I feel like Beast Wars changes in tone after "Cutting Edge"

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jetstorm, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Does anyone else feel this way? It's probably just me, though. When I was younger I had every episode taped except for the last 10 or so (Cutting Edge was the final episode I had taped). I don't know why, I guess I missed out when they aired and then they never re-aired or I never caught them.

So for years before the Rhino DVDs came out I never had those last 10 episodes. I watched those tapes over and over and over and OVER xD

But now that I have the DVDs I finally get to watch those episodes I never had on tape. Maybe it's because I'm not used to watching these ones as much as the others, but I just feel like from Feral Scream Pt. 1 - onward they seem different from the previous 43 episodes.

Anyone else notice that or is it all in my mind? lol

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's one big thing about them, and that's the slapstick comedy - suddenly, these really overt, in-your-face prat-falls and visual gags that the show hasn't leant on much before start happening in virtually every episode. There's a few that avoid it, but you get these really awkward scenes like Rattrap's pinball routine, Megatron's Taz impression, Silverbolt's nobility being cranked up to unbearably stupid levels, and Waspinator's deaths and dismemberments becoming "squash-and-stretch" cartoon comedy that goes beyond what's been done in the past, like him being cut into ribbon-slices.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I think that was because, aside from that, the show got kinda heavy at that point. I think that's also why Go with the Flow exists instead of Dark Glass.

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

That definitely seems legit, I wasn't sure if it was nostalgia playing tricks on my mind or what lol.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I hated all that stuff. It's probably my only real big beef with Beast Wars. It's like, also, how many times can a rock fall on someone or two combatants from the same side crash into each other during a battle?

6. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

Slapstick or not....it is still the best TF series

7. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

The sudden slap stick was and still is pretty obnoxious to me.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I cannot deny the quality of Beast Wars (although the special place in my heart will always be reserved for G1). However the slapstick marrs it some for me. It's like having a really sexy woman but her eyes are in her nostrils. You can still enjoy her but you know something is very out of place everytime you see it.

9. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Well, I know who to blame when I have a scarred mind and nightmares tonight :) 

10. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    There's a noticeable increase in the comedy in the first half of Season 3, however, you'll also notice that after Feral Scream those comedy moments become less and less until we reach the very heavy handed final episodes. So really it's just a small bit that you have to endure to make it to the end.

11. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

Probably because people sometimes miss the 1st episodes back after a long stretch of reruns (like when episodes return after the winter break) and after "Feral Scream", the show silently switched to airing new episodes on weekdays instead of weekends. "Go with the Flow" aired the following weekend, but I missed "Crossing the Rubicon" until the reruns cycled around again. I made sure to look online for when the final 4 episodes would air and tape them. Those not online or not checking Beast Wars websites would've missed it (what was that guy's name again with the biggest BW site then, Yee?)