for the 1st hour or two. Then I realize that it doesn't do much. There is some arm and leg movement, but thats about it. I always heard that Predaking was a brick, but I never took it seriously.

There are more but these comes into mind at the moment.

2. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totally agree with the twins ICT. If I think of any more I'll let ya know.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Predaking is the big one that comes to mind. I've sold him 2 times but for whatever reason, I brought the 2010 reissue

The first time, I needed money to help pay rent. Afterwards, I sold my replacement because the figure just wasn't cutting it for me anymore.

Now, Predaking is back inside his Packaging:banghead: 

4. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I've done this too.

generations straxus
    ROTF jetfire
    TF animated figures ...

5. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Animated Rodimus. I love Animated more than anything, but this guy just doesn't do it for me.

6. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have to just understand that Predaking is a killer figure when you look at the G1 era of toys. Articulation was NOT that line's strong suit. Predaking still stands as the only combiner that used standard sized figures (as opposed to the smaller scout equivalent) as its base members. Its a rather impressive figure when you remove the poseability issue. To each his own though.

I was really disappointed with Cybertron Megatron. I remember thinking how awesome that figure looked when first announced/released. Once I got it though, i was completely "meh" on it.

Also, while a great figure on its own merits, I was really disappointed that Thunderwing wasn't bumped up a size class.

7. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    movie toys. except primr, jetfire, ha line

8. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Just wondering, so do Windcharger and/or Warpath fail to live up to the hype?

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Shadow Scyther. I don't know if I would exactly say I "fell for the hype," but I was definitely quick to order him when he was announced. The hype swelled a bit after that, and I guess I got to feel smug about getting him for a little while. But in hand, he's pretty darn boring, and the new face sculpt is not appealing. Definitely not worth the price he was commanding for a while.

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Not at all, I only get what I really like when it comes to vehicle transformers. If I didnt find Warpath cool looking, I wouldnt even waste time looking for it.

11. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Probably concept bb. The figure is ok but definitely wasnt worth hitting every store trying to beat the scalper for one.

12. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Animated Arcee. Not at all a bad figure, but not quite living up to the hype, and definitely not worth premium/eBay prices of $20-$30+ that a lot of people were paying. (Dragstrip, however...)

Also, to an extent, RTS G2 Prime, though really because I broke mine less than a minute after transforming him for the first time...

13. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I totally agree, I waited sooooo long for him and when I actually got toy in hand I was so underwhelmed.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - MP Megatron - I hadn't initially planned on buying this, since it was a little out of my price range for a TF, but caved in because of how much it was being hyped and the stellar reviews it was getting in the feedback thread. Turned out to be a pain in the ass to transform (though not impossible), has several potential breakage points, some joints that are too loose, others that are too tight and was generally an annoyance. And that was just what I noticed immediately upon getting the figure out of the box. In the intervening few years, not only has the die-cast all tarnished, but the clip that keeps the waist attached has weakened to the point I can't adjust the figure at all without the waist separating...and this is a toy that I've only transformed once and only move when I need to dust my shelves.

On the plus side, it taught me to wait a little while for a lot of reviews to come in before buying MP figures. I held off on Rodimus and, sure enough, the reviews turned awful in short order.

So, it's a typical G1 figure, basically? Granted, maybe if Predaking wasn't so heavy that he tips forward or back at the hips in most poses, he might have some more flexibility in posing, but the potential articulation is comparable to most of the Scramble City combiners.

15. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TFCon Nightbird has been the big one for me. I know it might not have had much hoopla or fanfare, but I was really excited to get it, since the mold problems were "corrected" from the earlier TRNS releases. Hugely underwhelmed me.

Other than that, I'm trying to think if there's been a lot. Any of the movie Megatron toys, though I don't know if there was that much "hype" for them, there was for me personally, because I loved the thought of live action movie toys for Transformers, and just disappointed myself.

16. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I bought ROTF Bludgeon based on all of the raves about him, and I wasn't disappointed. He and Mindwipe are two of my favorite movie Decepticons, and they aren't even in the movies! They're better than most of the 'Cons in the movies.

I don't really get affected by hype too much - the interest in a figure has to be there, and sometimes really solid reviews from other fans might get me to pull the trigger if I'm already contemplating it.

But if I don't have an interest in something at the start, I don't usually change my mind based on any hype.

17. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dividing to two here:

Figures I bought due to hype that lived up to the hype.

• Leader class Starscream. HOLY. SHIT. I'd originally figured my only leader purchase for HFTD was going to be Prime because I collect Primes like Rush collects Oxycontin, but people started going on about Starscream and I decided to grab him. Best. Hype purchase. Ever.
    • Breakaway. Because everyone kept going on about "Dawwjet" on /toy/ and I eventually decided to get him even though I wasn't a fan of the color scheme. Needless to say, I not only own the original, but the darker variant as well. Breakaway: The TF so nice I bought him twice :p 
    • Hot Rod (animated). I thought he looked great in preview images and decided I was getting him as soon as I found him. Needless to say, I have not been disappointed save the fact that I can't get that double-bow to stay on in vehicle mode to save my life.
    • Arcee (animated). I thought she looked great in preview images and decided I was getting her as soon as I found her. Needless to say, I have not been disappointed save for the instant stress marks on the thumbs.

Figures I bought due to hype that I ended up selling a while later.
    • ROTF Brawn. He wasn't bad...but...I just wasn't a fan of all the panel wings/door pieces hanging off of him. Don't get me wrong, it's not kibble/panels I object to. I own nearly every voyager Ironhide and Big Convoy has a center spot on my shelf. It's just that I felt Brawn did a very poor job of aligning all those panels in robot mode.
    • Universe Galvatron. This guy fell apart the second I got him out of the package. Seriously, I hadn't even started transforming him and I had foot pieces and what looked like an arm on my lap. I exchanged him for Acid Storm, who's held up very nicely. Still, having read reviews/looked at other instruction sheets, I may try and get another one in the hopes that it'll go better a second time around.
    • Ice Cream Truck Herp and Derp. Loved the concept. Hated the execution. Hated even seeing the pack with them and Demolisher even more because it looked like someone had smeared earwax on the toy.

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I really can't say I've been disappointed with any of the hyped up transformers ...

19. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    The ROTF Bludgeon mold is well overhyped. It's a fun toy with some nice features, and a great concept, but nowhere near as amazing as some would have you believe. I really don't like how the helmet turned out, and the mold has real kibble issues. I also don't agree with those who claim it's a good fit for classics.

I'll second Straxus. I can understand why people love the character, but I don't get the love for the toy. From the first pics I knew it'd be a bit of a shelfwarmer.

ROTF Jetfire, I don't remember there being any hype at all. It's just a really awkward toy. I think with the combination, they just didn't want to compromise Leader Optimus in any way, so Jetfire bore the brunt of it.

I would've preferred if they'd designed Jetfire to combine with a voyager Prime.

TFA Rodimus is one of the best deluxes ever. That toy blew my mind. Such a great altmode and transformation. About the only thing I'll concede could've been better on it is the headsculpt.

TFA Arcee on the other hand, now that one was a bit underwhelming. Points for effort though, and for finally making her a car.

20. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RTS Wreck Gar.